What's new

Why would i want a stainless steel razor?

Some pot metal razors are okay, and some are absolute junk.

Machined aluminum heads are better, depending on type of head, aggressiveness and one's personal preference.

Machined stainless steel heads are better still, also depending on type of head, aggressiveness and one's personal preference.

...and brass is absolutely fine and can hold it's own and cost a boat load less.

And if you made one of those stainless razors out of brass it would be heavier, and your tooling would last many times longer! :thumbup1:

I think stainless is the best for one simple reason, no plating. My first razor was the MR8, after a week or so the plating on the handle started to peel. It is now in my travel Dopp kit. I never have to worry about stainless peeling and that is worth the extra $$$.

I don't like plating on my brass razors either. Brass rules! :thumbup1:

What about plastic, Bakelite, and aluminum??? :001_rolle

What about them?

I have several bakelite razors and I like 'em. They are light weight, however, and I prefer a somewhat heavy and substantial razor, say like a Gillette Aristocrat. A heavier razor shaves my tough whiskers better.

Ditto aluminum is light weight. But specifically what did you have in mind in your question?

Last edited:
Most of my razors are stainless steel handles with Zamak or brass heads. I really appreciate the durability and balanced weight of the stainless handles. I feel I'll be able to hand them down to my sons and grandsons. I don't mind Zamak heads because I like trying new stuff but I'm very tempted to buy a stainless steel head (iKon for $99) just to have a 'real' heirloom-quality piece but good lord! That price tag!

Each model razor has a personality of its own. One of my favorites is a polished stainless steel Merkur Futur. It takes a lot of learning to use, but once it is mastered it shaves reliably and closely. Controlling the extreme weight allows a very precise feel to a shave. Not at all like my other razors.

Each model razor has a personality of its own. One of my favorites is a polished stainless steel Merkur Futur. It takes a lot of learning to use, but once it is mastered it shaves reliably and closely. Controlling the extreme weight allows a very precise feel to a shave. Not at all like my other razors.
The Futur is Zink Alloy not Stainless Steel.

Stainless steel razors are good. Brass razors are good. Zamak razors are good (touching wood, with my fingers crossed, as I type this last sentence).

What about plastic, Bakelite, and aluminum??? :001_rolle

What about them?

I have several bakelite razors and I like 'em. They are light weight, however, and I prefer a somewhat heavy and substantial razor, say like a Gillette Aristocrat. A heavier razor shaves my tough whiskers better.

Ditto aluminum is light weight. But specifically what did you have in mind in your question?

Seeking Cumberland Sausage's opinion on them.

The Futur is Zink Alloy not Stainless Steel.

Yep.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/77753-Merkur-Futur-What-metal-is-the-handle

I like stainless razors because I like stainless steel in general. I like the weight and color of the metal, and I like that I don't have to buy another one for life (and beyond - as long as I take care of it). That probably applies to other materials too, but now that I prefer stainless I look for it everywhere.

I don't know if there are other Futurs, but mine is definitely stainless steel. It said so in the ad, packaging and on another site where I post.

I don't know if there are other Futurs, but mine is definitely stainless steel. It said so in the ad, packaging and on another site where I post.
Well Merkur make a great play of the fact that the Futur is made of Zink alloy on their promotional video, and even show the molten zink being poured into the moulds before being finished and then plated. If Merkur think they are zink, I think they probably are.

Then yours is the only one.

his model (Merkur part number 90700002, commonly referenced as "70" or "700") is the satin version, and there's also the 90701001 (commonly referred to as "701") brightly-polished version - each uses the same basic chrome plating

They don't put chrome on stainless razors.

https://www.amazon.com/Merkur-Futur-Adjustable-Safety-Finish/dp/B00T7GC1BY

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/446448-What-happened-to-my-Merkur-Futur

attachment.php

I was under the impression that stainless steel razors are of higher quality than Zamak and more suited for razors that you intend to keep around forever. I have seen a few reports of the treads breaking off of Zamak caps, and I think that I read in the wiki that you should only expect these heads to last around 10 years tops.

I don't know much about metals and alloys but I'd love to have a stainless steel razor simply because I want a quality razor that I can pass down. Unfortunately, they're way out of my price range. Stainless steel handles can be had for quite cheap but heads seem to start at around $100. I have an iKon Bulldog handle that is apparently stainless steel but now I suspect that it might be made of some other materials considering how inexpensive it is when all other 100% stainless steel razors cost hundreds.

Top Bottom