What's new

Why / When do I need to use stropping paste

hello all!
I'm finally ready to move to a real straight razor from my shavette. Especially with the black Friday sales I'm buying a 5/8 full hollow straight razor and leather strop. My question is why and when do I need stropping paste? Is it supposed to be part of my daily routine or regular maintenance?
Thanks!

Pastes are to help keep the edge more keen. The regular leather strop should keep your SR’s edge straightened to a proper point for a good number of shaves (10-30 perhaps, depending on a variety of factors). The pastes (not to be applied to your regular strop!) are a slight abrasive that should actually help resharpen the edge a bit. With regular paste maintenance and good stripping form, you may never have to have your razor rehoned on stones again.

I strop on horse hide and linen after or before using every time , but only use pastes occasionally and then on a separate paddle strop.

If I understand correctly, pastes are used to polish, not sharpen an already honed edge.

Pastes are often used to touch up razors that are beginning to dull or before that happens. Granting the bevel has been set properly, you can keep your straight razor sharp indefinitely with just a balsa strop and 0.1 micron diamond spray.

How To Use a Pasted Balsa Strop

Pastes are probably the easiest way for a beginner to keep/bring back, an edge. Typically they are only used occasionally when needed, though some are using very fine compounds daily. It should be mentioned that quite a lot of us do not use pastes at all and, rightly or wrongly, consider not using them a point of pride.

Pastes are probably the easiest way for a beginner to keep/bring back, an edge. Typically they are only used occasionally when needed, though some are using very fine compounds daily. It should be mentioned that quite a lot of us do not use pastes at all and, rightly or wrongly, consider not using them a point of pride.

Really? First I had heard anyone say that about pastes.

It should be mentioned that quite a lot of us do not use pastes at all and, rightly or wrongly, consider not using them a point of pride.
Really? First I had heard anyone say that about pastes.
Yep, really. I'm not saying that it should be that way. My understanding is that pastes are much more accepted as the normal way in Europe. I have one CrOx edge that I'm experimenting with that I took to the paste after a 6K King just to see if that was a workable system, (it is IME). Most agree that if you follow any stone or film with paste, you are shaving with a paste edge. Not right or wrong, just what it is.

Last edited:
Yep, really. I'm not saying that it should be that way. My understanding is that pastes are much more accepted as the normal way in Europe. I have one CrOx edge that I'm experimenting with that I took to the paste after a 6K King just to see if that was a workable system, (it is IME). Most agree that if you follow any stone or film with paste, you are shaving with a paste edge. Not right or wrong, just what it is.
So my question is do people not using paste believe it is unnecessary or are they settling for less in order to have bragging right?

So my question is do people not using paste believe it is unnecessary or are they settling for less in order to have bragging right?
Settling for less of what?

I probably should not speak for others, but I feel that paste erases to a degree what ever one has done with their stones. Take a good Nani 12k edge and a good, acute, natural stone edge and after clean strops I can feel the difference in these edges on my face. A few laps on a pasted strop and they both feel like a paste edge. In truth just stopping on leather changes the edge too, but it will take much longer (many shaves) for the synthetic edge and natural edge to start feeling the same. Why do you think people spend so much on a variety of finishers?

If I'm talking about the longevity of an edge, I always qualify it by adding 'on clean strops' because if there is an abrasive on the strop you could make the edge last indefinitely, hence 'The Method'.

hello all!
I'm finally ready to move to a real straight razor from my shavette. Especially with the black Friday sales I'm buying a 5/8 full hollow straight razor and leather strop. My question is why and when do I need stropping paste? Is it supposed to be part of my daily routine or regular maintenance?
Thanks!

The short answer to your first question is that you do not necessarily need a sharpening paste on a strop. With the right honing technique on the right finishing stone, you can get by without recourse to a pasted strop. As for the second question, a pasted strop is in generally used for occasional touch-ups rather than in a daily routine, although some pasted strops can be used in the earlier sharpening stage. That said, pasted strops can be far less expensive than the finer natural honing stones in the short run, hence their use by both beginners and seasoned "European" practitioners. Of the pastes, the Solingen green, red, and black pastes on leather or soft woods are said to be more "organic," or closer to stones, than the diamond pastes on whatever.

In the end, it all boils down to personal preference and technique. I would personally recommend a small, no. 7 or no. 8 coticule bout for starters to keep costs down. Touch-up with this as needed with plain water to see if it helps, avoiding to get too caught up in the web of vein obsession, although a harder stone is preferable in my opinion. A lot has to do with your beard type. If the coticule and plain leather are enough, that's great. But if more is needed, then either opt for small Solingen loom or felt-line paddle strop with the red Solingen (ferric oxide) paste or a small Welsh purple slate from AJ on the 'Bay after the coticule. Either one will get you there, and will serve for touch-ups as needed before dipping back down to the coticule again as further needed.

Thanks everyone for your replies! I learned a lot so far. I probably will give some of these suggestions a try for paste. Financially I don't think I can afford honing stones and flattening stones right now. I would be nervous mailing my razor to get honed. Im sure it's common practice but if I can try and keep the edge sharp with paste I'll try it.

Settling for less of what?

I probably should not speak for others, but I feel that paste erases to a degree what ever one has done with their stones. Take a good Nani 12k edge and a good, acute, natural stone edge and after clean strops I can feel the difference in these edges on my face. A few laps on a pasted strop and they both feel like a paste edge. In truth just stopping on leather changes the edge too, but it will take much longer (many shaves) for the synthetic edge and natural edge to start feeling the same. Why do you think people spend so much on a variety of finishers?

If I'm talking about the longevity of an edge, I always qualify it by adding 'on clean strops' because if there is an abrasive on the strop you could make the edge last indefinitely, hence 'The Method'.

Okay, it sounds like for you and other pastes takes away rather than adds to an edge. It sounded like before that you meant it was a right of passage to not being using a paste.

I have no idea why people spend a lot of finishing stones when lapping films are available for less than $30. I just follow the burr method with films then strop on pasted rough out leather and an Illinois horse and fire hose linen.

For me, the chromium oxide makes the edge feel more smooth on my thumb test. Over time I've learned this translates into a shave ready blade.

Okay, it sounds like for you and other pastes takes away rather than adds to an edge. It sounded like before that you meant it was a right of passage to not being using a paste.

I have no idea why people spend a lot of finishing stones when lapping films are available for less than $30. I just follow the burr method with films then strop on pasted rough out leather and an Illinois horse and fire hose linen.

For me, the chromium oxide makes the edge feel more smooth on my thumb test. Over time I've learned this translates into a shave ready blade.

people spend a lot of money on stones because they like using them and they like the way the razors shave coming off of them. there is also the "collecting" hobby aspect as well.

back to the original question: i have been straight shaving and honing my razors for 5 1/2 years and have never used any paste on a strop. they are not necessary, just another path to a properly honed razor. you can keep a well-honed razor going almost indefinitely with good stropping - several years ago there was a thread kept alive over a couple years where a prominent member had a razor go over 130 shaves (i dont remember the final count when he gave up on the idea) with only linin/leather stropping.

True..but I always found that a strange concept and think it is an internet phenomenon. During the heydey of straight shaving pastes, "sharpening" strops and steels were quite common. There is a forum think around shaving that is based more on modern "oral" history than actual facts. YMMV and all that

duke762

Rose to the occasion

Well that answered a burning question I didn't really know how to ask. After experimenting with pastes I found my Ark edges keener but shall I say...harsher and more willing to cut me. I'm going back to leather and staying there. Thank you Bluesman.

I started with sand paper and film. It worked great and I thought the stone guys were nuts for spending money. I am now one of those nuts. I do try to find stones for cheap. I think for me it's been fun trying to feel the difference. Film has produced the sharpest edges. I shave with more of an angle so a coticule edge is just great. The welsh slate upped my game. Then the thuri is becoming enjoyable. I think for early on any method is good. You learn it then continue the journey. Some guys can have a single razor and maintain it like the men in n the old days. Then there are guys like me who have gone crazy buying a little bit of everything.have fun learning and enjoy the shaves.good luck.

I started with sand paper and film. It worked great and I thought the stone guys were nuts for spending money. I am now one of those nuts. I do try to find stones for cheap. I think for me it's been fun trying to feel the difference. Film has produced the sharpest edges. I shave with more of an angle so a coticule edge is just great. The welsh slate upped my game. Then the thuri is becoming enjoyable. I think for early on any method is good. You learn it then continue the journey. Some guys can have a single razor and maintain it like the men in n the old days. Then there are guys like me who have gone crazy buying a little bit of everything.have fun learning and enjoy the shaves.good luck.

Excellent posts. Now that I have a Thuringian and have begun to use it to touch up the wedges, I know that other stones will be added. The films have actually taught me about stone progression to achieve a good shave ready edge.

I've heard that some advanced in stone use can actually hone on one of few stones.

As to men of old, keeping an edge on an axe and other tools were something they were accustomed. I do maintain a good edge for my wood cutting tools and protect the edge from rust and wear. I use a file for the chain saw before and after use.

Top Bottom