What's new

Wilkinson Pall Mall test shave

After hearing @imatabor expound the virtues of his Wilkinson Pall Mall, I began my search for one because I know John is not a high drama type person. ;-) Well, I found one recently that looked in good condition that came with a wedge blade and that wasn't going to cost a car payment and so I had to get it.

When I got it, it was in very good condition, but I wanted to clean it up anyway and so did the Dawn soak and then a couple of cycles in the ultrasonic cleaner. To my surprise, the small areas of tarnish truned into bigger areas and so I lightly sanded those areas, which only took off the gold plating. Not a good intro to my Pall Mall. Anyway, I stopped before completely wrecking my razor and put aside the wedge blade to hone later.

I reached for my spare Kampfe wedge blade and immediately found out that it was too large. I put the blades side to side and found the Wilkinson wedge blade to be slightly skinnier than the Kampfe (just enough to make it not fit). I pulled out my Dorko blade that I got from @Deelyte which I knew it was shorter, and it fit , but the spine was thicker and rounder and so I don't know how secure it will be in a real shave. So, for tonight's shave, I ended up using a Gem PTFE blade. I later found out that the Wilkinson blade is slightly longer than the normal wedge blades and so would not fit my other wedge blade razors. Don't know if you notice the difference in the pic.
DSC01512.JPG

DSC01515.JPG
DSC01516.JPG

First thing I noticed with the razor was that it had a roller guard , like most of the other Wilkinsons did, but it was not adjustable like my Empire. I kind of enjoy those roller guards and so set in to my shave. I loaded one of my boar brushes with my HSC Kaimu shaving soap and got to work. First pass was WTG and like all my other wedge blade razors, I used a very steep angle with the blade almost resting on my face. The roller guard surprised me because it almost propelled the head across my face like a set of wheels. I noticed that although it was not a lather catcher design, there was enough space in between the blade and the base plate to pass the lather through so it would not accumulate. The razor was compact and slightly lighter and more maneuverable than my Kampfe or Rapide wedge razors.

Second pass was ATG, which felt slightly rougher as I could feel the blade cutting. Usually I would experience this on the WTG pass, but there was a lot of things different with this razor. I did not have to do a third pass, but I did have to do some touch up.

Overall, I had a great experience with this razor. I just need to clean and hone the blade and see how it shaves with it's original blade. I would also try it with the Dorko blade just to see if it changes the shaving characteristics. Right now, I would put it in a tie for second place among my wedge razors with the Rapide coming in first, the Wilkinson and Kampfe second, and my Gem Jr LC and Wilkinson Empire coming in third.

It's great to see a shaver enjoying a new acquisition, @gvw755 that Pall Mall you have is a earlier version than the one I own. The one I have will not come close to accepting the DORKO wedge blade nor a GEM style blade. Also, my version has the adjustable roller guard and it does make for a variety in the shaves. I actually like this feature and the shaves I have gotten with it using the original blades have been CCS.

I have a WILKINSON PATENT in route which I'm anxious to try and hopefully the DORKO blade fits it perfectly if not I'm pretty sure the CVH wedge blade will fit. As for as ranking my wedge blade razors, I would have to say my RAPIDE is first followed closely by my FRENCH HOE(AIGLON) with the PALL MALL coming next then the WILKINSON EMPIRE. Having said that, they all give excellent shaves for me in my experience.

A shot of the WILKINSON PATENT I referenced. The box says PALL MALL on the front though I'm not sure if Wilkinson changed the name later from PATENT to PALL MALL. Also, notice it is similar to the RAPIDE but has a roller guard
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

LOL, someone else would just take my place. :em2300: There are a lot of LOVERS OF SINGLE EGDE RAZORS(LOSERS)
Well I have a Rapide arriving next week. CVs are hard to find and is haunting my dreams and now that that Wilkinson Patent....oh boy!
You all are making me a LOSER!

Well I have a Rapide arriving next week. CVs are hard to find and is haunting my dreams and now that that Wilkinson Patent....oh boy!
You all are making me a LOSER!
Yes, I saw that fine razor you were able to win at a good price. I'm sure you will enjoy it. Yes, CVs are hard to come by I'm looking for one myself it would be a nice addition to my wedge blade razor collection/rotation. I love these vintage razors shaving with them for me is a delight. I think they can give just as good or better a shave than the new boys on the block. The ASYLUM, ATTSE1 and 2, MONGOOSE,RAZOROCK HAWK, GENERAL, EL JEFE, CLAYMORE and ones not yet produced.

WILKINSON PATENT
I JUST RECEIVED MY WILKINSON PATENT PICTURED ABOVE A LITTLE CLEANUP AND IM READY FOR A TEST SHAVE.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 16
I’m way late to the party. Do any of you have a method to hone these Wilkinson blades? I have a 1920s Pall Mall and a 4000 and 8000 stone. I’m a little nervous to try it.

I’m way late to the party. Do any of you have a method to hone these Wilkinson blades? I have a 1920s Pall Mall and a 4000 and 8000 stone. I’m a little nervous to try it.
These blades are fantastic once honed properly.
I cannot tell you for sure unless I saw the edge of one of the blades. But almost always they need the bevel reset. That requires a 1000 grit stone or lapping film. Film is way cheaper if you are doing a one off.

If by chance the edge is good with a clean bevel. Your 4000 and 8000 will do the job just fine. Then give it a really good Stropping.

Wedge blade safety razors are my favorites. Not sure If you are aware. The Pall Mall will work great with a standard Gem blade.

These blades are fantastic once honed properly.
I cannot tell you for sure unless I saw the edge of one of the blades. But almost always they need the bevel reset. That requires a 1000 grit stone or lapping film. Film is way cheaper if you are doing a one off.

If by chance the edge is good with a clean bevel. Your 4000 and 8000 will do the job just fine. Then give it a really good Stropping.

Wedge blade safety razors are my favorites. Not sure If you are aware. The Pall Mall will work great with a standard Gem blade.
Thank you for the response! Since I have all 7 blades, I tried the Sunday blade with the 4000 then the 8000. With no tape it made very little difference. I have a 1000 as well, I’ll try it and see what happens. Tape isn’t necessary correct? I’ve only read it’s important if there is A decorative spine you want to keep intact.

After hearing @imatabor expound the virtues of his Wilkinson Pall Mall, I began my search for one because I know John is not a high drama type person. ;-) Well, I found one recently that looked in good condition that came with a wedge blade and that wasn't going to cost a car payment and so I had to get it.

When I got it, it was in very good condition, but I wanted to clean it up anyway and so did the Dawn soak and then a couple of cycles in the ultrasonic cleaner. To my surprise, the small areas of tarnish truned into bigger areas and so I lightly sanded those areas, which only took off the gold plating. Not a good intro to my Pall Mall. Anyway, I stopped before completely wrecking my razor and put aside the wedge blade to hone later.

I reached for my spare Kampfe wedge blade and immediately found out that it was too large. I put the blades side to side and found the Wilkinson wedge blade to be slightly skinnier than the Kampfe (just enough to make it not fit). I pulled out my Dorko blade that I got from @Deelyte which I knew it was shorter, and it fit , but the spine was thicker and rounder and so I don't know how secure it will be in a real shave. So, for tonight's shave, I ended up using a Gem PTFE blade. I later found out that the Wilkinson blade is slightly longer than the normal wedge blades and so would not fit my other wedge blade razors. Don't know if you notice the difference in the pic.
View attachment 787990

View attachment 787991 View attachment 787992

First thing I noticed with the razor was that it had a roller guard , like most of the other Wilkinsons did, but it was not adjustable like my Empire. I kind of enjoy those roller guards and so set in to my shave. I loaded one of my boar brushes with my HSC Kaimu shaving soap and got to work. First pass was WTG and like all my other wedge blade razors, I used a very steep angle with the blade almost resting on my face. The roller guard surprised me because it almost propelled the head across my face like a set of wheels. I noticed that although it was not a lather catcher design, there was enough space in between the blade and the base plate to pass the lather through so it would not accumulate. The razor was compact and slightly lighter and more maneuverable than my Kampfe or Rapide wedge razors.

Second pass was ATG, which felt slightly rougher as I could feel the blade cutting. Usually I would experience this on the WTG pass, but there was a lot of things different with this razor. I did not have to do a third pass, but I did have to do some touch up.

Overall, I had a great experience with this razor. I just need to clean and hone the blade and see how it shaves with it's original blade. I would also try it with the Dorko blade just to see if it changes the shaving characteristics. Right now, I would put it in a tie for second place among my wedge razors with the Rapide coming in first, the Wilkinson and Kampfe second, and my Gem Jr LC and Wilkinson Empire coming in third.
the Dorko blade...??

Top Bottom