What's new

Wiki-Wiki-Who's-Got-The-Wiki 1

Uneven coverage

For example, when I first read the Tallow wiki I was slightly disappointed the "Tallow vs. microwave" section didn't include even just one photo to illustrate the point. s/

But in all seriousness, the Wiki section is invaluable and contains a wealth of information that I've turned to many times over the years. It's clear I'm not alone.

I broadly agree with @Atlantic59's suggestions above. The broken links would be great to fix so that the existing pages feel more functional again -- this page ostensibly outlining a "Gillette Timeline" is a particularly glaring example. The search mechanics issue is real too. One additional point with this: on a laptop or full screen, it's possible to quickly scan pages using the existing tables of contents to find what you need, but this is more cumbersome using a smartphone (which many of us are primarily using these days). A more user-friendly search function could be a big plus from this perspective too.

Lastly, perhaps there could be a way to nominate outstanding posts on the forums -- those worthy of being saved for posterity -- for inclusion as part of a wiki article, so that they don't get 'lost' in a sea of other forum threads. And I suppose these need not be wiki articles themselves -- even a wiki-based index organized into appropriate categories with a list of such posts (with links and short descriptions) would be fantastic. There might already be a system in place to do this that I'm unaware of.

- For example, @JCinPA recently put together a couple of really comprehensive guides outlining methods to lather soaps (Lather Method #1, and Lather Method #2).​
- There are a number of fantastic and very detailed threads covering various aspects of vintage razors that I've come across primarily through Google searches. These may already have entries in the wiki section, but if that's the case, they aren't easy or straightforward to find that way. Examples of what I mean: UK Aristocrats, US Aristocrats.​

Last edited:
For example, when I first read the Tallow wiki I was slightly disappointed the "Tallow vs. microwave" section didn't include even just one photo to illustrate the point. s/

But in all seriousness, the Wiki section is invaluable and contains a wealth of information that I've turned to many times over the years. It's clear I'm not alone.

I broadly agree with @Atlantic59's suggestions above. The broken links would be great to fix so that the existing pages feel more functional again -- this page ostensibly outlining a "Gillette Timeline" is a particularly glaring example. The search mechanics issue is real too. One additional point with this: on a laptop or full screen, it's possible to quickly scan pages using the existing tables of contents to find what you need, but this is more cumbersome using a smartphone (which many of us are primarily using these days). A more user-friendly search function could be a big plus from this perspective too.

Lastly, perhaps there could be a way to nominate outstanding posts on the forums -- those worthy of being saved for posterity -- for inclusion as part of a wiki article, so that they don't get 'lost' in a sea of other forum threads. And I suppose these need not be wiki articles themselves -- even a wiki-based index organized into appropriate categories with a list of such posts (with links and short descriptions) would be fantastic. There might already be a system in place to do this that I'm unaware of.

- For example, @JCinPA recently put together a couple of really comprehensive guides outlining methods to lather soaps (Lather Method #1, and Lather Method #2).​
- There are a number of fantastic and very detailed threads covering various aspects of vintage razors that I've come across primarily through Google searches. These may already have entries in the wiki section, but if that's the case, they aren't easy or straightforward to find that way. Examples of what I mean: UK Aristocrats, US Aristocrats.​

Great suggestions

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Lots of great feedback here, thank you.
This is the kind of info we need to make informed decisions about how to resolve the issues.

There is a metric TON of very valuable information there. I agree with @rbscebu that it could be neatened and better organized but it would be a shame to lose it. As for splitting it up , I don't know.
I've not browsed it very deeply, but the stuff I did look at (acronyms) was very helpful, and I agree it would be a pity to lose it.

If there's limited resources for maintenance, I'd target the "bring the newbies up to speed" material, and not get distracted by the general "link rot" issue.

If you have any sort of hit-count on what is read, so much the better.

Last edited:
Do you use the Wiki at B&B and if so, what do you use the Wiki for? -- I do not use the Wiki. I have stumbled across it a few times when searching something specific, but I do not regularly visit the Wiki.

What do you like about the Wiki? -- I just took a 10 minute tour! Lots of great info in there, more than I was expecting. Some of the history of B&B was fun to browse, the blade gap chart was good to see (I recall seeing it when I first joined). I think some users like to have their own Wiki page they update with razors/software, etc...

What do you dislike about the Wiki? -- I wasn't fully aware of the content it had, it would be good to make more visible or better communicate it's there. The content did appear to be hit or miss, some sections had a ton while others had none. The missing links are too bad to see.

What affect would the disappearance of the Wiki have on you? -- If you asked me yesterday, I'd say none, however after looking at it for 10 minutes, it would be a shame to lose this content that obviously took countless hours to put together.

Could the information that is in the Wiki be effectively published in easier to manage forums, threads and posts? -- Migrating content over to Sticky Threads may be practical. For example, the interactive guides for shaving brushes, DE shaving, SE shaving, straight razor shaving all seems like they'd migrate to Sticky threads well. Some aspects (products, history, equipment, shopping, and miscellaneous) I don't think would migrate to a Sticky as well.

Not sure how much work it is or if it's possible, but perhaps a new set of threads could be made to store the content. Right now there is General Shaving, Straight Razors, Everything Else, The Marketplace, and Site Administration, perhaps we can add one like "Shave Wiki". Or maybe a "Shave Wiki" in the General Shaving Talk area that has a bunch of sub-threads.

Whatever the plan for the Wiki is, I'd be pleased to help with any aspects needing support.

PS, I found one link on the Wiki that there is no need to update!
1631850050991.png

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Would there be any interest in a small group of member volunteers working with us to modernize, streamline and repair broken links so that the Wiki is actually useful for everyone?

ylekot

On the lookout for a purse
Would there be any interest in a small group of member volunteers working with us to modernize, streamline and repair broken links so that the Wiki is actually useful for everyone?
I'd be willing to help if someone can walk me through how. I am essentially computer illiterate so I can't help with coding or programming and stuff, not sure how useful that makes me.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
After a good night's sleep but before my morning SR shave, I am willing to offer my assistance in sorting out and upgrading the wiki. I am experienced in Fortran and Basic but only limited in BBCode. I have previously done some minor editing to the B&B wiki that seemed to work alright. My preference would be for parts of the wiki relating to SR's.

Perhaps admin could set up a restricted (hidden?) thread for those working on the wiki. Not sure if that would be best, just a suggestion.

I don't have any prior coding experience, but happy to help out if there's a role that isn't highly technical.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I'm shaking out details and looking for Wiki volunteers.
Several years ago we had a Wiki Team, and it would be nice to resurrect that team.
If you are familiar with Wiki editing and wish to help, or are willing to learn and take direction from those who are familiar - please say "I'm In" below and when I get the details and the groundwork in place, I will contact you!

It looks to me as if these fellows have expressed that they have previously or are willing to work on the Wiki?

@Luc I have you as a resource for the Team
@Claudel Xerxes I have you as a resource for the Team
@ackvil I have you as a resource for the Team
@beginish I have you as a resource for the Team
@JeffJ I have you on the list
@dmshaver I have you on the list
@ShavingPanda I have you on the list
@ylekot I have you on the list
@Trem I have you on the list
@Mempho I have you on the list
@JWCowboy I have you on the list
@Roedeer I have you on the list
@rbscebu I have you on the list
@srqshaver I have you on the list

Last edited:

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
I love the US Gillette Dating Information chart, when I was getting started it seemed like I was using that resource all the time, although admittedly I don't use it as much now. I do feel The Wiki has value and would be a tragedy to lose it.
....or are willing to learn and take direction from those who are familiar

This describes me @luvmysuper, I'd be honored to help.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I agree with most. A ton of useful info but I haven’t looked at it in some time. I’m not fond of the term, wiki. 🤨

I'm shaking out details and looking for Wiki volunteers.
Several years ago we had a Wiki Team, and it would be nice to resurrect that team.
If you are familiar with Wiki editing and wish to help, or are willing to learn and take direction from those who are familiar - please say "I'm In" below and when I get the details and the groundwork in place, I will contact you!

It looks to me as if these fellows have expressed that they have previously or are willing to work on the Wiki?

Just to confirm, I'm in. I have never edited the Wiki but am willing to learn!

Top Bottom