What's new

Wife Not Happy-Left Town and Left A Note

V

VR6ofpain

True.

You don't buy it, you live it.
Oh man, that is great.

I did find Lilac Veg is better once you leave the cap off it for 2 weeks. Still a worthless AS, with way too much burn and no moisturizing properties.

I'm off to read the thread "Best Reaction from the Ladies" now. My wife hates my Tabac EDC.

I'd recommend Blenheim Bouquet. I have yet to meet someone (male or female) who hasn't liked that scent. I think they may have reformulated their stuff recently, though so it smells a bit different (at least to me). Both are nice, but I prefer the old scent.

You know, the LV grows on you!

And people in environmental suits will scrape it off of you.

Buy the most expensive stuff you can and charge it on her card. You can also tell her she has the nose of an old woman. When I wear the classics, I get a great reaction from women in their 20's and I'm 55. My daughters friends all tell her that I smell like a man, unlike the guys their age.

When I wear the classics, I get a great reaction from women in their 20's and I'm 55. My daughters friends all tell her that I smell like a man, unlike the guys their age.

This the reaction I get from women my age (mid 20s). I've gotten the "you smell like a REAL MAN" on a number of occasions.

Pappy, same thing here. I am 50. Wife wants me to look 40. .....

Same situation here, only I'm 51.

Just FYI, the reason she wants you to look 40 is because of "guilt by association." She doesn't really care how old you look, except that it makes people think SHE'S old. See? That's how it works.

My wife makes me dye my gray hair, too.:blushing:

I was under the impression that most guys on this board like Aqua Velva, Old Spice, Pinaud Clubman and the various higher end barbershop type scents because of the history with regards to shaving and because they make you feel good wearing them.

You don't actually think most women find these scents alluring do you?

I have had women comment on Clubman several times. I work in a hospital full of women. Believe me, if you smell good to them, you will know it.

I was under the impression that most guys on this board like Aqua Velva, Old Spice, Pinaud Clubman....You don't actually think most women find these scents alluring do you?

Are you kidding? I always wore them just to level the playing field with the rest of the guys. It's like spotting a few points.

I like the McGraw and the McGraw Southern Blend. My wife says she likes the Armani Code my son uses. Just a thought.

Oh sure, take the reasonable route. :rolleyes:

Has it been a year already? Congratulations! Sorry, don't mean to derail.

I can't help it, I am just a romantic at heart, just ask my wife, I gave up a life of whoreing and fun to be chained down with her...

They recently re-released some colognes from the Aramis line. This includes the great Havana. You can get it for $48 a number of places (I know that I saw it online at Nordstroms, Dillards, Neiman Marcus). That fits in your price range (<$50). It's not really barbershop-y, but it's really good.

You can also get Guerlain Habit Rouge for around the same price which may be closer to the scent profile you mentioned.

If you're feeling exceptionally bold, give Givenchy Gentleman a shot. It is an awesome powerhouse of a fragrance. Beware - it is very VERY easy to over-apply it.

Last edited:
Understandable...
When first breaking into wetshaving again, I ditched my designer cologne and ordered all the sample Trumper cologne tubes and scented creams where upon I presented my my mug up for daily inspection. My wife sniffed each scent once or twice daily for a week and pronounced them all...well, "Soap, smells like soap, Dave." Finally, she conceded that Eucris was overall pretty good stuff, so my advice is to keep trying stuff until you get a Bingo. Hint: Lay off the drugstore stuff - it's one step away from moonshine.

OP here. I'm somewhat encouraged in that others have had the same experience.

What great advice! I should say that the wife came home late today from the quick business trip with a small present. She was with some work buds and had bought a bottle of Chrome. "For starters" she said.

She was concerned about my reaction to her criticism. "Your not an old man! Don't worry about the cost! (She thought I really liked the cheap scents) You make a great income-spend some on yourself!"

I wonder if anyone has ever used Old Spice or Aqua Velva, etc, in a blind test to see how much effect marketing has on expectations. There was a post in this thread about women liking a scent they were familiar with. That would suggest that they would like something as long as others wore it and that the scent-wearer was someone they were attracted to on some level. Hmm...:blink:

Actually, during work today I went back through the suggestions, took some notes and checked out the perfumedcourt website. Decide to create my own sampler. Here is what I came up with. All are the little 1 ml sample vials.

Caron Third Man, Caron Yatagan, Guerlain Jicky EDT, Guerlain Vetiver, YSL Rive Gauche Pour Homme EDT, YSL M7, Davidoff Cool Water EDT,
Creed Green Irish Tweed, Comme des Garcons Series 3 Avignon,
Czech & Speake No. 88

How did I do? There were others mentioned but I thought 10 was a good number without becoming too OCD. :biggrin1: Plus, the choices are overwhelming.

Interestingly, the wife had some fragrance strips of a couple other fragrances. One was the YSL M7 (on the above list) and Dunhill Black (?). Both of which smelled nice. I think she was on a mission. There is a outlet mall about an hour away which has a perfume store with great pricing on the original scents, not knock-offs. She said we should go this weekend. This weekend is pretty busy here in Indianapolis, if you like basketball.:thumbup:
So the shopping will have to wait.

Anyway, my other stuff, like the Pinuad, may end up under the sink,
(or in my lawnmower :biggrin1:) I just laughed. I had no idea how turned off she was from some of the stuff.

Great thread! SO MUCH INFO!

Pappy

Dear Pappy,

Try these-You need younger cologne.
:001_smile

This was a note from my wife of 27 years. She was heading out of town for a few days. I've been playing around with different aftershaves and colognes since I've been shaving with my new/old school DE razors. A couple of weeks ago she really told me how much she disliked the scent of Old Spice. Historically I've not been a big cologne/AS guy. Maybe a little balm or witchhazel splash...

Now add in at least two more scents- Pinuad Virgin Bay Rum and Sanborns Orange Blossom Splash. According to her, the Pinuad smelled like an old man, and the Sanborns smelled like a soapy old man. Actually, I thought that part was kind of funny.

So, attached to my note were two magazine fragrance samplers- Versace Man, and Azzaro Chrome. "Go to fragrancex dot com and buy these".

Now I'm kind of bummed because I was having fun with the inexpensive scents. I told her I was after that old school barbershop scent. Her comments were more of "You don't want to smell like someone's grandpa" or "I'm not too crazy about xxx either but I don't want to hurt your feelings" and my favorite, "I'm just giving you a woman's perspective-your smell-it's not so good". Yikes!

Has anyone else experienced this kind of reaction from a spouse or partner? I'm a young 52, in good shape, and everything still works :thumbup1: so I don't want to jeopardize anything. I guess I'm amazed at how polarizing some of these scents can be! I sent her a text saying "No problem-need to know!" Geez, now my nickname is Stinky.

Any suggestions for scents in the same price range?(<$50 ) Fragrancex has testors(3.7oz) of the AZ Chrome for about $30.

PappyD (OK, she doesn't really call me Pappy...or Clutch, for the record)

Surely there is a custom title lurking here?:lol::lol::lol: Just teasing you Pap. Best of luck in your efforts. I don't like too many of the modern designer colognes just because they all have the ocean water accord in them. At least a lot of them. However, it is wise to keep SWMBO somewhat happy. I am very fortunate in that my wife loves my old school stuff. She gave a big thumbs up to Taylor's #74 Victorian Limes!

Regards, Todd

Pappy-

She's joshin' you. You are an old man.

What you do with it is up to you, of course.

LOL! My parents are gone now but when I look at old pictures from the 60's-70's I see that that I have become my father. Wife and I have 3 boys- 16, 18, and 21. They think 'Mom" and I are pretty much idiots and out of it. Just like I thought about things back in the day. I was the youngest of 4. Parents were worn out by the time they got to me. Dad fought the Japanese in WWII only to end up raising chuckleheads in the turbulent 60's, 70's, and to a degree the 80's. All the while using a Fatboy or a Slim Adjustable! :thumbup1:

Top Bottom