What's new

Why weren't and why aren't more razors plated in chrome?

The only vintage razor I'm aware of that was plated in chrome was my
old Gillette New De Luxe and at 93 years old the finish on it looks brand
new. I don't think anyone even re plates in chrome.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
My Gem Micromatic (MMOC) 1932-41 was plated in chrome also the Gem G bar, Micromatic flying wing, Gem Clog Pruf, Gem feather weight head only plated in chrome and a few other Gem razors not mentioned.
Gem razors are some the best razors I have used and I have used a # of safety razors both in DE & SE.
I think a lot of the early razors from the 1880's > where designed by cutlery manufactures and for some reason it was easier for them to coat their new safety razor inventions that was similar to coating silver on their utensils. They wanted something shiny and would not dull and put up with moisture and wear and tear of shaving is my thinking on your Question.
Overtime they did move to chromed safety razors as customers demanded that possibly, one bad thing about chrome it will crack and flak sometimes becoming very sharp where nickel would not do that is possibly why nickel coated razors made sense possibly also.
Plus customers might buy more razors as coatings wore off is another thought.

Last edited:
It’s done often with pot metal razors like Merkur and EJ. I know that it’s most certainly possible with SS, brass, and often done so in the aftermarket motorcycle community for parts. It’d be nice to have someone replate razors in chrome.

Comparatively few razors were finished in chrome, the other one coming to mind is the Red Ring. As noted, the problem with chrome is flaking, because the chrome may be harder than the subsurface. Ideally, they would use a harder bronze alloy.

The chrome is generally so thick on zamak razors, what you really have is a chrome razor on a frame. Smooth while it lasts.

Chrome is bright and shiny, but nickel is, in some ways, classier looking. I think a thinner layer of nickel would last longer than chrome, too.

A lot of people don't know this, but the Feather AS-D2 is MiM stainless steel but is coated with a layer of matte chrome to prevent rusting. Stainless steel is relatively rust resistant, but not rust-proof.

Chrome is bright and shiny, but nickel is, in some ways, classier looking. I think a thinner layer of nickel would last longer than chrome, too.

A lot of people don't know this, but the Feather AS-D2 is MiM stainless steel but is coated with a layer of matte chrome to prevent rusting. Stainless steel is relatively rust resistant, but not rust-proof.
I believe chrome will last longer. It is a harder plating

I believe chrome will last longer. It is a harder plating
I'm not trying to harangue, and I'm generally a doofus.

A thin layer of nickel would last longer than a chromed layer in part because the harder chrome flakes. The uncertainty with plating isn't hardness. Maybe I'm misunderstanding a technical term?

All the best.

Maybe I see my mistake. If equal attention is paid to polish, less effort to polish the chrome would dominate? I agree with @kingfisher, terrible news for him, btw. I think I just like nickel.

Legion

Staff member
How were the standard old brass Gillettes like the Super Speeds, Fatboys, etc plated?

R

romsitsa

Chrome in its liquid state is carcinogenic and being a hard plating is a pain to work with. Many razors were coated starting from the 20ies as it is harder than nickel/silver/gold, but applied thickly, as it was done back then, it has a tendency to flake.
Today the usual process is a nickel undercoat with an extremely thin chrome on top.

Some chromed razors: GEM, Star, Ever-Ready, Gillette (Ni and De Luxe), LeCoq, Merkur, Emir, Matador, Swing, L' Essor, Palmera, Gibbs, Segal.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I used my ASR Ever-Ready 1914 model this morning,(Mfg 1914-17) and quite sure it is chromed or the coating solution has a lot of chrome because it looks like new still & shiny. The 1924 (Mfg 1924-33) Ever-Ready(AKA-shovel head) might as well be added to the list because it does not look like nickel but more a chromed coating over brass. The folks who applied these coatings over brass where very good at their expertise because they are still in decent shape.
Another two for the list!

Sorry, but what do you mean when you say 'terrible news for him'? I am really confused.
I think you are correct that the nickel plating would tend to outlast chrome, and that if I agree with you it reduces the chances you are correct. I was being silly. I apologize. I'll stifle myself.

Top Bottom