What's new

Wilkinson Sword Brush

I decided to pick up a Wilkinson Sword bristle brush for a few bucks at Walmart to use as my travel brush. I think with tax it was somewhere around $6.50. And I have to admit this is a great brush for the price. Perfect for travel because if it is lost or damaged it really doesn't matter because it is so inexpensive. After the first shave a few bristles fell out but since then it has been a solid performer. Anyone else use one of these brushes as their travel brush? Or their daily brush?

It was the brush I started with alongside the Wilkinson Sword Classic razor. For the price of it you can't complain but IMHO I think it would be better if it was a boar instead of synthetic.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I think it's probably the same or similar to the one I picked up as my first ever brush when I decided to move from cartridge to DE a few months back.

At the time, maybe still, they were doing a promotion in the UK where it was a different colour and had the words "Perfect for a very British shave" on the front, and the words "Made in Germany" on the base!

Nevertheless it served me very well until I became aware of small black and white creatures that scurry around in the dark

It was the brush I started with alongside the Wilkinson Sword Classic razor. For the price of it you can't complain but IMHO I think it would be better if it was a boar instead of synthetic.

Is it synthetic? I thought it was some kind of natural fibre...maybe even boar?

Is it synthetic? I thought it was some kind of natural fibre...maybe even boar?
I had that thought a few years back when I had mine so I sent Wilkinson Sword an email asking them if it was boar or synthetic.

They replied that they used to make a pure badger version of it but that was discontinued several years previously. The brush in production is a synthetic and they don't use any animal products in anything they make.

Hope this answers your question.

I had that thought a few years back when I had mine so I sent Wilkinson Sword an email asking them if it was boar or synthetic.

They replied that they used to make a pure badger version of it but that was discontinued several years previously. The brush in production is a synthetic and they don't use any animal products in anything they make.

I am shocked on two points. First, that it used to be pure badger...and second that the current version is synthetic. I always said I would never buy a synthetic brush and here I had one lurking in my midst all this time. Still, its a great brush. It might just make me a synthetic convert!

It's definitely not Synthetic - it's boar hair/pure bristle.
Bristle is just a generic term for the hair/fibre used in a shaving brush it isn't specifically limited to boars. IMHO if Wilkinson Sword say it's synthetic and they're the ones that make it then it's good enough for me. You could always contact them for an update.

Bristle is just a generic term for the hair/fibre used in a shaving brush it isn't specifically limited to boars. IMHO if Wilkinson Sword say it's synthetic and they're the ones that make it then it's good enough for me. You could always contact them for an update.

Definitely some sort of animal hair - it smells like it as well.

100% not synthetic

Yes...now that you mention it...a wet synthetic brush wouldn't smell like the south end of a north bound boar...

Using during this 3 week trip, it has gotten softer over this trip and now when face lathering feels like it needs a touch more backbone, I now liken it to my semogue 620, just not bloomed quite as much.
2017-10-07 16.06.49.jpg

About the synthetic/boar question...
I yanked one of the bristles out of a Canadian-purchased WS brush last night and lit it with a Bic lighter. It burned with no bead and left a powdery ash. The smell was ... well ... soapy.
I did the same to a bristle from a Body Shop synthetic (just to compare), and it mostly just shortened, leaving a bead on the end, so it melted more than burned.

This is where I got the idea for the burn test:
proxy.php

I would expect that boar bristle (and badger hair) would behave most like wool on this chart, and it did.

Whatever they are, where I work we send out a few hundred a week along with their soap and plenty of Aqua Velva, so it must be popular! Me? Tried it, but nope. That was about 3 years ago, and I can say that one was a boar or boar-ish bristle. It had a wild bloom after my shave, and synthetics don't do that.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I have been using a Wilkinson Sword brush this week in my Wilkinson Sword week but I find that it looks great but for me it has no back bone. My $2.00 avatar has more back bone. I do like the oval shape of the black handle but the brush its self is disappointing.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
image.jpeg Here is a picture of my Wilkinson Sword brush. It has Wilkinson Sword 6MBH Made in Germany on the base. Looks great but very floppy.

First brush and still my work horse. Nothing fancy but nothing wrong with it either. Barely a bristle lost in three years.

They lied to you.
It even says at the base of the brush, "6MBH" the BH standing for "boar hair".

Definitely a boar brush. Ive used mine along side the omega 49 i received in a PIF for almost a year, i use the omega for face lathering and the Wilkinson for bowl lathering.

Sent from my Redmi S2 using Tapatalk

They lied to you.
It even says at the base of the brush, "6MBH" the BH standing for "boar hair".

Definitely a boar brush. Ive used mine along side the omega 49 i received in a PIF for almost a year, i use the omega for face lathering and the Wilkinson for bowl lathering.

Sent from my Redmi S2 using Tapatalk
It's actually GMBH, not 6MBH meaning that the company is Limited liability (LLC) which is common for a lot of German companies and has no bearing on what the bristles are

Attachments

• 15844479154988058200106142951807.jpg
    15844479154988058200106142951807.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 46
Top Bottom