What's new

Wilkinson II Adjustable

Just picked this up - NOS Wilkinson II Adjustable.
I am one of the people who open and use NOS because for me it is as close to time travel as I can yet get and I think it’s a proper tribute to the people who designed and made these things to actually use them.

But I also respect the historians who wish to preserve NOS intact for for the future.
Anyway...
EEA2B801-0DFE-43DB-B961-72AC8C15F453.jpeg
61065D7C-7008-41B7-B43B-B7134BA19FF6.jpeg
9EF7616F-4CA6-4045-9088-F1BEBD59DA8C.jpeg
76C9C606-1310-422D-8C1D-B0FDCD2D7A6E.jpeg
CC2690EE-112B-4DA8-AE45-B4503F42A7FC.jpeg

Playing around with it I’m not really sure how the adjustable mechanism works - does it increase the effective gap between the blades?
And has anybody got experience with this razor?

@mjclark , the carts were likely made in the early mid-70s (‘73-‘75 as post Trac II intro, but no bar codes, yet), and...and...and they were made in the USA! So, who made them? Gillette? Schick? Did Personna make an adjustable Trac II compatible cartridge? Inquiring minds, you know...

Tom

These were probably made in around 1976-77 at the UFI plant in the United States right after Wilkinson Sword purchased UFI. Post #25 discussed this purchase in this thread: Wilkinson Sword Chromium/Light Brigade - Was this just marketing for the US Market?

The linked NLRB case in that post specifically mentions Trac II-type blades were being made at the is plant right after Wilkinson Sword's purchase in 1976. From the research and discussion here, it appears WS never made DE blades there, but did package them for sale. Other razor products such as cartridges were made there for a few years.

Here is a script for a Wilkinson II commercial in a marketing book. It starts off with- "American men are such beasts" Discourse Strategies Scroll down to the bottom of the page where it is point (1) to read the actual script.

Last edited:
I have some Schick Super II adjustable cartridges, 5 to be exact. I’ve used 1 for a few shaves to test. It gives beautiful shaves smooth and close with no irritation. I save them for special occasions. Mine were NOS also. If the Wilkinson blades are similar, they should give great shaves.

These were probably made in around 1976-77 at the UFI plant in the United States right after Wilkinson Sword purchased UFI. Post #25 discussed this purchase in this thread: Wilkinson Sword Chromium/Light Brigade - Was this just marketing for the US Market?

The linked NLRB case in that post specifically mentions Trac II-type blades were being made at the is plant right after Wilkinson Sword's purchase in 1976. From the research and discussion here, it appears WS never made DE blades there, but did package them for sale. Other razor products such as cartridges were made there for a few years.

Here is a script for a Wilkinson II commercial in a marketing book. It starts off with- "American men are such beasts" Discourse Strategies Scroll down to the bottom of the page where it is point (1) to read the actual script.

I have some Schick Super II adjustable cartridges, 5 to be exact. I’ve used 1 for a few shaves to test. It gives beautiful shaves smooth and close with no irritation. I save them for special occasions. Mine were NOS also. If the Wilkinson blades are similar, they should give great shaves.
This all sounds very promising!

Top Bottom