What's new

Wilkinson Sword Double Edge TTO

Hi everyone,
It's been over 5 years since I've been on here! Unbelievable really, but I haven't returned to cart shaving, I'm still a big DE man and it's only recently I decided to buy some new stuff. I've been using Fatip OC and Muhle R41 since 2012 and mainly Proraso soaps and balms. I'm pretty well settled now but I saw this last week and decided to try it out!
It's a Wilki TTO razor made in China and for €15 is beautifully chromed and has more weight than any of my other razors. I tried it out and after 3 passes it gave me a great shave. It's a little long winded compared to the ferocious R41 so It's up for sale on a local adverts site along with a soap stick and a cheap Omega Boar brush. Perfect for a beginner!
It's obviously based on a Gillette Superspeed from the 60s, my father had one with a plastic handle until he was swayed by the infamous Gillette GII cart malarky in 1976! All in all it's a great value razor and the fact it's easily available is a good sign that DE is alive and kicking!
Anyway happy new year to you all and watch this space as I've got some exciting goodies on the way now for 2021!
regards, A

Screen shot 2020-12-30 at 12.13.26.png
Screen shot 2020-12-30 at 12.13.56.png
Screen shot 2020-12-30 at 12.14.07.png

It's a Wilki TTO razor made in China and for €15 is beautifully chromed and has more weight than any of my other razors. I tried it out and after 3 passes it gave me a great shave.
Rumour is it is manufactured by Weishi, a long handled version with a different handle. It is also being sold in many supermarkets so competition for the King C Gillette three piece razor.

Yup, if you'd prefer a shorter handle, Weishi makes those, too.

Baili also offers an inexpensive, pretty well made TTO, that can be found under their own name or rebranded, from a number of sellers on Amazon, eBay and AliExpress.

The handle on this one is 85 mm; in some countries, Amazon sells a longer Baili TTO under their Solimo brand, can be had for chips bundled with Personna Tomy blades.

The 100 blades bundle costs less than RBC asks for the blades alone.

Tomys are also sold by Tesco and I believe some other UK private label, they're nice blades IMO, fairly sharp when new and they age gracefully.

Sorry to dig up this old thread but probably no need to open a new one just for some additional discussion about this TTO. I happen to have one of these for about 3 months of seldom use, and I already see some issue with chrome coating on its butterfly head. In place where probably metal of a blade sticks with edge of butterfly head chrome is peeled off. But to my astonisment the color of metal underneath is yellowish? Like brass? I expected zamak alloy, but yellow zamak?
Can somebody tell what metal is used for this otherwise cheap razor.

Attachments

• 98E97549-B29B-4158-8749-31D7FC096119.jpeg
    98E97549-B29B-4158-8749-31D7FC096119.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 58
Off the top of mind, my recollection is that Weishi's TTOs are indeed made of brass.

Do you find that surprising? Neither effective nor well-made razors have to be expensive.

With that said, even though the Weishi might be solidly made, Westerners eem to find them disappointing compared to other razors.

The KCG for instance can be found for about the same price, and has an excellent (some say Muhle) head. It has firmly established itself as my go-to DE, and even though the handle is a bit long for my taste, replacing it is more of a very affordable luxury than necessity, except for the super-knurly-or-die folks.

Off the top of mind, my recollection is that Weishi's TTOs are indeed made of brass.

Do you find that surprising? Neither effective nor well-made razors have to be expensive.

With that said, even though the Weishi might be solidly made, Westerners eem to find them disappointing compared to other razors.

The KCG for instance can be found for about the same price, and has an excellent (some say Muhle) head. It has firmly established itself as my go-to DE, and even though the handle is a bit long for my taste, replacing it is more of a very affordable luxury than necessity, except for the super-knurly-or-die folks.
Yes, I understand this TTO is cheap razor (and even though not that aggressive/effective it still bites me if I am not focused. For me it is not a favorite razor of mine). It’s not very comfortable. But ok for occasional use when travel.
but yes I’m quite surprised it is not complete zamak but brass, while much expensive Muhle R41 is mostly zamak except the thread? (But I saw Mihle is making R41 stainless steel now so I’m happy. In case my zamak R41 rot I have replacement). KCG, yep similar price tag but muhle head much better for starting traditional wet shaving. But KCG is zamak too right?

This has been my only razor for the past few moths since i got it. I'm a newbie, started wet shaving last year. After a learning period I find it quite good with Astra SP blades. (I'm still going through my sample pack)
I can compare it only to a Wilkinson Classic and Q Shave adjustable, but for now I'm happy with it.

I have one and I like it very much. It is a lot of razor for the $13.50 it usually sells for on Amazon.

If the OP was using his R41 since 2012, then he was using the 2011 model, which is very agressive. Given this, it comes as no surprise that he finds it mild!

Really. It is a nice shaving razor and very hard to beat for its construction and shave quality, given the price.

I have the 2013 R41 head design and the Wilkinson TTO shaves close to the R41. I would rate the DE89 head at a five out of a 1-10c scale. I would give the Wilkinson a "6" for its aggressiveness. I shaved with mine yesterday and it did a great job.

I use my R41 head all the time. I don't particularly care for shaving my mustache area with the R41, so I do that at the end of my shave, with the Wilkinson. I can even use it to touch-up after the R41.

As a note: The KCG costs twice the price as the Wilkinson TTO.

Top Bottom