What's new

wilkinson sword in the black box

hi as I had run out of my derby premium today I swapped to some Wilkinson's that I hadn't used as in my previous razor they cut me ( yes a cheep Asian razor ), but put them in my ming shi 2000s and loved them 2 passes and almost bbs 3 tidy up pass and a bbs no drag shave . now if this is what a Wilkinson can do in the good quality but cheep razor just placed a order for some perma sharps to give them a try .
anyone else have any thoughts on this ?

The black box Wilkies are German made & give me X7-10 DFS's. The only Asian razors that impressed me is Yaqi & Baili. Excellent Q.C. IMO.

Those are the German ones. Quality blades. If you have very tough whiskers, on shave 1 they might drag. On shave 2 they feel sharper. They are very long lasting blades.

I also like the German Wilkinson Swords. I find them to be better than the ones made by Gillette under license from Wilkinson Sword, both some might prefer the Gillette ones.

As mentioned above, most razor blades have a coating that makes them smooth, but slightly less sharp on the first shave. The "Comfort Coating" on Personna Lab Blues is particularly thick, so the difference in sharpness between the first and second shaves can be significant.

Although there are blades less sharp than Derby Premium, most of the blades you see mentioned on the forum will be sharper than either Derby Premium or Derby Extra. However, for many people, Derby blades work well. For those of us with tough beards, however, they are not sharp enough.

I'd rather shave with a lawnmower blade than a WS.

Or at least for me, the end results are the same.

An absolute bloodbath of a blade no matter what razor i use!

I found the one I used to be very sharp and very long lasting (95 shaves). Probably last longer now that I'm better at shaving, but they are very much top of the line blades.

Cuts or weepers are operator error, not a blade issue. You can cut yourself with a blade too dull to cut hair.

I found the one I used to be very sharp and very long lasting (95 shaves). Probably last longer now that I'm better at shaving, but they are very much top of the line blades.

Cuts or weepers are operator error, not a blade issue. You can cut yourself with a blade too dull to cut hair.

+1

Chefs always say that it is easier to cut yourself with a dull knife than a sharp one because you apply too much force when using a dull one. Of course, if you are accustomed to shaving with a less sharp blade using pressure and put a much sharper one in your razor without reducing pressure, the results will not be pretty.

I get great shaves with Wilkinson black tuck blades! Smooth and long lasting blades. For myself I have gotten 15 shaves out of one blade.

Top Bottom