What's new

Widdershins?

When bowl lathering I find it easier to go around the bowl counterclockwise, the direction known as widdershins. Going clockwise is uncomfortable for my wrist. Now my Sainted Mother taught me to do all mixing clockwise. Mayonnaise whipped widdershins will separate, whipped cream will turn to butter, etc. She was taught that by her mother and taught it to me as an established truth. And in fact, this idea goes back to the Middle Ages.

Does anybody else care about which way they whip up lather, clockwise or counterclockwise?

I'm right-handed, and I go clockwise.

Why widdershins is "bad":
proxy.php

From nearly all locations in the Northern hemisphere (which is where the tradition originated), the path of the Sun, Moon, and stars is what we now call "clockwise".
We call it clockwise because the shadow of a sundial's pointer goes that way (in the Northern hemisphere), and they kept that convention for mechanical clock hands.
proxy.php

Now, since (as the argument goes) God made them go clockwise, then to go the opposite way is somehow contrary to the will of God, or at least unlucky.
Apparently, the word itself is from Middle Low German.

Last edited:
Dude you beat me to it! I was thinking about a thread about which way people whip lather/load the brush but I was too late.....

Yours is far better though!

I’m a lefty if that matters, and a face latherer but I load counter clockwise.

I'm right-handed, and I go clockwise.

Why widdershins is "bad":
proxy.php

From nearly all locations in the Northern hemisphere (which is where the tradition originated), the path of the Sun, Moon, and stars is what we now call "clockwise".
We call it clockwise because the shadow of a sundial's pointer goes that way (in the Northern hemisphere), and they kept that convention for mechanical clock hands.
proxy.php

Now, since (as the argument goes) God made them go clockwise, then to go the opposite way is somehow contrary to the will of God, or at least unlucky.
Apparently, the word itself is from Middle Low German.

Thanks for the explaination!! I always knew there was a good reason! :a14::a14:

I whip lather clockwise, I'm right handed and it is more natural for me. I have been know on occasion to whip lather counterclockwise just for kicks.:a14:

Clockwise feels natural but when cooking and something requires extensive stirring/whipping i'll change directions as dictated by fatigue. Shaving, mostly face lather but when i do use a bowl so little effort is needed in both motion, time & force, clockwise does it.
dave

In my younger days I was almost ambidexterous. Now, I lather mostly clockwise, but every few turns I'll do a couple turns counter-clockwise. Seems to be something I have to do.

Top Bottom