What's new

Wilkinson Sword Classic/Astra

Hi guys,

right now my favorite blade is the Wilkinson Sword Classic (german version). Since they are a bit pricey compared to lets say Astras.... how do the Astra blades hold up in comparison??

Thinking about getting one of those 100 boxes off of Amazon for 11 bucks.... and dont want to downgrade to much, if at all...

Thanks

JC

I have both, and the Astra SPs hold up well. They're pretty sharp and last awhile for me at least. I have a heavy beard also. I'd say pull the trigger...good blade for cheap....just keep in mind that what works for me might not work for you so YMMV.

The YMMV applies for everything... I know :thumbup1:

Thanks for the quick reply... glad someone has the same blades already in use:thumbup:

Just out of curiousity... how many shaves do you get out of the Wilkis? I have found that after 4 they start tugging... but maybe thats just me...

I moved from the wilkinson to the astras, which I personally prefer. But maybe get 5-10 astras to try them before you buy 100 pack based on what other people say. Honestly, if you like the wilkinsons, the price difference cant be that bad when youre buying by the 100 - I would be tempted to just buy 100 in the ones that you like - you're going to be using them a good long time!

I won't pull the trigger without a good bit of consideration... If I don't like them I probably can PIF them on to someone that loves them...so all thats on the line is 10 bucks...

I think I'll dive in...

Thanks

I'll still have a couple of packs of the Wilkis around...

German Wilkinsons are my favorite. I have about 400 in reserve right now. A few months ago I bought a pack of Astras (green) and had a terrible shave with the first blade, so the rest of the pack sits unused. Of course, YMMV. My Wilkinsons seem to last about 10 shaves before I feel like changing the blade, but it's not because of any discomfort. I've never checked to see how many shaves I can get out of one, but for me they are long lasting and very comfortable.

I do like them... but the last one I had to toss after shave #4... started tugging... we'll see how long the next one lasts...

If you see me doing a PIF with Astra Blades... you know what happend... :biggrin1:

I like both. Currently trying to decide on the blade rotation for new razor. These are both in the running!

I have both the German Wilkinson Sword and Astra SP. Both work well for me, though the Wilkinson blade works best in my Aristocrat where as the Astra blade works great in every razor I've used them with.

I've had better luck with the German Wilks vs. the Astras. For cheap I'd say the Nacet blades are really good.

Astra SP remain in my rotation and inn my top 5 "go to" blade list. At 11 cents a blade they are a very good blade. I use Astras in every DE razor I have and typically use them for 6-7 shaves.

Astra SP remain in my rotation and inn my top 5 "go to" blade list. At 11 cents a blade they are a very good blade. I use Astras in every DE razor I have and typically use them for 6-7 shaves.
That's on my list for tomorrow. I posted a couple pics of the Astra SS and the Astra SP in the closeup pics thread and the edges are very different. One has a wider bevel. Have you tried the Astra SS?

I've had better luck with the German Wilks vs. the Astras. For cheap I'd say the Nacet blades are really good.

+1. I had a large backstock of Astras, which I'm currently selling/trading because, while they are good blades, they are not at all comparable to Nacets. And you can get Nacets for $10/100 if you buy in bulk and can tolerate waiting for shipping from Jordan. I still think Astras give a fine shave, but (for me) Nacets, GSBs, and other affordable blades give exceptional shaves.

That's on my list for tomorrow. I posted a couple pics of the Astra SS and the Astra SP in the closeup pics thread and the edges are very different. One has a wider bevel. Have you tried the Astra SS?

I think I have only tried one Astra SS so I can't really judge them. I have tried other SS blades and I tend to slightly prefer coated blades.

Nacet... hmm... you don't hear that much about then. Maybe I'll give them a try and see... Thanks for the suggestion. I think I'll hold off with the purchase until the new year... Christmas is coming... and you never know ;-)

But i have gotten a few more of the Wilkis... for now they work with that razor well... but the second razor is already shipped...so lets see :001_rolle

I think this is the start to a beautiful... hobby...lol

I think I have only tried one Astra SS so I can't really judge them. I have tried other SS blades and I tend to slightly prefer coated blades.

Well I tried the Astra SP and it wasn't that great. Went back to my pics and if they have that irregular spiky look they don't work in my razor on 3. I pulled out a new one for a couple swipes and it wasn't that great either. Then I tried a Bic and was very pleased with it. Very smooth and no drag, no mishaps. I should be able to tell from a visual inspec. whether a blade will be good or bad in my razor.

Last edited:
First day with Astra was ok but didn't wow me.
proxy.php

Bic was smooooth. Also looks that way up close.
proxy.php

Interested in trying the Wilkinson since they are one of the more popular blades lately. I have a couple on the way.

Last edited:
Still liking the Wilkis... but tried a Bolzano the first time... and was very happy. Lets see how they hold up. Wilkinson is still the goto.

Looking for a Nacet right now... I think I really should just get me a sampler or so... :001_rolle

Top Bottom