What's new

Wilkinson sword plastic. So wrong..

Well, my first razor was a Wilkinson sword plastic one. Long time I have used it very few times and then forgot about it. I have been using SE razors almost about 2 months and I am really enjoying them. Today I thought to give this Wilkinson a try. It has been months without a usage and I didn't remember how it shaved at all.

I put a fresh Astra SP blade. Let me say that I am totally impressed for good. This is a lovely mild razor. I got a very good 2 pass shave. It wasn't that great going Atg on my neck but I haven't been good there with any other razor.

I wonder if I had mastered this razor during this time, would I ever needed another razor.

Does anyone has had a similar experience? By the way, do not through any razor.

I have the Treet version, and tried it once or twice with the blade that came with it.
For me the razor is mild, very mild, and not so efficient, requiring too many passes.
The same blade worked nicely in my other DE razors.

The Dorco PL602 is another plastic razor that is also nice and mild, but much more
efficient.

I also had the Treet version. That was the only razor I trashed due to its its mildness. The other was Feather Popular that I sold out due to its mildness.

After using carts for years I bought this razor last december to see if I still liked a safety razor ( I started with a safety razor in the 70s).
It's a good razor if you have a regular beard growth. Although it's very light, it feel sturdy.
In netherlands we can buy them for €3,90 incl 5 Wilkinson blades and free shipping

Congratulations! My ‘interpretation’ is that your technique has improved substantially!! :a14::a14:

I agree, it might be that reason. I could say that I got the best shave ever from a. De razor.

It might be that I like mild razors that have an angle like a single edge razor.

In the UK you can get these things for less than £5, complete with 5 x Wilkinson blades.

I'm currently using one of these and a Rockwell 6C, swapping around every few days, and I think the humble plastic razor is almost the same shave as the Rockwell R3 plate.

Maybe a Rockwell R2½ plate, if you can imagine such a thing. It mows down 24 hour growth, anyway.

I remember being baffled by one of these plastic Wilkinsons (provided by my mother) and a Gillette Slim Twist? (circa 1970 TTO with a white, oval cross-section handle), because at the time my idea of shaving was to run up a week or 10 days stubble, and then remove it with my dad's old open-comb 1930s Gillette.

The others just didn't work, on that sort of mess.

these are a fine starting point as they are cost affective and a nice mild shave . so even if you find you cant get on with de shaving your only going to be out 5-6 quid not a big loss .

Well, today I had another great shave.

This razor has some "premium" features :

1. Keeps the blade very firm.
2. It has the blade tabs covered
3. Relatively nice weight.
4. Good handle grip

I am sure that anyone with 1 year under the belt de shaving experience, would appreciate it a lot.

.....and it's a 2-piece razor !!!

In my pride and arrogance I too dismissed this razor as merely a cheap toy .....how wrong I was !!!!

Just try it with a Feather blade and enjoy the experience and sensation !!!!!

Last edited:

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I have one and I must admit I was surprised by the Shave it gave me. I used it is a Wilkinson Sword week where all the shaving products that I used apart from Aftershave was Wilkinson Sword.

Well, today I had another great shave.

This razor has some "premium" features :

1. Keeps the blade very firm.
2. It has the blade tabs covered
3. Relatively nice weight.
4. Good handle grip

I am sure that anyone with 1 year under the belt de shaving experience, would appreciate it a lot.
My first DE razor was the Feather Popular. Liked it so much I kept on DE shaving!

My Rockwell 6C works almost perfectly with the R3 plate loaded (general face duty, and who wants to change the plates with soapy hands? Not me), but it worked even better with R4, on all the uncontroversial bits of my face.

I think the way to go (for me) is to use the Rockwell on R4 (or maybe I could even get away with R5?) on the open terrain, with an already well run-in blade, and then clean up with the Plastic Wilkie and a new sharp blade, that needs a bit of running-in.

I think that the cheap, soft-headed Delrin thing is your cleanup razor to use alongside something you like better, the classic sidekick.

It's not ever going to get hero status, but it could be Robin to your current Batman.

Last edited:
These razors sell on Ebay Australia for $2.76 They are listed as "Pro Classic Stainless Steel Manual Shaver" and marked unbranded but what you receive is the maufactures branded razor which is YingJili. They also make razor blades. One of my sons had trouble making the transition to DE shaving, after a lifetime of carts he was a bit heavy handed and he used to cut himself often, however this razor solved that problem. He has a fairly heavy beard and I don't know how he gets such a good shave with such a mild razor but he does. I have two of these razors , I use them primarily for blind testing blades. The geometry and alignement is perfect, probably the biggest shaving bargain available.

BTW Another for interesting cheap razor checkout a Remei. Sold as "Men's Double Edge Safety Razor Traditional Classic Manual Shaving Shaver" $3.89. These have a tech type cap with corner location tabs but also have the traditionl hole location studs. Abolutely no channce of bad blade alignment. Unlike the YingJili it has a chrome metal handle and is aggressive, it has more blade exposire and blade gap than a slim on setting 9. I have heard one comment that they feel a lot like shaving with a Muhle R41. I don't have an R41 so I can't comment except to say they provied a very close shave.

We call them cheap, but I forgot to add that this Wilkinson doesn't rust and it can be washed so easily. Remember zamac? :)

I am not getting BBS under neck (haven't ever without irritation with any razor) yet. Otherwise I would give it 9 out of 10.

OK, a true BBS is a mirage for some of us (in my case, the Fu Manchu zone is almost impossible, even by using an M3). At least this cheap DE razor totally sorts out my neck.

The "bad" thing about the Wilkinson is that it is plastic, but that is also the good thing, because it is so gentle on your skin.

I have the Treet version, and tried it once or twice with the blade that came with it.
For me the razor is mild, very mild, and not so efficient, requiring too many passes.
The same blade worked nicely in my other DE razors.

The Dorco PL602 is another plastic razor that is also nice and mild, but much more
efficient.

+1
Ridiculously mild and inefficient. Even after 4 passes with a Polsilver Iridium Super can't get BBS. So probably good only for shaving womens legs.

I have used this one a lot lately. Really smooth and very hard to get irritation from it. Really need to go ATG to get the closest shave but this is normal for every razor. Mostly I use it with 2 WTG passes or 1WTG & 1 XTG. If it is one thing I would fix or complain about is that the head is quite wide so for me I need to use some nose stretching when shaving the moustache / nostril area.

Ah, the Wilkinson Sword Classic, truly one of the under-appreciated gems of the wetshaving world and a real bargain for the cost-conscious shaver. I have one as my almost-every-day DE and it gives me an easy, comfortable, DFS/DFS+ shave every time I use it. I usually load it with Feathers but the Wilkinson Sword blades it comes with aren't bad either. I've used mine heavily for the last several years and it still looks and works like new. I keep an unopened spare around just in case.

Top Bottom