What's new

Wild find/first SE shave

I found Valet Auto Strop Khaki set two days ago in the wild and had to have it. With the poor lighting in the antique shops, I initially thought someone had painted the razor green to match the canvas pouch it was in and was able to negotiate a lower price. When I got it home it turned out the brass was heavily oxidized black. I unfortunately didn't take a picture of its filthy state because of silly me being too excited to clean it up. Trust me though when I say it took multiple scrubbings with a tooth brush and a day and have soak in scrubbing bubbles to get it clean.
It came with its carboard box, leather strop, blade holder with nine sealed blades, its mirror, and of course the Khaki case.
I haven't had the time to research more to find out how old it yet though, just enough to figure out how the strop works and how to insert and remove the blade.
Anyhow, today I decided to shave with it this morning loaded with a modified stainless blade is got at Walgreens. I own other SE razors I've never used, but for some reason this wicked looking razor beckoned to be used. After the first pass it instantly understood why others felt as if they were cheating on their DE razors. I fell in love with traditional shaving all over again. Smoothest and most effortless shave I've ever had. It won't replace my DE razors, but it will certainly be a regular in my rotation.
Now I need to research and acquire more SE blades!
Anyway, here are some pictures of my new treasure.
$tmp_29409-20160609_181755-97498943.jpg
$tmp_29409-20160609_1816481735012043.jpg
$tmp_29409-20160609_1815431731661790.jpg
$tmp_29409-20160610_072442-593659534.jpg
$tmp_29409-20160610_072517-1085458960.jpg

Last edited:
Great find glad you enjoyed the shave. I'm waiting on my first Valet will see if my experience is just enjoyable

Awesome score! It looks more heavy duty than mine, I think it's a VB1 or maybe Pre Valet. Dose it say Valet on it?

Nice score! :thumbup:

That's a pre-Valet B1 Khaki set, circa 1917-1918. It's highly unusual to find one that still has the mirror and with the strop in good condition.

If the strop has dried out it can be brought back to life by applying a liberal coating of Lubriderm (skin cream) and hang it vertically overnight. Repeat if necessary until the strap hangs with no bends, then wipe off any excess Lubriderm.

The strop is only useful (other than as a curio) if you intend to use vintage blades, as modern blades do not respond well to stropping.

--Bob

Awesome score! It looks more heavy duty than mine, I think it's a VB1 or maybe Pre Valet. Dose it say Valet on it?
After taking another look at it, I found no mention of Valet. I had no idea there was a pre-sales. Here are a couple more pictures for everyone.

Nice score! :thumbup:

That's a pre-Valet B1 Khaki set, circa 1917-1918. It's highly unusual to find one that still has the mirror and with the strop in good condition.

If the strop has dried out it can be brought back to life by applying a liberal coating of Lubriderm (skin cream) and hang it vertically overnight. Repeat if necessary until the strap hangs with no bends, then wipe off any excess Lubriderm.

The strop is only useful (other than as a curio) if you intend to use vintage blades, as modern blades do not respond well to stropping.

--Bob
Thanks you for all the cool information! I certainly wasn't having any luck finding anything on my own.
I'd love to get it replated silver someday, but am quite happy with it as is for now.

Top Bottom