What's new

Will Edge Gel by Schick harm a shaving brush

New to DE shaving and currently using Edge Gel by Schick and an Omega shave brush,and was wondering if this type of shaving cream will harm a boars hair brush in any way.I do plan on getting something better but its all I have at the moment.It has a very strong smell in the brush and didn't know if it had any chemicals harmful to the brush.

Last edited:
You would be amazed at how nicely any canned shaving foam behaves with a brush. It doesn't make up for the lack of slickness though.

You would be amazed at how nicely any canned shaving foam behaves with a brush. It doesn't make up for the lack of slickness though.

Sometimes adding a little water to the foam will make the lather slicker. I rarely use canned foams or gels, but I always add water to brushless creams like Cremo to make them slicker.

Edge will not affect your brush at all. Lather it up and use it. You might want to do a little water to the lather to help with the slickness.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I used canned products for many years before using soaps and creams. I always applied the canned products with a shaving brush and had no problems whatsoever.

I will disagree with everyone and say extended use will harm the brush. These canned gels and foams use butane and sometimes propane as propellants. So think of washing your brush in Zippo lighter fluid and what that would do to organic material.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I will disagree with everyone and say extended use will harm the brush. These canned gels and foams use butane and sometimes propane as propellants. So think of washing your brush in Zippo lighter fluid and what that would do to organic material.
Could be....

Shouldn't harm the brush i don't think, gel is just a synthetic soap/detergent, but I don't the brush will be of much use, it's not going to 'lather' like a real soap or cream.

I wouldn't have thought Edge -- a product I have always liked -- would be suitable for use with a brush.

It works great with a brush. I used to do this myself at one point years ago- I shaved with Edge gel and injector razors for a period of time, just using my brush to face-lather.

Top Bottom