What's new

Wilkinson sword blade spots

I ordered a whole barber box 100ct of Wilkinson blades. The box came sealed and the black tucks inside were all sealed too. The date on the carton is from 2017. Since this is my first time buying wilkinson blades I was wondering if this is how there suppose to look. I opened up 3 tucks and they all looked the same with brown spots that didnt wipe off. The glue would come off but the brown mark's didnt. I didnt use any of them. Could it be rust or is this just how they look?

Attachments

• 20190129_200346.jpg
    20190129_200346.jpg
    675.3 KB · Views: 80
I bought the same 100 count box of Wilkinson blades, with black plastic tucks of 5 blades each. Mine are dated 2017 as well. I have gone through approximately 10 - 15 blades (on my 3rd tuck). I have not seen any of the brown spots that you have encountered, every blade has been clean and pristine.

I would be suspicious and would worry about contamination and potential irritation or infection.

Yeah. That's why I didnt even use them. Juat strange cause they were all sealed. Literally every blade in the 3 tucks I opened look like this with the spots. So I just tossed them out. I still have the unopened tucks

There was wax. But this brown stuff was different from the wax. Also the brown mark's didnt even scrub off with a old tooth brush

There was wax. But this brown stuff was different from the wax. Also the brown mark's didnt even scrub off with a old tooth brush
Ok, I see. I have seen this issue posted about before but I can't recall the conclusion. It seems a shame, but I wouldn't use them if you have doubts.

Thanks. I won't use them. Was seeing if this was common thing or not.
Common enough. You may want to do a search in the forums for that old post to see what they said. I had a couple of spots on mine last year, but they were small and I used them anyway.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
They look to me like the warehouse they were stored in overheated. I'd use em, but my face ain't that pretty anyhow.

I ordered a whole barber box 100ct of Wilkinson blades. The box came sealed and the black tucks inside were all sealed too. The date on the carton is from 2017. Since this is my first time buying wilkinson blades I was wondering if this is how there suppose to look. I opened up 3 tucks and they all looked the same with brown spots that didnt wipe off. The glue would come off but the brown mark's didnt. I didnt use any of them. Could it be rust or is this just how they look?

Did you contact the vendor and explain the issue?

This is very common. Just a function of the wax interacting with the oil. They will absolutely be okay to use.

I have just received a box of 100 German Wilkinson Sword made on 29-01-2015.
I am glad that I read this article now.
All 5 blades in the first tuck had a brown patch and 3 had turned into a rust patch. The next tuck had the same marks on three blades with 2 good clean blades.
If you look through an eyeglass at each side, there are four circles that I assume are the marks of the clamp that held the blade whilst coating it. The coating appears very erratic near the clamp marks and this is where the rust appears.
I think the coating process is not as good as it should be.
I will just take a closer look than I normally do at each blade when changing for a new Wilky in future.
I can see myself throwing out a good many blades though in the future.

If you look through an eyeglass at each side, there are four circles that I assume are the marks of the clamp that held the blade whilst coating it. The coating appears very erratic near the clamp marks and this is where the rust appears.
Those are just staining or yellowing in the wax. The blades are stacked and coatings are sprayed on the bevels only, manufacturers don't waste money on coating the other areas (Have a look at the Merkur razor blade manufacturing video). Unless the cutting edge is damaged the blades will be okay to use.

Top Bottom