What's new

Why We Are So Fanatical About Shaving

I was talking with my brother on the phone and found myself over by my shave den (the conversation was just meandering and I needed something else to occupy my time) and caught myself staring at my razor collection and picking up brushes and sniffing them and opening tubs of cream and soap and sniffing them and it dawned on me why we can't get enough of all this stuff. Shaving appeals to 3 of the five senses that humans rely upon.

Sight is involved since I can love to look at the shiny glimmering chrome colored razors lined up in front of me, requiring that I always carry a dribble rag to wipe the drool off my chin.

Touch is involved when we use a wonderfully broken in boar or soft as silk silvertip or even a not so soft pure badger brush that gives a nice amount of scritch to pleasure the sense of touch. And we can't forget the faceturbating that takes place after a wonderfully close BBS and which can last for most of an entire day (the faceturbating that is).

And without a doubt smell is involved with all the wonderful scents available to pleasure and tickle our olfactory system. And if menthol is involved, that definitely falls into the touch category.

And as I think about it taste can come into play as well. Like when you are working that wonderful lather vigorously into your beard and forget to keep your mouth closed and you end up with a nice sample of Stirling's Orange Chill in your mouth.

And how could I be so remiss. Hearing is also involved. As I shave I am constantly listening to the sound of the razor scraping my beard away. And I guess one could also argue that since shaving is very much a zen moment for us, many of us like to listen to our favorite music while immersed in our shaving zen.

So there you have it. Shaving satisfies and reaches all five of the senses which makes being human such a rewarding thing. Now, how many other activities can you participate in that provide such incredible input to those five senses? I'm drawing a blank. Sure there may be others that impact them all, but do they do so in such a pleasant and satisfying manner? I would bet not. So, my shaving brethren, what say you?

Spot on. I like the variety of soaps, aftershaves, blades, and vintage razors. I was just rearranging my shave den cabinet and caught myself staring at my '54 President. That rhodium handle just gleams. Tomorrow it will be used with a Nacet blade!

Cooking rules.
dave

Oh yeah. I was thinking that cooking/food only covered 4 of the senses but it covers all five too. The one I didn't think applied was touch but that is definitely there when you put a nice crunchy piece of caramelized steak fat in your mouth or a piece of toro just absolutely melts in your mouth. That's touch. But are there others?

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I don't get all that sensory stimulation. I prefer unscented soaps, I don't much care if my razor looks pretty or not, and hearing and touch are merely feedback to know if I'm doing it right or if my technique is off.

I don't eat my soap.

For me, it's more about it being a skilled operation, and about me doing a good job, irrespective of which tools I pick up. Do it well and get a good shave, or don't, and get a poor one. It's all down to you.

I don't care about the sensory experience, or the shopping, or collecting, or having things on display in the bathroom. For me it's the pride of doing a good job. Even if everything else in your world is going wrong, there's one simple thing that you can succeed in every day, and feel good for it.

You wear the results all day for the world to see, so you might as well enjoy it, and do it right!

I never enjoyed shaving until I got a vintage DE razor. Then I needed a brush, shaving soap, pre shave and face balm. I thought "holy s**t, this is costing me a fortune. Then I had my first really good shave of my entire life. My face was soft as a baby's bottom and I smelled nice.
It put a huge smile on my face and I couldn't stop blabbering on and on about it, lol. I now have a curio full of razors and found myself purchasing antique razors to try. I think I fell in the rabbit hole.

I don't get all that sensory stimulation. I prefer unscented soaps, I don't much care if my razor looks pretty or not, and hearing and touch are merely feedback to know if I'm doing it right or if my technique is off.

I don't eat my soap.

For me, it's more about it being a skilled operation, and about me doing a good job, irrespective of which tools I pick up. Do it well and get a good shave, or don't, and get a poor one. It's all down to you.

I don't care about the sensory experience, or the shopping, or collecting, or having things on display in the bathroom. For me it's the pride of doing a good job. Even if everything else in your world is going wrong, there's one simple thing that you can succeed in every day, and feel good for it.

You wear the results all day for the world to see, so you might as well enjoy it, and do it right!
You do realize you are drastically in the minority :001_tt2:

I never used to think about shaving at all when I was younger.
I think, for me anyway, the interest came with the introduction of a real straight razor. I learned to hone and strop on my own (with a little guidance from my barber) and it was a challenge that I enjoyed . It just appealed to me.
It took something I hated to something I embrace and truly look forward to still all these years later.
Its not just that I use an old fashioned razor that I honed myself. Its everything together, perhaps based on the senses that makes me slow down, take time for myself no matter what is going on around me.
A fine silvertip with a great soap sure feels a lot better than canned goo smeared with the fingers.
Not having to beat the cartridge razor to dislodge whiskers on the sink but simply rinse it all away in a flash.
Proper prep and a killer edge on a straight is mighty smooth in comparison too.
Maybe because we all remember how $*@%^! shaving used to be before we really learned to shave.
It too may be that many of us are old enough to appreciate it more also. Not sure if I would have at 18 or20.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I was talking with my brother on the phone and found myself over by my shave den (the conversation was just meandering and I needed something else to occupy my time) and caught myself staring at my razor collection and picking up brushes and sniffing them and opening tubs of cream and soap and sniffing them and it dawned on me why we can't get enough of all this stuff. Shaving appeals to 3 of the five senses that humans rely upon.

Sight is involved since I can love to look at the shiny glimmering chrome colored razors lined up in front of me, requiring that I always carry a dribble rag to wipe the drool off my chin.

Touch is involved when we use a wonderfully broken in boar or soft as silk silvertip or even a not so soft pure badger brush that gives a nice amount of scritch to pleasure the sense of touch. And we can't forget the faceturbating that takes place after a wonderfully close BBS and which can last for most of an entire day (the faceturbating that is).

And without a doubt smell is involved with all the wonderful scents available to pleasure and tickle our olfactory system. And if menthol is involved, that definitely falls into the touch category.

And as I think about it taste can come into play as well. Like when you are working that wonderful lather vigorously into your beard and forget to keep your mouth closed and you end up with a nice sample of Stirling's Orange Chill in your mouth.

And how could I be so remiss. Hearing is also involved. As I shave I am constantly listening to the sound of the razor scraping my beard away. And I guess one could also argue that since shaving is very much a zen moment for us, many of us like to listen to our favorite music while immersed in our shaving zen.

So there you have it. Shaving satisfies and reaches all five of the senses which makes being human such a rewarding thing. Now, how many other activities can you participate in that provide such incredible input to those five senses? I'm drawing a blank. Sure there may be others that impact them all, but do they do so in such a pleasant and satisfying manner? I would bet not. So, my shaving brethren, what say you?
:001_wub: Nailed it!!!:001_wub: ....and yes we are having fun! :laugh: :letterk1:
BOSC R US.png

Top Bottom