What's new

Wild West Shaving Co.

As of March 1, Russ posted this on his website:
"Ok... so maybe someone will see this as cutting my throat, but it has become necessary. Please do not take me as being ungrateful in any way as this is not a complaint about what people purchase when the opportunity is offered.

The situation is... I am again out of sample containers, which is telling me that I seem to be selling more samples than tubs of soap. I have to remedy this, and sorry if it deflates anyone's hopes of this being a sample company, but I have to remedy it nonetheless.

I will be taking the sample sizes off line for the time being. Maybe indefinitely? I am not sure yet, but in an effort to get back to selling standard size containers I need to do it. The problem lies in the fact that it takes much more time to prepare samples than it does to prepare standard size tubs. The only machinery I have is me and a butter knife to fill sample containers, and to be honest it is exhausting my time. Time that can be spent on creating other new things and being more efficient in shipping out orders.

Next comes the questions I get about shipping samples Internationally. Am I willing? Sure... but postage still costs what it costs, even if I am sending someone a cotton ball. I don't set the rates and I don't mark up postage. Another critical mass subject is running out of containers for samples. They are sometime unavailable from the supplier and it takes time to chase them down again, and they cost more than the standard packaging I chose for my brand to keep the cost down.

Some people may feel put out that they possibly have to commit to buying something before they try it. Well folks, it's shaving soap, it does what shaving soap is supposed to do... and according to many it does it as well or better than most soaps out there. I think there are plenty of video reviews as well as forum posts to support the idea of it being a good product.

There is a thing going on in many communities as well called "pass-arounds" which I think is an enormously good idea. Find one... sign up for it. It saves you money on samples if you are just wanting to try it out, and most times you will get a better idea of the packaging and the actual product and its performance as it was intended to be. All of my soaps have the same formula with slight improvements as time goes on, which will reflect on future batches as well... so this only leaves scent preference, and I have heard tell that I do a pretty good job at the scent creation and scent strength.

I am a small business... still growing. I am trying to find what works for both me and you. If it doesn't work for me I won't be in business long to make it work for you. Please don't take this as a rifle pointed at any one person, or as a scatter gun pointed at everyone. I have to keep things well managed to make decisions that benefit everyone in the long run... especially decisions about how my time is spent.

Thank you all for hearing me out, and maybe one day I will re-institute the samples if I have time and capital to invest in a more efficient method of packaging and distribution."

If you messaged Russ and told him about what scent types you are in to, then he could probably point you in the directions of which scents you may like.

"Ok... so maybe someone will see this as cutting my throat, but it has become necessary. Please do not take me as being ungrateful in any way as this is not a complaint about what people purchase when the opportunity is offered.

The situation is... I am again out of sample containers, which is telling me that I seem to be selling more samples than tubs of soap. I have to remedy this, and sorry if it deflates anyone's hopes of this being a sample company, but I have to remedy it nonetheless.

I will be taking the sample sizes off line for the time being. Maybe indefinitely? I am not sure yet, but in an effort to get back to selling standard size containers I need to do it. The problem lies in the fact that it takes much more time to prepare samples than it does to prepare standard size tubs. The only machinery I have is me and a butter knife to fill sample containers, and to be honest it is exhausting my time. Time that can be spent on creating other new things and being more efficient in shipping out orders.

Next comes the questions I get about shipping samples Internationally. Am I willing? Sure... but postage still costs what it costs, even if I am sending someone a cotton ball. I don't set the rates and I don't mark up postage. Another critical mass subject is running out of containers for samples. They are sometime unavailable from the supplier and it takes time to chase them down again, and they cost more than the standard packaging I chose for my brand to keep the cost down.

Some people may feel put out that they possibly have to commit to buying something before they try it. Well folks, it's shaving soap, it does what shaving soap is supposed to do... and according to many it does it as well or better than most soaps out there. I think there are plenty of video reviews as well as forum posts to support the idea of it being a good product.

There is a thing going on in many communities as well called "pass-arounds" which I think is an enormously good idea. Find one... sign up for it. It saves you money on samples if you are just wanting to try it out, and most times you will get a better idea of the packaging and the actual product and its performance as it was intended to be. All of my soaps have the same formula with slight improvements as time goes on, which will reflect on future batches as well... so this only leaves scent preference, and I have heard tell that I do a pretty good job at the scent creation and scent strength.

I am a small business... still growing. I am trying to find what works for both me and you. If it doesn't work for me I won't be in business long to make it work for you. Please don't take this as a rifle pointed at any one person, or as a scatter gun pointed at everyone. I have to keep things well managed to make decisions that benefit everyone in the long run... especially decisions about how my time is spent.

Thank you all for hearing me out, and maybe one day I will re-institute the samples if I have time and capital to invest in a more efficient method of packaging and distribution."

Thanks! While a bit disappointing, it's completely understandable. Maybe some scratch and sniff scent cards? :)

I don't understand the sample thing. If he were charging $14 a pop, maybe. But he offers 2 oz containers for around $7. Razorock territory, pricewise, and leaps and bounds above it performance wise, IMO.
The scents are all really good, and the soap is some of the best I've used, IMO.

I don't understand the sample thing. If he were charging $14 a pop, maybe. But he offers 2 oz containers for around $7. Razorock territory, pricewise, and leaps and bounds above it performance wise, IMO.
The scents are all really good, and the soap is some of the best I've used, IMO.
I think his issue is that since he isn't charging the going rate for such a quality and small production soap, the time and effort of the small samples isn't worth his time. I completely understand his statement. For companies like Wholly Kaw that might charge in the $15-20 range for a full tin it would make sense for the samples. His soaps are roughly $10 for a full tin, which isn't bad at all looking at the quality vs. price point. I do recommend trying to get in on a passaround to try the soaps out. If you cant get into one or cant find one with these soaps currently, try putting one together. If 15 people each buy a $10 soap and send it to one person, those people could then try $150 worth of outstanding soap for less than $20 (Shipping included). Just a thought.

I, personally, would rather him eliminate the samples and keep his prices low, than raise the samples to $5 each and the tins to $15.

Well, in my case, I already know I like the soap base, but finding "the scent" can be difficult. There are probably about 10-12 scents I'd like to try, but I can't justify spending $70-80 to find out if I like any of them. But I'd spend $20 and follow up with an order for the one or two I really like. If he only offered a few scents, it would not be an issue, but with such a large selection, it's quite daunting.

I find that a "decent" scent doesn't get much use and falls by the wayside, and I reach for my favorites, but it can take a lot of trial and error to find those favorites. I don't have a very good track record on buying scents based on descriptions. Things that wow me are most times ones I'd never think of trying...

Oh well, I'll probably pick up one or two and maybe try to trade for something else if I don't like it...

I think his issue is that since he isn't charging the going rate for such a quality and small production soap, the time and effort of the small samples isn't worth his time. I completely understand his statement. For companies like Wholly Kaw that might charge in the $15-20 range for a full tin it would make sense for the samples. His soaps are roughly $10 for a full tin, which isn't bad at all looking at the quality vs. price point. I do recommend trying to get in on a passaround to try the soaps out. If you cant get into one or cant find one with these soaps currently, try putting one together. If 15 people each buy a $10 soap and send it to one person, those people could then try $150 worth of outstanding soap for less than $20 (Shipping included). Just a thought.

I, personally, would rather him eliminate the samples and keep his prices low, than raise the samples to $5 each and the tins to $15.
This is what I was getting at.
Although I can understand Jaidmaster's point of view, I have used enough soap and scents to pretty much know if a description is something I stand a good chance of liking. But I'm not that particular, and like to see different soapers' take on a scent profile. I like the variety, and really like enjoying them individually for what they are. Every soap and every shave does not have to blow me away to find enjoyment in it. And at 2 oz a pop, if a soap doesn't get as much use as others, I don't feel I'm wasting very much. I will get back around to it eventually, precisely because I like variety, and try to stay away from the idea of sticking to a few favorites. A different point of view.
To each their own, as long as they are having a great time!

By the time my next order gets here, I'll have around 30 tubs and 5-6 colognes...
I've never ordered a sample, but back in the beginning Russ would send a sample or two with your order...
It was immediately obvious to me that the way he was having to package them was a real pain...
With the price as low as it is for the full size tub, I don't blame him for not wanting to have to source tiny containers for a sample...
If I find a scent here and there that I'm not crazy about ( I have...), it ain't like it's gonna bankrupt me...

I just got the Osceola set, Pony Express spray, and the Brown Derby spray today. These are all magnificent scents as usual. You won't be disappointed.

Also, check out Raven Brush Works on Facebook. It's a new venture that Russ is involved in.......hand turned shave brushes.
These are some prototypes:
proxy.php

And in case anyone is wondering, there is already a Wild West Brushworks business, so that is why he went with Raven Brush Works, plus it is also his initials, Russell W. Barton!.

Great explanation and appreciate your transparency and insights to YOUR business. Make it OUR business, i.e. your "stockholders" interested in knowing if we should be tempted to invest by purchasing real stock. Your insights to your business planning as an entrepreneur in an extremely competitive marketplace in which sense of smell, skin chemistry, etc. are key factors for consumer/investors. (NOTE: I'm working on an app to provide both a common lexicon of language for your biz. And more important ... a scent "tester" in which we can hold up our phone or lap top (still working on desk tops and main-frames) and get an idea of "like" or whatever. Stay tuned.)

In any case, nicely stated. And best wishes for booming business. Looking forward to purchasing pucks of Wild West.

Well, I picked up Black Sails (of which I had a sample) and Peace Pipe (new to me). The containers are pretty nifty and work fine for me, as I'm a "scooper".
The Black Sails was a bit different in color (more red) than my sample (more gray), but smells pretty much the same, which is to say AWESOME! :)
I used Peace Pipe and must say that based on these 2 scents, that WWSC has some amazing scents. I can definitely see myself picking up more in the future. I wish all artisans were doing this good of a job with scents.
Peace Pipe is a nice, fairly mild, smokey tobacco. Very enjoyable.

Can anyone compare Teddy (Lime, Coconut, Tequila) to Stirling MITA? Similar scent or does the coconut overpower things?
Thanks!

Well, I picked up Black Sails (of which I had a sample) and Peace Pipe (new to me). The containers are pretty nifty and work fine for me, as I'm a "scooper".
The Black Sails was a bit different in color (more red) than my sample (more gray), but smells pretty much the same, which is to say AWESOME! :)
I used Peace Pipe and must say that based on these 2 scents, that WWSC has some amazing scents. I can definitely see myself picking up more in the future. I wish all artisans were doing this good of a job with scents.
Peace Pipe is a nice, fairly mild, smokey tobacco. Very enjoyable.

Can anyone compare Teddy (Lime, Coconut, Tequila) to Stirling MITA? Similar scent or does the coconut overpower things?
Thanks!
MITA is a stronger scent but maybe it's the menthol. I don't get an overwhelming coconut from Teddy. It is similar to MITA although subtler but still strong enough to enjoy. I'm not great on doing notes and such when it comes to scents. I like both just MITA is more pronounced to me.

MITA is a stronger scent but maybe it's the menthol. I don't get an overwhelming coconut from Teddy. It is similar to MITA although subtler but still strong enough to enjoy. I'm not great on doing notes and such when it comes to scents. I like both just MITA is more pronounced to me.

Thanks Dave!

Boy, the Irish Brigade has really been a great scent for early Spring !!! Plenty of green with the fern and oakmoss, but a kiss of warmth from the coriander and fig leaf...
IMHO, this is one of Russ's best !!!

I haven't tried Teddy, but I got a sample of Rose Dunn that also includes coconut, and that one is very subtle on the coconut, just enough to flavor the other notes.

And I agree that Irish Brigade is PHENOMENAL!

Top Bottom