What's new

Wiki-Wiki-Who's-Got-The-Wiki 2

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Seeking your input here Gents, can you provide some feedback to us on the following questions?

Do you use the Wiki at B&B and if so, what do you use the Wiki for?

What do you like about the Wiki?

What do you dislike about the Wiki?

What affect would the disappearance of the Wiki have on you?

Could the information that is in the Wiki be effectively published in easier to manage forums, threads and posts?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I find that the wiki on B&B is very poorly organised. This makes it difficult to effectively use.

The way it is now, I wouldn't miss it if it was gone. If it was better organised and monitored, I feel that it would be a great asset to traditional wet shaving.

It seems to be a great idea, but right now it needs some help.

1631804579714.png

To summarize, it should not require the user to have the skills of a reference librarian to use the wiki effectively.

Some areas for improvement:

Broken links - it seems attempts have been made to reorganize things in the past, but many links are broken (e.g. French Shaving Soap Compendium). Once you encounter enough of these links, it discourages further exploration.

Uneven coverage - there is not much info or no info on some products. Many products that are described are old and discontinued now. What is the process for updating this info or correcting mistaken or out-of-date info?

Search mechanics - there is a separate search mechanism which most users don't know about or don't use. Info in the wiki should be searchable from public search engines.

User awareness - there's a ton of info tucked away in the wiki that many users either don't know about or maybe can't find. Can anyone contribute to the wiki? Who decides what topics to cover and how much info to provide? Does anyone test the entries to find dead links, etc.? Does anyone revisit old topics to update them, remove or re-locate references to obsolete products, make a note about re-forumulations, etc.?

Last edited:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
As I said in the other wiki thread, thanks for the input so far gents, it's important to hear your voices.
FWIW, a huge part of what is in the Wiki was moved there from threads/posts.
Organizing it to be easier to use is a huge manpower sinkhole, it's not easy to navigate and making it easy to navigate is made more difficult because it's so finicky to work with.
We might be able to possibly get a volunteer team together to plug away at it at some point, but we wanted to get a feel for how all of you felt about it.

Last edited:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Would there be any interest in a small group of member volunteers working with us to modernize, streamline and repair broken links so that the Wiki is actually useful for everyone?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Would there be any interest in a small group of member volunteers working with us to modernize, streamline and repair broken links so that the Wiki is actually useful for everyone?
Let me sleep on it. I've been a moddie on a very large forum before for many years but I have never been involved with a wiki.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Let me sleep on it. I've been a moddie on a very large forum before for many years but I have never been involved with a wiki.

It's a finicky beast and editing is not intuitive. The table formats take know-how, and can be scrambled very easily.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
After a good night's sleep but before my morning SR shave, I am willing to offer my assistance in sorting out and upgrading the wiki. I am experienced in Fortran and Basic but only limited in BBCode. I have previously done some minor editing to the B&B wiki that seemed to work alright. My preference would be for parts of the wiki relating to SR's.

Perhaps admin could set up a restricted (hidden?) thread for those working on the wiki. Not sure if that would be best, just a suggestion.

Last edited:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I'm shaking out details and looking for Wiki volunteers.
Several years ago we had a Wiki Team, and it would be nice to resurrect that team.
If you are familiar with Wiki editing and wish to help, or are willing to learn from those who are familiar - please say "I'm In" below and when I get the details and the groundwork in place, I will contact you!

It looks to me as if these fellows have expressed that they have previously or are willing to work on the Wiki?

@rbscebu I have you on the list.

Last edited:
Top Bottom