What's new

Why / When do I need to use stropping paste

You should definitely experiment and see what your preference is.
For myself, any blade greater that half hollow I use a jnat followed by oil on a Trout Stone, wedge to half I use a Coticule and/or Escher.
However, Sheffield steel responds very well to the Coti/Escher while Swedish or Japanese steels respond better to the Jnat.
I have played with many variations and these are what work best for me, my blades and my face. I have never liked what pastes have to offer, I've always found them to result in a harsh feeling edge.

You should definitely experiment and see what your preference is.
For myself, any blade greater that half hollow I use a jnat followed by oil on a Trout Stone, wedge to half I use a Coticule and/or Escher.
However, Sheffield steel responds very well to the Coti/Escher while Swedish or Japanese steels respond better to the Jnat.
I have played with many variations and these are what work best for me, my blades and my face. I have never liked what pastes have to offer, I've always found them to result in a harsh feeling edge.
you jut dropped a ton of knowledge in that post. i'm a newb and will research study on

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
If you are asking about pastes on your leather strop - never. If you want to use pastes, use them on balsa strops. Diamond or CBN will work quickest.

Much like you I started with shavettes and then decided to go for the real thing. Very disappointed with my first straight razor shave, bought advertised as "shave ready". Pure torture!

That started of the journey to a comfortable shave and in truth there is so much written on the subject that its very difficult to separate the truth from fiction, and I have nobody else than YouTube and forums to educate me on this subject.

When you start with a dull or damaged razor, stones and skill is required.

If your razor is currently sharp enough, I can guarantee that you will be able to maintain it with a paddle strop with .25 micron diamond paste and a clean leather strop. Strop on a clean strop for 50 laps after each use. Laps defined as strokes each way.

When I feel the leather strop is not enough, that may be after 10-20 shaves, I strop it for 25 laps on the diamond pasted paddle, and then the standard 50 laps on clean leather. Shave again and if not satisfied do it again until I am happy. Never failed me so far. Never had to go back to the stones.

Why do I like the paddle strop and diamond paste?

1) Very simply, the more you do it the sharper the blade will get. If you overdo it, you will start feeling irritation, then just back off and strop on the clean leather only.
2) Its unlikely that you will damage or wear the blade down even with minimal skill. Blade flat, minimal pressure, spine leading.
3) Because it's a flat surface, it will not "Round" your edge. A leather strop will, if you overdo it, press too hard, don't keep the blade flat. Then you will have to re-hone it on a stone.
4) Its cheap!

Much like you I started with shavettes and then decided to go for the real thing. Very disappointed with my first straight razor shave, bought advertised as "shave ready". Pure torture!

That started of the journey to a comfortable shave and in truth there is so much written on the subject that its very difficult to separate the truth from fiction, and I have nobody else than YouTube and forums to educate me on this subject.

When you start with a dull or damaged razor, stones and skill is required.

If your razor is currently sharp enough, I can guarantee that you will be able to maintain it with a paddle strop with .25 micron diamond paste and a clean leather strop. Strop on a clean strop for 50 laps after each use. Laps defined as strokes each way.

When I feel the leather strop is not enough, that may be after 10-20 shaves, I strop it for 25 laps on the diamond pasted paddle, and then the standard 50 laps on clean leather. Shave again and if not satisfied do it again until I am happy. Never failed me so far. Never had to go back to the stones.

Why do I like the paddle strop and diamond paste?

1) Very simply, the more you do it the sharper the blade will get. If you overdo it, you will start feeling irritation, then just back off and strop on the clean leather only.
2) Its unlikely that you will damage or wear the blade down even with minimal skill. Blade flat, minimal pressure, spine leading.
3) Because it's a flat surface, it will not "Round" your edge. A leather strop will, if you overdo it, press too hard, don't keep the blade flat. Then you will have to re-hone it on a stone.
4) Its cheap!

I am moving away from pastes presently experimenting with a Thuringian.

Top Bottom