What's new

Why we sing the NATIONAL ANTHEM at sports games

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Makes me think of this ...

I'd give you a "NSFW" warning because of an f-bomb ... but nobody's at work nowadays (and if you are nobody is close enough to overhear.)

Not American, but the Star Spangled Banner always gives me chills. I have a deep rooted gratitude for what the USA did for the liberation of Europe during WW II & subsequently for my own country (Austria), standing up for us against the USSR.

Not American, but the Star Spangled Banner always gives me chills. I have a deep rooted gratitude for what the USA did for the liberation of Europe during WW II & subsequently for my own country (Austria), standing up for us against the USSR.
We have another song called "America the Beautiful" that is easier to sing. It celebrates the beauty of the country and the idea of "unity from diversity" which is one of the country's great fundamental ideas. But no, we get to sing about rockets, explosions, flags and military conflict with the British two hundred years ago.

Last edited:
We have another song called "America the Beautiful" that is easier to sing. It celebrates the beauty of the country and the idea of "unity from diversity" which is one of the country's great fundamental ideas. But no, we get to sing about rockets, explosions, flags and military conflict with the British two hundred years ago.

Of course I know that song too, but it's not nearly as beautiful, iconic or goosebump inducing as the Star Spangled Banner imo.

As a non-American who has participated in sports (some running races) when travelling within the US, I've always been somewhat bewildered about the singing of the national anthem even at amateur events. I suppose it's a case of the little guys pretending to be like the major league guys. I didn't realise it was so (relatively) recent a phenomenon, though.

Top Bottom