What's new

Width??

Hi guys, first time to the forum, i have done a little search but can't find what i was looking for.
I'm about the buy my first straight razor after onverting back to a safety razor a few months ago. So i thought i would have a go at a straight next.
So here is where it begins. I can't seem to find info on the why and where for the different widths. Do i buy a 5/8 or 6/8 or i see even bigger. And looking at the pics of all various types how do you get it close to your nose with such a rounded end.
The other point i'd like to ask is do most buy Stainless Steel or Carbon Steel.
And i have no idea at all when the quality of the steel stops and the extra money is going into some beautifully finished works or art. ie engraved blades ebony handles etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Sinjin
From the land down under

Sinjin-
Welcome to the world of straight razors. I will briefly address your questions, but you would be best served to head to www.straightrazorplace.com. As the name would imply, it is dedicated to all that is the world of straight razors. There is also a video of Lynn Abrams (founder of SRP) shaving with a straight, to give an idea of what it entails. I believe that video is even somewhere on this site.

-most people begin with a 5/8 or 6/8. Theory is that heavier the beard, the wider the blade. I agree with this to an extent. I have a very heavy beard and prefer these two widths as opposed to something like an 8/8, though.
-most people buy carbon steel as they are easier to hone than stainless. I have both kinds, and both can shave very well if honed properly.
-a lot of expensive razors are expensive because of their scales (handles). You should be able to get a very good used carbon steel razor for between $30-$40... a good new razor can easily be had for under $75.

If you like, you can e-mail me and I can answer more direct questions you may have.

Good luck! These are a lot of fun, and the shaves BECOME as good as you could possibly imagine. However, there is some learning involved... it takes some time.

regards,
Drew

Top Bottom