What's new

Wife isn't liking Clubman very much.

SWMBO doesn't mind the Veg but hates VIBR, she can't stand heavy cloves, so my son who started with a DE 2months ago may inherit it.

Yeah. I got a bottle of Special Reserve and the wife vetoed immediately. So now I'm out $8 and can't ship it. Is love to trade someone.

Dunno if they still run the stuff, but Avatar AS is great and light with a manly scent that's not over powering. Man I love Clubman I got original and SR...love them both specially original the SR is great and is growing on me...both are really nice for winter.

Could also try AV Musk, it's pretty good and might be a favorable scent.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I try to be as receptive to my wife's likes and dislikes as is possible, but sometimes, there's just no middle ground.
There are scents I won't wear because she doesn't like them.
You may or may not be aware that I am particularly fond of Lilac Vegetal. She hates it.
I wear it because I like it as much as I do. She has recognized that it isn't going to change in this case, and she knows that I don't wear most of what she doesn't like, so she has come around to putting up with it.
I can take her pretending to gag when I wear it because I like the way it smells.
Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do, and you have to determine if you like it enough to put up a fight or not.

Yeah, she's looking at some scents for me to wear that she likes, but I'm not giving up Clubman. And I just added Old Spice. Not giving that one up either. I love both of them. She'll just have to deal with them. I'll wear them mostly on days I'm at work, but I'm not giving them up.

I try to be as receptive to my wife's likes and dislikes as is possible, but sometimes, there's just no middle ground.
There are scents I won't wear because she doesn't like them.
You may or may not be aware that I am particularly fond of Lilac Vegetal. She hates it.
I wear it because I like it as much as I do. She has recognized that it isn't going to change in this case, and she knows that I don't wear most of what she doesn't like, so she has come around to putting up with it.
I can take her pretending to gag when I wear it because I like the way it smells.
Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do, and you have to determine if you like it enough to put up a fight or not.

Luckily my wife likes Lilac Vegatal.

BUT.....

She gags when I wear Tabac.....

I've stopped trying to figure this one out and only use Tabac when I think I can get away with it (i.e. I'm leaving the house soon)

Weird update. I splashed on some Special Reserve again today since I still had the bottle. The wife LOVED it. I had tried on some Polo green a while back and she really liked that and thinks this has some of the same woodsy scents. All I know is I have a winner. Looks like this will stay in rotation. Now to try the citrus musk.

Still think you aught to try the Vanilla. I like it a lot and don't detect any "vanilla" scent. Plus it doesn't last as long as most of the other Pinaud scents, which sucks for me, but might be good for you if the SWMBO is sensitive to powerful scents. JMO of course.

You have to explain the logic of Clubman.
Ask her to think of a situation where she would have gone to monthly spa visits, and how enjoyable they were.
(These are comparable to our visits to the barber for hot-towels shaves)

Then suddenly there were no more spa's

Then explain that the visits to the spa are linked to certain scents, which they used.
(these would be comparable to out Clubman)

That is why we like Clubman, as they bring back so many good memories.

I have the opposite problem my wife loves the Veg on on me..and me...not so much...she also LOVES Clubman which I tolerate better *shrugs YMMV :)

I got some CLubman this weekend and SWMBO hates it. I asked my dad what he was wearing that day and he told me Jovan Musk only after I said it smelled good. Sometimes my dad loves to bathe in fragrances. That day he gave me his Schick Injector M adjustable (with some platinum blades) and the handle from my Grandfather's Otto Roth. He's still looking for the head. I'm thinking of getting the Otto replated and giving it back to him.

This one made me laugh out loud.. only on a shave forum would another man admit to liking the smell of old men.. :lol:

My wife almost knocked me over the first time I got a bottle of clubman. I was leaving for work like normal, when I went to kiss her the smell hit her like a ton of bricks, I guess, and she pushed me back. That was the last time I wore it... I found something we both like (Proraso Splash - although she liked the old formula better).

I had to chuckle at this. Clubman hit my wife like a ton of bricks as well. Only she almost mauls me when I where it she likes it so much. :w00t:

Clubman. That's the old stinkum I remember from my youth. :001_smile

Top Bottom