What's new

Wicked Combo

Well gents, I have been experimenting with various aftershave combos for a while. It is also spring, where my thicker solutions of choice for winter (L'Occitane CADE, C&E, Harris Milk) are replaced by lighter offerings.

I have to admit that I am a fan of alcohol-based aftershave splashes. Yeah, they can burn, but I kind of like that in a masochistic kind of way. I also feel that after the burn subsides, they typically leave your face feeling great. I am talking high-end aftershaves with some goodies for your face like Musgo Real, L'Occitane Eau des Bergers, and others.

Anyway, the one drawback of these splashes is that they can leave your skin needing a bit of extra moisture. A heavy balm won't do it here - I am looking for something light. Enter the Trumper's skin food. On its own, I find this product pretty useless. It isn't very moisturizing, though it makes your skin feel kind of nice. However, after an alcohol-based aftershave, the combination is heaven. The skin food adds just the right amount of moisture, and soothes your skin a bit. The result is a completely non-greasy, smooth, wonderful-feeling face. Really a nice combination. This morning I used Taylor Lime aftershave followed by Trumpers Lime skin food. An absolutely magical combination. Give this a try!

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
The suggestion to use an alcohol based splash follwed by skin food seemed counter intuitive to me, so I never tried it until quite recently. Works like a charm. This morning I followed Proraso's splash (the scent is lighter and much less offensive than I would have guessed, given my penchant for eucalyptus) with some Trumper's coral skin food. For days when I don't need a ton of moisture, this combo will be revisited many times.
I should mention that I'm probably in the 100th percentile as far as reactions to alcohol based spalshes is concerned. Most blends, from Mennen to Pinaud, make me want to jump out of my skin. The Proraso dopobarba is fairly mild, and the Musgo is better still. In all cases, I find I have far better success when I give my face a light spritz of Thayer's before laying on the splash- it seems to be the perfect preemptive strike to quell any alcohol induced burn.

ouch said:
The suggestion to use an alcohol based splash follwed by skin food seemed counter intuitive to me, so I never tried it until quite recently. Works like a charm. This morning I followed Proraso's splash (the scent is lighter and much less offensive than I would have guessed, given my penchant for eucalyptus) with some Trumper's coral skin food. For days when I don't need a ton of moisture, this combo will be revisited many times.
I should mention that I'm probably in the 100th percentile as far as reactions to alcohol based spalshes is concerned. Most blends, from Mennen to Pinaud, make me want to jump out of my skin. The Proraso dopobarba is fairly mild, and the Musgo is better still. In all cases, I find I have far better success when I give my face a light spritz of Thayer's before laying on the splash- it seems to be the perfect preemptive strike to quell any alcohol induced burn.
Perhaps it is further diluting the splash before it lays onto the tender epidermis?

Could be. I usually go for the freezing-cold water splash before the alcohol - that seems to tame the burn quite a bit.

I love this combo. Proraso splash followed by the balm is one of my favourites. You can control the amount of balm you use relative to the weather. Another good combo for a light day is Thayers Rose WH sprayed on the face followed by Skin Food. Scotto was right about skin food on its own being pretty useless. Skin Food on top of Harris Milk is heaven. I have some Musgo splash and balm on the way and I can't wait to try this combo.

ouch said:
Have you given DR Harris Pink After Shave a try? I believe it's alcohol free yet very effective. I usually follow this with Coral Skin Food. I too enjoy the alcohol based after shaves.

ouch

Rik said:
Have you given DR Harris Pink After Shave a try? I believe it's alcohol free yet very effective. I usually follow this with Coral Skin Food. I too enjoy the alcohol based after shaves.

I love to use Harris's pink in a one-two combo followed by their milk, although I'm beginning to prefer the Musgo tandem.
Sometimes it's hard to keep from using toomuch stuff. Once, catching me towards the end of a splash/balm/cream/skin food application, my better half--who didn't speak a word of English until she was 15-- told me that if I put on one more layer, I would create a moment arm of inertia that would likely topple me over.:tongue_sm I was, for once, speechless.

On the basis of a tip in this forum I tried the alcohol/Skinfood combo and have to say I turn it down. Don't like it very much at all.

For me, it's Proraso aftershave "milk" followed by a quick wipe with a few drops of jojoba oil rubbed between my palms. The oil alone doesn't do as good a job of soothing any raw spots like weepers; the Proraso alone leaves my skin feeling too tight, as if it's stretched across my face. But the combination is tremendous.

(the jojoba oil does have a sort of shiny finish for a few minutes, which I'd prefer it didn't, and it does leave a bit of what I'll call "oily residue"--but my face doesn't feel oily; it's hard to explain. Still, it feels great, it's good for your skin, and it's pretty cheap considering how little you use...)

vputz said:
For me, it's Proraso aftershave "milk" followed by a quick wipe with a few drops of jojoba oil rubbed between my palms. The oil alone doesn't do as good a job of soothing any raw spots like weepers; the Proraso alone leaves my skin feeling too tight, as if it's stretched across my face. But the combination is tremendous.
Wow, that's amazing: Proraso Crema Liquida Dopobarba by itself is very nearly too much moisturizing for my skin: nice and loose (no tightness), but almost tacky with so much retained moisture. Anything on top of that would feel like motor oil, I'm sure!

Just goes to show how different faces need different treatment!

-Rich

ouch

I agree with Rich that the crema liquida is terrific stuff. Have you tried the Musgo yet?

my routine is similar to those posted here:

alcohol based aftershave right after a cold water rinse post shave, followed up by Nivea sensitive balm several minutes later (after getting dressed, etc). This system works like a charm! I don't mind some of the "cheaper" more aggressive aftershaves like Old Spice Fresh, or Pinaud for that matter. However, Musgo, and Floris offerings definitely are more soothing.

Drew

Well gents, I have been experimenting with various aftershave combos for a while. It is also spring, where my thicker solutions of choice for winter (L'Occitane CADE, C&E, Harris Milk) are replaced by lighter offerings.

I have to admit that I am a fan of alcohol-based aftershave splashes. Yeah, they can burn, but I kind of like that in a masochistic kind of way. I also feel that after the burn subsides, they typically leave your face feeling great. I am talking high-end aftershaves with some goodies for your face like Musgo Real, L'Occitane Eau des Bergers, and others.

Anyway, the one drawback of these splashes is that they can leave your skin needing a bit of extra moisture. A heavy balm won't do it here - I am looking for something light. Enter the Trumper's skin food. On its own, I find this product pretty useless. It isn't very moisturizing, though it makes your skin feel kind of nice. However, after an alcohol-based aftershave, the combination is heaven. The skin food adds just the right amount of moisture, and soothes your skin a bit. The result is a completely non-greasy, smooth, wonderful-feeling face. Really a nice combination. This morning I used Taylor Lime aftershave followed by Trumpers Lime skin food. An absolutely magical combination. Give this a try!

Funny, I recently have experienced just the same thing with Speick AS splash and coral skin food. A wicked combo indeed! :biggrin:

Do you still use this, Scott? Springtime is the season for transition, I would say.

Top Bottom