What's new

Wilkinson Sword Classic (German) - What your opinion on these blade?

The real Wilkinson Sword blades are my favourites. They give the best shave of any DE blade I've tried.
But there are so many fake ones out there..
The Indian ones are like shaving with a cheese-grater.
The real deal is smooth like butter.

I actually found these blades quite dull, I thought it would be a little sharper reading reviews and bought a 100 pack, I was able to grab a couple 5 pack of Wilkinson Sword Classic that was made in England. They look identical except the English version came in a white plastic container instead of black, the printing on the blades look identical as well but the English blades were much sharper and smoother and also lasted much longer.
Whenever I give out blade samples to newbies everyone always use the German Wilkinson Sword Classic first and the Russian blades where always the last one's they try Astra's and Polsilvers sometimes don't even get used.
It's always the German Wilkinson Sword Classic that everyone tries first, then the Crystals or Red IP's, with the Russian blades GSB or Rapira Swedish Super Steel gets used first and the Astra and Polsilver were always the last one's that gets used.

Its interesting the packaging and where the blade's were made plays a big factor in people's choices in which blade were used first even when I tell them the Astra's and Polsilvers where quite popular.
I would probably have done the same thing if I haven't read reviews of the blades.

German engineering were always thought of highly especially when it comes to vehicles etc. I bought 100 pack of the German Wilkinson Sword Classic without trying it first and it didn't work well for me but it does for a lot of other people, I realized most German made blades didn't work well for me, ie. Merkur, Vander hagen, Croma..However most blades from the St.Petersburg factory work well for me and also a couple Indian blades Gillette 7o'clock Super Platinum and Super Max Titanium work great, I also prefer Kai blades to Feathers.

There are still a couple I would like to try like Astor and Bolzanos.
Blade's are very much YMMV and there are tons of different brands available.

I'll throw in one more comment here. I tried these (German) because they show up at some small markets around me. I love them! Gave some to my son in law (#10 on your adjustable razor) and he agrees. If you are in Wisconsin and near a Woodman's store they have them for a dollar a 5 pack.

I'll throw in one more comment here. I tried these (German) because they show up at some small markets around me. I love them! Gave some to my son in law (#10 on your adjustable razor) and he agrees. If you are in Wisconsin and near a Woodman's store they have them for a dollar a 5 pack.
I like them too. There are several independent paharmacies around here that carry them for a little more than a buck for a five pack. I just tried them and got 8 shaves and it was still going strong; I binned it because I was anxious to try a Treet Dura Sharp that I had just gotten.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I believe that the 1962 Wilkinson classic blade use to have 3 different coatings and it was revolution in blade MFG, shavers loved them because they outlasted the competition for the # of shaves.

I believe that the 1962 Wilkinson classic blade use to have 3 different coatings and it was revolution in blade MFG, shavers loved them because they outlasted the competition for the # of shaves.
I have 3 of these blades through the GBE. Have tried one in my slim, but too aggressive. Need to look at this one again when the right time comes.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

I like them, but not enough to lift them out of a large pack of also-rans and become a regular in my rotation.

I love them,they are not as agressive as some blades are ,but they are very smooth.
They gave me a lot of DFS ,no irittation.:a14:

I didn't think much of the German Wilkies at first, but after getting 3 weeks of every other day shaves out of one loaded in my Rockwell I like them.

I use it today in my R41. Best one in R41 for me. I have realy hard beard Feather is 2 shaves in R41 with Wilkinson i menage to get 4 of them.

Today set up Callani Dubai, Bello bay rum, R41 with Wilkinson and brus was handmade form our old member from brijacnica King Bog Oak super silvertip

Chears

Today I had fresh one loaded up in my 57 flare tip about 4 days of growth. I showered and then hot wash cloth and pears bar for pre shave prep then lathered up with my modern williams soap I went wtg but when I try get my mustache area seem to tug for me the most. I got the usual nick or two on my neck area usual spot due to my hair pattern and coarse hair. Rest of the shave seem fine lot of audible noise from the blade I noticed but I after I finished my shave after few passes wtg xtg I used my alum block and my face burned bad any help? I usually don't get much issues with my house brand personnas or any Gillette platinum plus blades and get a cleaner shave

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Ron R

Today I had fresh one loaded up in my 57 flare tip about 4 days of growth. I showered and then hot wash cloth and pears bar for pre shave prep then lathered up with my modern williams soap I went wtg but when I try get my mustache area seem to tug for me the most. I got the usual nick or two on my neck area usual spot due to my hair pattern and coarse hair. Rest of the shave seem fine lot of audible noise from the blade I noticed but I after I finished my shave after few passes wtg xtg I used my alum block and my face burned bad any help? I usually don't get much issues with my house brand personnas or any Gillette platinum plus blades and get a cleaner shave

If we are talking about the Wilkinson sword classic blade you changed to I believe it has multi coatings and you might have had a reaction to one of them. From my readings of different threads the German and English version are the best and the ones from India maybe not up to the standard, the ones from India are not called classics.
If you have not changed soap and have a new blade and have not changed your routine I would say "blade" reaction.

If we are talking about the Wilkinson sword classic blade you changed to I believe it has multi coatings and you might have had a reaction to one of them. From my readings of different threads the German and English version are the best and the ones from India maybe not up to the standard, the ones from India are not called classics.
If you have not changed soap and have a new blade and have not changed your routine I would say "blade" reaction.
Its the classic German ones 5 pack ended picking up 2 packs for 99 cents each while back at a grocery store chain here in the Midwest think last time I tried these when I was a kid in a red tip not having a good technique and didn't like them are they spouse to be sharp or is it that I have tough coarse hair make a difference

Ron R

Its the classic German ones 5 pack ended picking up 2 packs for 99 cents each while back at a grocery store chain here in the Midwest think last time I tried these when I was a kid in a red tip not having a good technique and didn't like them are they spouse to be sharp or is it that I have tough coarse hair make a difference
Well for $.99 for 10 that seems odd to me, could they be cloned ones? At least you are not out a lot of $.

It never ceases to amaze me how subjective one’s opinion of a DE blade can be. I bought a couple of boxes of the German Wilkinson’s based reviews here and I was not impressed. Eight months later, and with improved technique, I gave them another try. Sorry. They are not for me. I use Minora Platinums as my default point of reference, as those blades are my favorites. The Swords gave me a weeper and some irritation. Close shave, but I prefer zero cuts and as little razor burn as possible. The Minora’s are close to stupid-proof for me in my Futur set on 4. Dorco Platinums are currently my second favorites. I’m going to give away the remainder of the Swords. If anyone wants them, send me a message. Pay me for shipping and I will gift them to you.

Does Wilkinson swords (German) smooth out after few shaves? Today I went back to my 57 flaretip with 3 days of growth probably shave (3) lathered up with proraso green seem to get a better shave less nicks or irritation with my shave did wtg xtg with some touch ups

Nicks and irritation are a result of how you are moving the razor around on your face, not the blade -- any razor blade with slice you up if you do something wrong, and a blade dull enough not to irritate when you use too much pressure won't cut hair at all.

Lighten up the pressure on the razor and pay close attention to the angle you are using, the angle to which the hair grows, and remember NOT to rotate your wrist as you move the razor and you should get less irritation and no nicks or weepers.

Even a blade too dull to cut hair will slice you if you dig a corner in or move the edge sideways with any pressure on it -- I can still remember the slice I gave myself the first time I tried to shave doing just that.

You only need enough pressure to keep the edge on the surface of your skin, the blade is more than sharp enough to cut the hairs if you use the correct angle and motions. This can be difficult for a while if you shaved with cartridges, which require significant pressure to cut at all, and float on a swivel so you don't need to control angle.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Never had any problem with the German Wilkinson Swords and I wish the stores in my area still carried them. Sure, of course they're not quite as good as the old UK Wilkies. What they do provide for me is a smooth and close shave but I shave every day and don't use them to try and mow down half a week's stubble.

My experience of them is vastly the same as many of the comments on here, I don't find them great, they are tuggy so I don't think they are very sharp.

The English made Wilkies (pre 2000 I believe) are superb though, they are a little pricey but you can quite often find them on Ebay. Deffo worth seeking some out as they are great, last a long time too so price per shave isn't too bad.

Top Bottom