What's new

Why the hate for Parker razors?

I tried to ask in another thread but didn't get an answer so I'll ask as a stand alone question.

Before I ask I did try to Google why and came up empty.

There seems to be a contingent of those on B&B that have disdain for the Parker razors. If you separate the butterfly and non butterfly razors, aren't the heads the same with each?

Is there something inherently flawed with their designs? Do they have QC issues? Are they spawned from evil dragons? What's the scoop?

Thanks

I think in the past they had some qc issues....I don't have much to compare to but I recently bought a Parker 22r tto and it is well and head and shoulders above the quality of the shave factory razor i started with

I believe it has to do with the past quality issues. The razors in the past 2 years have looked and performed great. Another bonus has been their low cost and abundant yet fairly unique handle designs.

I haven't noticed any overt negativeness regarding Parker razors. Your assumption about the heads being the same among TTO razors as a group and non-TTO razors as a group is erroneous, however. There are many variations on head geometry in both groups, including blade gap, blade angle, and blade exposure, as well as head curvature. A lot of engineering goes into designing each razor, and that is why we have so many similar-looking razors that shave quite differently. That doesn't even take into account the open-comb vs. closed-comb, slant razors, and adjustables.

I can't say that I hate parker razors. For me it is a cost vs return thing. I would rather get a Gillette superspeed in the 10 dollar range than pick up a new parker for more. It's mainly just personal preference though.

I haven't noticed any overt negativeness regarding Parker razors. Your assumption about the heads being the same among TTO razors as a group and non-TTO razors as a group is erroneous, however. There are many variations on head geometry in both groups, including blade gap, blade angle, and blade exposure, as well as head curvature. A lot of engineering goes into designing each razor, and that is why we have so many similar-looking razors that shave quite differently. That doesn't even take into account the open-comb vs. closed-comb, slant razors, and adjustables.

From what I've read the Merkur and Muhle/EJ each use a single head for their respective brands. Putting open comb, slants and adjustables aside. If Parkers non TTO razors really have several different heads with different properties and geometries, how is anyone supposed to choose one of their razors? The manufacturer doesn't publish any specs on each head they make.

I can see one issue with someone not wanting to buy aa dozen of their razors just to figure out which shaves best for them. At least have separate families depending on how mild or aggressive they are would be one suggestion.

Muehle and EJ do use the same head, and all of the EJs use the same head. The Merkurs use a different head now.

The question you ask is a tough one to answer. All you can do is read the threads and reviews on this forum and ask questions. AFAIK, there is no catalog of razor geometries, and I'm sure that it would raise more questions than answers if there was. Shaving is a very subjective thing, and all anybody can do is to try things until they find what works for them.

Luckily, it doesn't matter much what you start with. After you have developed your technique sufficiently, you will be able to get a good shave with almost any razor/blade/brush/soap combo. At that point, you can go exploring.

Just pick something out for a starter kit and begin practicing. You'll probably replace everything later on, anyway.

BTW, check out the Veteran Roll Call

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/375976-Veteran-roll-call

and the Foxhole Shavers club

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...B*-Foxhole-Shavers-Club?p=5524602#post5524602

Last edited:
Muehle and EJ do use the same head, and all of the EJs use the same head. The Merkurs use a different head now.

The question you ask is a tough one to answer. All you can do is read the threads and reviews on this forum and ask questions. AFAIK, there is no catalog of razor geometries, and I'm sure that it would raise more questions than answers if there was. Shaving is a very subjective thing, and all anybody can do is to try things until they find what works for them.

Luckily, it doesn't matter much what you start with. After you have developed your technique sufficiently, you will be able to get a good shave with almost any razor/blade/brush/soap combo. At that point, you can go exploring.

Just pick something out for a starter kit and begin practicing. You'll probably replace everything later on, anyway.

BTW, check out the Veteran Roll Call

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/375976-Veteran-roll-call

and the Foxhole Shavers club

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...B*-Foxhole-Shavers-Club?p=5524602#post5524602

Thanks. I have the Weber/Bulldog and the razor that came with my Boss set. I find the Weber to be too mild. I like the Bulldog handle though.

I had hear that the Parker razors were a bit aggressive and was thinking of one of their TTO razors. However, if each and every model is different and there is no way to tell how each razor will shave compared to the other (among TTOs) then it makes it difficult to choose.

If I pick up a EJ or Muhle I know that they all use the same heads. If I pick up a Merkur, I know they all use the same heads. So it's just a matter of picking a razor within the brand and I'll get a similar shave from one model to the other.

I want to be sure that with Parker I can NOT do that and each individual model has a different head and none are common with another model? That seems costly if true. It also makes it a challenge to pick one.

Last edited:
All of the Merkurs do not use the same head. Take a look at their lineup.

I think what you want is a good Gillette adjustable. Then you can try any setting you like. If you have any friends with razors, you can compare them to the Gillette.

If your Weber is too mild, you might try shimming it to make it more aggressive. To shim a DE razor, you take an old DE blade and use scissors to trim off just the cutting edges of the blade. Then put the shim under the bottom of the blade you are going to shave with (the side towards the handle). You can use as many shims as you want, although more than a couple might make it too aggressive.

Parker has re-designed the heads on their 3 piece models, making then less aggressive than their original heads, and I must say that their new heads shave wonderfully smooth. The new heads are heavier also (the base plate is now solid, similar to but not exactly like the EJ heads). I would say their new heads shave a tiny-tad more aggressive than the EJ and Muhle heads. I know that my Parker 111B has the new head, and has replaced my EJ89L because I really like the close and smooth shave I get from the 111B. Parker is also releasing their new open comb model very soon.

As far as the heads on Parker 3 piece models, they are all the same head, as are the heads on their TTO's. I'm not sure where the idea came from that Parker had different heads on different models. If you happen to get an older-style 3 piece head from a vendor, it's probably because they still had those in stock. The new Parker heads came out a year ago, and hopefully most vendors have sold through the old-style heads by now.

When I get some time later this evening, I'll post a picture of the new Parker 3-Piece head designs.

I am with a lot of guys here in that I just have never tried a Parker because their reputation is almost non-existant here in the forums. I can't say that I've heard much good or bad either way. They've never caught my eye like Merkurs, EJ's, or Muhles.... so I've just never pursued the brand.

Ben

I am with a lot of guys here in that I just have never tried a Parker because their reputation is almost non-existant here in the forums. I can't say that I've heard much good or bad either way. They've never caught my eye like Merkurs, EJ's, or Muhles.... so I've just never pursued the brand.

Ben

This, mostly. Several years ago their quality as well as the issues with Parker razors seemed all over the place. At the same time they charged prices not far below well reputed and respected brands. I simply never took my chances with a Parker, also because my main vendor at that time (the Dutch barbershop) was even less optimistic as I was, and he was the guy that sold them! So it is not that I know Parkers are no good, I just don't want to take the risk.

Here's a photo comparison between Parker's old-style heads, and their new design head:

Old-style Head:
$IMG_0294.jpg

Their New Designed Head:
$IMG_0295.jpg

Here's a photo comparison between Parker's old-style heads, and their new design head

Excellent photo comparison! I have a 65R with the new head design. In my opinion, it is aggressive but gives a wonderful shave once you get the angle down. I cannot imagine aggressiveness of the older head.

Thanks everyone! I've been particularly interested in their TTO razors hoping for a significantly more aggressive shave than my Weber yet still giving me a smooth shave without irritation. I have seen suggestions about shimming before and have given it a thought. Yet, I'd still like a razor that fits what I want out of the box. Not to mention, I like the look of the butterfly razors that Parker makes.

I don't mind taking the plunge and trying one out and reporting back. I just know I'm not a very established B&B member nor a long time veteran of wet shaving. All I can do is post my experience.

I've purchased a few solely for the handles, and I am unimpressed for the most part. While some of them look very nice in photographs online, in person they appear (and feel) to be a notch down in terms of quality compared with a Merkur, and moreso compared to a Muhle/EJ. I will say that the Sabi/Toro Mastiff handle is quite nice, and is my "go to" heavy handle. Even that, though, has a spot where there is a defect in the brass/plating.

I've also purchased Pearl/Matador razors (also made in India), and was again not hugely impressed by the handle quality up close, or that one of them had an open comb that was clearly angled and misshapen. It literally looked like one side was bent (and the other was not).

I have read reports of blades not seating snugly, which is different from other brands.

All combined, I am unlikely to spend more money on such razors until I read reports that their quality control and shave quality has improved. I expect this to happen, but I don't know when.

I haven't tried shaving with their heads as I prefer mild razors.

Parker TTO's are on the mild side of aggressive. I don't have a Weber to compare its aggressiveness to, but the Parker TTO's do shave much like a Gillette Super Speed (their head geometry is similar). To compare any Parker razor to an EJ or Muhle, is like trying to compare a Ford Fiesta to a Cadillac. Both are automobiles, both get you to where you want to go, but one does it with better quality. Since Parker has pretty much gotten a handle on their QC issues during the past few years, there's no reason not to purchase them. They are solid brass, plated razors. Their plating is not the same quality you find on EJ's or Muhle's, but they are plated nicely. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend any of the Parker razors now.

How will members on this forum know that the Parker QC issues are much better now, unless more members purchase them to find out and post their new reviews? I suppose it's "Once bitten, twice shy."

Last edited:
If you separate the butterfly and non butterfly razors, aren't the heads the same with each?

Not even remotely so, lots of variation on gap between razors. I prefer mild and my tech's are not near as aggressive as my ej89 and the ej89 is considered to not be one of the more aggressive razors.

Last edited:
The Parkers aren't very expensive so maybe I'll give one or two a try and report what I think. I have a hard time believing that there are variances in the 3 piece razor heads from model to model. Combs, slants and adjustables excluded of course.

Top Bottom