What's new

Wilkinson model 1923

Hello, I have decided to show my favorite Wilkinson model 1923. I use it with DE Gillette Old Type shaver. Only positive emotions from its use over the past two years.
248CE473-E758-4ECB-A344-9720DD180043.jpeg
D8B440B3-8D2B-4ABA-AFFE-53C603F8EDB8.jpeg
2B13AC19-7528-43CB-BDB8-63A1B241EECD.jpeg
67D3E625-3E7B-490B-AA5A-438A935EF52D.jpeg

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
They are very interesting razors. I have a couple here with and without the case. Never used one yet as the blades certainly need a hone and probably a de-rust these days. Like everything, one day.

Reactions: Anu
They are very interesting razors. I have a couple here with and without the case. Never used one yet as the blades certainly need a hone and probably a de-rust these days. Like everything, one day.
I only use vintage blades. There were experiments with modern ones, but they were not successful.

How on earth do you hone those wedge blades? If you have a method I’d love to hear it. Is there a tool or something that makes it easier to hold the blades?

How on earth do you hone those wedge blades? If you have a method I’d love to hear it. Is there a tool or something that makes it easier to hold the blades?
I use a single layer of electrical tape on the spine with both ends extending from the sides a bit that can act as little handles which helps with handling. From there, hone normally.

Editing the blade on the horse hide belt. Everything here was foreseen by the engineers.
20211216_181857.jpg

While you’re honing with it taped
I use a single layer of electrical tape on the spine with both ends extending from the sides a bit that can act as little handles which helps with handling. From there, hone normally.
do you apply pressure? I’ve tried to hone a number of blades and it never seems to get that razors edge that effortlessly takes the hair off my arm. Stone or just the strop?

While you’re honing with it taped

do you apply pressure? I’ve tried to hone a number of blades and it never seems to get that razors edge that effortlessly takes the hair off my arm. Stone or just the strop?
When refreshing an edge I don't really use pressure. When bevel setting, depending on how much work needs to get done I'll lean into it with my Chosera 1k before lightening up. In terms of not being able to get a good edge, really make sure the bevel is set before moving on from your bevel setting stone.

What stones are you using?

When refreshing an edge I don't really use pressure. When bevel setting, depending on how much work needs to get done I'll lean into it with my Chosera 1k before lightening up. In terms of not being able to get a good edge, really make sure the bevel is set before moving on from your bevel setting stone.

What stones are you using?
I have a set of Entai stones I got a a gift probably from amazon. It has 400,1000, 4000, and 8000.

I have a set of Entai stones I got a a gift probably from amazon. It has 400,1000, 4000, and 8000.
I tried honing razors with my Sharp Pebble set (from Amazon) and had some okay results, but weren't that great for razors. Work wonders for kitchen knives though.

Check your "conversations" here on the forum. Sent you some info.

Top Bottom