What's new

Wilkinson Vs Williams

Hello gents,

I have had trouble finding threads for the following two soaps:

Wilkinson sword soap and Williams mug shaving soap.

Any opinions are welcome.

BTW, these are fairly cheap in price, around 3.2 cents/gram!

Thanks everyone.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Williams isn't bad IMO, it smells like citronella and for the price, you get a good product. It seems that Williams is one of those that you have 2 crowds: The Williams lovers and The Williams haters. I'm in the first one. I don't know if I would keep it in my rotation as there are so many soaps to try. You don't have much too loose with this one.

Wilkinson Bowl, it depends if it's the blue or black bowl. I didn't try the blue. The black bowl scent is very powdery. Taking out the scent, it's works very well.

Wilkinson stick has a very light soapy scent. The stick itself is blue. I find the scent to be too light. However, excellent performer!!

Williams isn't bad IMO, it smells like citronella and for the price, you get a good product. It seems that Williams is one of those that you have 2 crowds: The Williams lovers and The Williams haters. I'm in the first one. I don't know if I would keep it in my rotation as there are so many soaps to try. You don't have much too loose with this one.

Wilkinson Bowl, it depends if it's the blue or black bowl. I didn't try the blue. The black bowl scent is very powdery. Taking out the scent, it's works very well.

Wilkinson stick has a very light soapy scent. The stick itself is blue. I find the scent to be too light. However, excellent performer!!

Hi Luc.

I got the blue bowl and it smells just like a regular jergens soap bar with a hint of mountain fresh deodorant scent.

Ok. The I bought both so I will try them and see.

Thank you.

Got to Shoppers Drug Mart, or any decent Italian Market, & get a tube of Proraso. Don't bother with Williams unless you want to spend 20yrs learning how to get it to lather. The Wilkinson Blue Bowl is good but the Proraso is better. Proraso is an Italian import with menthol & eucalyptus in a tube or bowl and decently priced for and import compared to the foppish english stuff for $30 a gram.

Got to Shoppers Drug Mart, or any decent Italian Market, & get a tube of Proraso. Don't bother with Williams unless you want to spend 20yrs learning how to get it to lather. The Wilkinson Blue Bowl is good but the Proraso is better. Proraso is an Italian import with menthol & eucalyptus in a tube or bowl and decently priced for and import compared to the foppish english stuff for $30 a gram.

Haha, you mean 30 cents/ gram.

But i find Prorasso slightly pricy. Conversly, I found at shopper's drugmart a brand called "the real shaving Co." It is cheaper in price and has an old fashioned feel to it.

What do you think?

Btw, the prorasso you are reffering to is a cream right? Because "the real shaving co" is.

Let me know

Trouble finding a Williams thread???? :blink:

Where's the Lil' Gunny when I need him? :lol:

proxy.php

I have both the Wilkinson Sword Blue and Black bowl, the Blue bowl was easily found in the UK and I can only find the Black bowl in Holland. However, the Wilkinson Sword website only has the Black bowl listed. If your starting out and have nothing else unavailable the WS is fine, Williams is available here, but I have one from a swap and yet to use it. My personal opinion is that cheap creams are better than cheap soaps, I would use a 1 euro Rilanja SC but wouldn't use anything less than a Provence Santé soap.

Last edited:
Can't find a Williams thread? Must not be looking very hard. Heck there's even been one or two weeks of Williams shave weeks. Maybe even a Williams shave month.

Hello gents,

I have had trouble finding threads for the following two soaps:

Wilkinson sword soap and Williams mug shaving soap.

Any opinions are welcome.

BTW, these are fairly cheap in price, around 3.2 cents/gram!

Thanks everyone.

You've said the magic word "Williams".

Around here its like a call to duty. Now you won't have to trouble yourself by searching for threads.

You will get all the usual bouquets and brick bats for the product right here. Just get some popcorn, sit back and hit the refresh button every few minutes ! :001_rolle

I used Williams for twenty years before I realized I was nuts. Williams is only loved because you can brag about how hard it is to make a perfect lather and you look tough for using the cheapest possible soap while pretending you did'nt rip your face off when you shaved. This portrays two of the shavers greatest psycological traps: 1) Self delusion. Williams never made a perfect lather even after using it for 20yrs. 2) Masochism. You'll say you got the perfect shave with it when really your just tearing up your face and enjoying it because you did it with Williams. Nevertheless I extoll the effort to the highest degree and will always prefer the Williams guy to the one who wants to wear Green Irish Tweed & play polo with Prince Charles. $150 for cologne, you must be joking, and they get to use the word Irish in the name.

Last edited:
You'll say you got the perfect shave with it when really your just tearing up your face and enjoying it because you did it with Williams.

Odd that you should say that. When last I shaved, yesterday Friday, I used Williams. A Merkur 1904 armed with a Dorco ST300 blade and I got a BBS shave. I was faceturbating at work later on that day.
Now anybody who's read any of my comments on various Williams threads will attest to the fact that I'm not a Williams fan. It's tough to lather and it breaks down rapidly after lathering the face. While there are far better soaps out there, there are some that are far worse, you can get a good shave with Williams if you prep your face properly, understand the soap you're using and use proper technique with regards to how your beard grows.

Can't find a Williams thread? Must not be looking very hard. Heck there's even been one or two weeks of Williams shave weeks. Maybe even a Williams shave month.

Haha, ok, you're probably right: I didn't have the patience to look for a long time. I guess Williams is very popular!

Thanks.

You've said the magic word "Williams".

Around here its like a call to duty. Now you won't have to trouble yourself by searching for threads.

You will get all the usual bouquets and brick bats for the product right here. Just get some popcorn, sit back and hit the refresh button every few minutes ! :001_rolle

Haha, cool, Manish.

I used Williams for twenty years before I realized I was nuts. Williams is only loved because you can brag about how hard it is to make a perfect lather and you look tough for using the cheapest possible soap while pretending you did'nt rip your face off when you shaved. This portrays two of the shavers greatest psycological traps: 1) Self delusion. Williams never made a perfect lather even after using it for 20yrs. 2) Masochism. You'll say you got the perfect shave with it when really your just tearing up your face and enjoying it because you did it with Williams. Nevertheless I extoll the effort to the highest degree and will always prefer the Williams guy to the one who wants to wear Green Irish Tweed & play polo with Prince Charles. $150 for cologne, you must be joking, and they get to use the word Irish in the name.

:lol:.
Wow, awesome feedback.

thx Baartel

Top Bottom