What's new

Width vs grind

I have only shaved with 6/8 and 7/8 razors and prefer 7/8. Often 5/8 are recommended for beginners, for a reason that's not clear to me.

My understanding is that the shorter the width, the more agile the blade, the more easily you may misjudge the angle and accidentally cut yourself. Also, everything else equal, the shorter the width, the lighter the blade.

Which made me thinking, wouldn't that make width and grind in inverse relationship? In other words, the thicker the grind, the shorter you can make the width, without losing "forgiveness"? What you lose in vertical metal, you make up in horizontal metal. So while the blade might be narrow the thickness lends it heaviness to "keep it on track".

Not sure if that makes any sense but I'm keen to hear people's experiences!

My understanding is that the shorter the width, the more agile the blade, the more easily you may misjudge the angle and accidentally cut yourself. Also, everything else equal, the shorter the width, the lighter the blade.

Which made me thinking, wouldn't that make width and grind in inverse relationship? In other words, the thicker the grind, the shorter you can make the width, without losing "forgiveness"? What you lose in vertical metal, you make up in horizontal metal. So while the blade might be narrow the thickness lends it heaviness to "keep it on track".

Speaking of my experiences only, the tricky part about less-tall razors has nothing at all to do with weight or grind. It's how easily you might have the razor twisted the wrong way. That's purely about tallness itself. Haven't found it to be an issue requiring extra care for 5/8 and taller. 4/8, yes, some extra attention to avoid a wrong twist is needed, and that goes triple for 3/8.

Speaking of my experiences only, the tricky part about less-tall razors has nothing at all to do with weight or grind. It's how easily you might have the razor twisted the wrong way. That's purely about tallness itself. Haven't found it to be an issue requiring extra care for 5/8 and taller. 4/8, yes, some extra attention to avoid a wrong twist is needed, and that goes triple for 3/8.

So would you say then that the risk of twisting is not so much related to weight but more visual? I.e. it's harder to see if you're twisting it if the blade is narrow because you use the spine as reference?

it's harder to see if you're twisting it if the blade is narrow because you use the spine as reference?
See and feel, probably.

I somewhat timidly approached larger (7/8, 15/16) razors and was almost peeved to discover how much easier they were to use. I wish I'd started with them as they dampen one of the variables (angle management) when starting out.

I always hear 4/8 and 5/8 described as 'nimble' (I even do that myself 🤦‍♂️). To analogize (sorry, I'm prone to bad analogies) while it might have been exciting to learn to drive using a twitchy high-powered sports car, the sedate acceleration and ponderous handling of a midsize sedan probably makes for a less dramatic introduction.

One advantage a 5/8 has for a beginner is that it is easier to see around. Such as when doing below the sideburns.
This becomes less of a factor once you have some experience as you have learnt the placement and movement of the blade.

i started with a 5/8 because it was what I came upon in a flea market. I didn't like it; too small, looked anemic and wimpy, felt flighty, balance wasn't good for me.
I immediately went to a 6/8 and then larger.
Using larger blades was an advantage to help me; none of the supposed dangers, limitations, or distractions people imagined larger blades present to new users ever saw the light of day.
I usually tell new guys to pick a razor they like the looks of and will want to pick up and use every day.

I have from 4/8 to 8/8 razors. Other than maybe stropping I don't see a huge advantage to any particular width. You can make more passes with a wider razor if you consider that an advantage.

I agree, pick a razor that's appealing to you and make sure it has a great edge on it.

It seems my hypothesis that width and grind being in inverse relationship is wrong.

However, I wonder whether newbies to the hobby should be advised to try out larger blades..

I advise newbies to use a half to full hollow ⅝ or 6/8, explaining the pros and cons of each and let them decide.
That seems a reasonable range. If someone had told me, at the beginning, to try to shave under my nose with an 8/8 razor, I'd have thought they were out of their mind. Even the turn from the flat area under the chin, to the neck, would have seemed like self harm.

Size-wise I agree, but I would say don't discount the heavier grinds. Quite a few shaves in, I still feel like an old 1/4 hollow or near-wedge is less likely to bite me or cause irritation. I especially notice when trimming from the goatee down and out along the jawbone.

The size and grind of a razor makes very little difference to me. I get used to them all quickly enough. It’s a similar thing with shaving brushes. As long as it’s a decent razor or brush it doesn’t matter very much. The quality of the edge and the soap is much more important.

This is interesting. I've never used a 5/8. All of my straights are 6/8 and I find the size quite nice. I can still see around the razor and I'm afraid I couldn't with a larger size. However, I don't feel like I'm after my face with a little scalpel.

My razors are probably divided 60% @ 6/8", 30% @ 7/8" , and 10% at 5/8". The 5/8" are all vintage blades; I would never purchase a new 5/8" razor as for me they are too light in the hand and it is too difficult to judge the shave angle. That is why I recommend 6/8" for new shavers, even though they tend to be more expensive than the smaller razors.

I love shaving with 7/8" razors.

I have not tried a 1" chopper as by then the weight might be a little on the heavy side and the blade might not be as agile.

As for grinds, nearly all of my grinds are full hollow. I have one quarter hollow, but do not really enjoy using it. I have a very coarse beard, so my favorite blades have bellied hollow grinds. The belly puts a little more mass right behind the edge which is great for coarse beards. Victor Creazzi from Bluesman blades makes beautiful razors with a wicked bellied grind that mows down coarse beards. Although I do not have one, I believe Koraat also makes a similar grind recommended for coarse beards.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I prefer the narrower blades, my favorite razor is a Walker 9/16 extra hollow. I've been using them for years and haven't found them to be hazardous in any way.

I shave my head with my SR and find the smaller blade size handy for the many differing angles and curves.... But I am really new to all this so in time that may change... But it's hard enough trying to get directly behind my ears as is let alone with a larger razor.

(I'm pretty shattered right now so the size escapes me and I've my toddler settling to sleep so I'm not going to get up and check sorry lol)

5/8 works for me, irrespective of grind. 6/8 is okay too, if I want a little heft. Anything larger risks to remind me of my sole experience of driving up (steep) Russian Hill in San Francisco and not being able to see what was coming over the hood! 4/8 is a little too nimble for me, but I can get by with it as needed. 3/8?--no way, that was designed for hair-cutting not beard shaving. In the end, I've sort of settled on 5/8, which is what I started out with as first recommended to me.

Top Bottom