What's new

Will a scuttle work with soap.

I am considering buying a scuttle because I like the idea of warm lather :001_rolle, but everything I read indicates that scuttles are used primarily with creams. I use soaps (Tabac and Mama Bear) about 95% of the time.

Usually, I get the brush good and covered with soap, and then switch to a seperate mug to start the lathering process and then finish lathering on my face. I've noticed most guys apply the soap to their face and generate the lather there, and thereby skipping the seperate mug. But since I'm already using a seperate mug to lather the soap, wouldn't a scuttle do the same thing,..... except keep the lather nice and warm?:thumbup:

Comments and opinoins welcomed and wanted.

Thanks
Freehand

Here is how I use my DB 1.5 scuttle.

Fill with hot water, load brush from puck in separate bowl, return to scuttle to build warm lather.

In your process described above you would just move to the scuttle to build lather instead of your lather mug.

A scuttle will work just fine with soaps. If you're already using a mug, the process is the same, except you'll enjoy the warm lather being applied to your face.

I face lather with soaps and use a scuttle. I just put the brush in the scuttle between passes and it keeps it nice and warm. I would like to build my lather in the scuttle too but I can never get the lather to come out at all. The ridges in the scuttle bowls seem to really mess up my lathers because I can do just fine with a smooth walled coffee mug of similar dimensions.

I would like to build my lather in the scuttle too but I can never get the lather to come out at all. The ridges in the scuttle bowls seem to really mess up my lathers because I can do just fine with a smooth walled coffee mug of similar dimensions.

That's strange, one would think the ridges would help the brush agitate the mixture. Have you tried other creams / soaps?

That's strange, one would think the ridges would help the brush agitate the mixture. Have you tried other creams / soaps?

Oh yeah, I have a bunch of soaps and a few creams. The problem I have is that the lather gets aerated too quickly before it comes done into a dense paste or lather. So most of the soap just piles up at the edges of the bowl in big fluffy bubbles and it's a pain to scrape it down and try to integrate back into the brush. In the end I just face lather it most of the way and maybe once it is close to ready I will use the bowl. I don't know why but I have had nothing but annoyance in trying to get it to lather well in the bowl.

Oh yeah, I have a bunch of soaps and a few creams. The problem I have is that the lather gets aerated too quickly before it comes done into a dense paste or lather. So most of the soap just piles up at the edges of the bowl in big fluffy bubbles and it's a pain to scrape it down and try to integrate back into the brush. In the end I just face lather it most of the way and maybe once it is close to ready I will use the bowl. I don't know why but I have had nothing but annoyance in trying to get it to lather well in the bowl.

Have you tried varying the the speed at which you mix? aka slightly slower more deliberate mixing as opposed to the rate one would attempt mixing eggs? If you haven't already, definitely worth giving it a try. I had the same problem, but slowing it down gave me far better control over the rate at which I was introducing air into the mixture, and hence the density of the mix.

Have you tried varying the the speed at which you mix? aka slightly slower more deliberate mixing as opposed to the rate one would attempt mixing eggs? If you haven't already, definitely worth giving it a try. I had the same problem, but slowing it down gave me far better control over the rate at which I was introducing air into the mixture, and hence the density of the mix.

An answer to the question I couldn't figure out how to ask! I'll be giving this a try in the morning. Thanks for the tip!

Top Bottom