What's new

Wilkinson Sword from India - how do they compare?

I find it really confusing trying to figure out which Wilkinson Sword is which and which ones are the "good ones" ... India? Russia? China? And I'm looking for alternatives to buying Russian (even though I love the Russian blades)

I think these are from India but hoping someone with experience can tell me where these fit in the sharpness rating
View attachment 1578108

Way too blunt for me!
They are smooth and don't tug, but I can never get a close shave from them.

I rank them just under Astra-SP, which I don't regard as sharp either.

I find them good n smooth. Not quite as sharp n close as the Chinese offering which I’ve had some of my best shaves with! Some may find these are better for longevity, but I bin after 3 shaves bc I’ve only found a couple of blades can go past that. but the subsequent shaves aren’t great, usually have to go over areas several times to get a decent shave, that has some irritation and razor burn accompanying.

Way too blunt for me!
They are smooth and don't tug, but I can never get a close shave from them.

I rank them just under Astra-SP, which I don't regard as sharp either.
Interesting! I bought some Astra SP recently and they are not at all sharp. The Wilkinson Sword from India are much, much sharper than the Astra SP. At least for me and with the batches that I recently bought.

Interesting! I bought some Astra SP recently and they are not at all sharp. The Wilkinson Sword from India are much, much sharper than the Astra SP. At least for me and with the batches that I recently bought.

Couldn't agree more I've recently bought a pack of Astra SP and they are not as sharp as the other two blades that I usually use (Gillette Nacet and Thai Gillette super thins). Astra SS are much more smoother and sharper than SP imho.

I compared the two many years ago so I could be a bit off.

What I recall for sure is that neither are remotely sharp enough for my requirements.

This is anecdotal, of course, but I find the Astra SP and Voskhod to be too dull for my whiskers. The Indian Gillette Wilkinson Sword and Astra SS are enough to cut for me and I use them in some razors and when I want a safer shave. They are not nearly as sharp as a Nacet or Permasharp, however.

Got some of the Gillette Wilkinson Swords from India recently and have used a few. Decent blades and the price is right, but probably won’t replace them when they’re all gone. I find the Treet Dura Sharp blades work better.

Manufactured March of this year so they’re really fresh, date code of T1 on each blade. Kind of cool that Gillette still uses the date code system on these blades.
IMG_8053.jpeg
IMG_8054.jpeg

IMG_7967.jpeg
IMG_7970.jpeg

I haven't tried a Treet yet -- it's on my list to try though.

Mine say S 3 on the blades MFD: 08/22 on the box

I've done two complete shaves in an R41 GS using just one edge, I flipped the blade over for the second shave to use the other bevel face of the same edge. I reckon I'll use the fresh edge for the next two shaves and then toss it.

Surprised to get 4 good shaves out of one and it doesn't really feel like the first edge is done yet but at 5 cents I think I can afford to toss it after 4 shaves

:em2300:

Last edited:

lasta

Blade Biter
Back long ago Wilkinson had Marine Corps Silent Drill Platoon in their commercials.

Use to buy that brand, this thread will have me look for 100 to try.
I think you've mistaken Red Coats for Marines!

Those old Wilkinsons were made in England, stock is pretty much dry now.

I've tried 4-5 varieties. IMO, none of them were standouts, especially at "collector" prices.

Back long ago Wilkinson had Marine Corps Silent Drill Platoon in their commercials.

Use to buy that brand, this thread will have me look for 100 to try.
Getting ready for our final inspection before graduation at MCRD San Diego in 1966, our DIs handed each of us a Wilkinson Sword blade. They believed it would give us a much better shave than the Gillette Blue Blades we were issued, and they were right. That and more than the typical 30 seconds to shave resulted in a close and pretty bloodless shave.

Getting ready for our final inspection before graduation at MCRD San Diego in 1966, our DIs handed each of us a Wilkinson Sword blade. They believed it would give us a much better shave than the Gillette Blue Blades we were issued, and they were right. That and more than the typical 30 seconds to shave resulted in a close and pretty bloodless shave.

MCRD in “66”, was interesting, getting special blade for special shave.

Top Bottom