What's new

Why the emphasis on the material of a razor in the wet shaving world?

After hearing so much praise for stainless steel razors, I was surprised by how much I prefer the lightweight brass of my New SC. Much easier to maintain zero pressure with a light razor in my experience.

I'm a freedom of choice guy. If somebody can afford a $500 razor, so be it. I wouldn't pay that - I'm also a cost/benefit person - but there's always a market for almost everything and anything.
I'm relatively new to this whole world but have 3 Zamak razors and they're all terrific. I take care of my stuff. I rinse/clean/wipe off/whatever after every shave and they'll probably last a long time unless I *gasp* drop them.
Having said that, I just bought a Razorock Game Changer (stainless steel) so I'm not a Zamak purist. But it also wasn't $300 ...

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
Because it's fun, because it's a hobby.
For example, I wanted to try to make a razor out of leather, and then I finished it.
273530004_4922273101144887_3058616589370974939_n.jpg

The reason for my enthusiasm for stainless steel razors is also very straightforward──I live in an island country in Asia, and we have to face humidity and rust every day; since I was a child, my parents always choose stainless steel first when buying supplies, and tell me that it has Durable and solid quality; so of course reliable stainless steel is my first choice when buying a razor, and I trust titanium and brass just as much.

There are also only two reasons why manufacturers choose to make razors out of zamak:
1. Low cost to increase profits.
2. Easy to process.

The main factor for believers to insist on zamak is often the price, not because of the physical function of the zamak material──
If there are three razors with exactly the same design and price, and the materials are made of brass/stainless steel/zamak, I believe most people will directly choose brass and stainless steel.

To me zamak is no-go for my future (if I decide to buy new one) razor. I have 2 zamaks in my collection, in rotation is just R89. Still in perfect shape but I just don’t like the fact that tool meant to be used in a wet environment can rot if plating would be compromised. I would call that “zamak anxiety syndrom” (yep I just made that up 😀).

To me zamak is no-go for my future (if I decide to buy new one) razor. I have 2 zamaks in my collection, in rotation is just R89. Still in perfect shape but I just don’t like the fact that tool meant to be used in a wet environment can rot if plating would be compromised. I would call that “zamak anxiety syndrom” (yep I just made that up 😀).

I'm with you. I've sold or given away most of my Zamak razors and won't buy another. Stainless steel razors have become my favorite.

ERS4

I love this cheap plastic razor (2$) - the Gillette Super Click. Of course it's mild and may not be for everyone.
It is not afraid of moisture and corrosion, and it weighs only 6g, so it will not break even if it falls to the ground.
The sides of the cap look flimsy, but are really only used for connection; even if it breaks after a few years, the head can still be installed normally and keep using.

I mainly appreciate its weird design, and it's really the last DE design from Gillette.
(instead of the hybrid that uses the Muhle head- King C. Gillette)
A razor like this might not be suitable for daily use, but I'm happy to be able to use it on backpacking trips.

277352059_5089590754413120_2293467331903165308_n.jpg

Bring up this razor to show that "people who value razor material" are not just obsessed with expensive fancy looks. Even plastic is great.

Last edited:
I love this cheap plastic razor (2$) - the Gillette Super Click. Of course it's mild and may not be for everyone.
It is not afraid of moisture and corrosion, and it weighs only 6g, so it will not break even if it falls to the ground.
The sides of the cap look flimsy, but are really only used for connection; even if it breaks after a few years, the head can still be installed normally and keep using.

I mainly appreciate its weird design, and it's really the last DE design from Gillette.
(instead of the hybrid that uses the Muhle head- King C. Gillette)
A razor like this might not be suitable for daily use, but I'm happy to be able to use it on backpacking trips.

View attachment 1606284
Bring up this razor to show that "people who value razor material" are not just obsessed with expensive fancy looks. Even plastic is great.
Those look good, does it shave like a tech?

ERS4

Those look good, does it shave like a tech?
Its mild aggressiveness may resemble tech. Because of the similar gap, thin cap and exposure, and fixed blades at the four corners.
But the extremely light weight and the slight flexibility brought by the hollow plastic will make a different feeling. Shaving with it won't make you feel like a king. Many users have mentioned that it has a slight smile curve on the edge of the cap, but it does not affect the shaving, and it may also strengthen the support of the plastic razor to the blade.
It is enough to complete the task given by 2$.

In addition, because of the completely hollow interior design, just blowing into the handle can quickly expel excess water, which is interesting.

Reactions: saj
I’m not sure it’s very important but it does have an effect on the weight and face-feel, and that can make a meaningful difference to how much you enjoy a particular razor. Also looks matter, and a polished copper razor, for example, can look very nice.

A small but increasing number of razor manufacturers offer a wide choice of materials now (e.g. Karve, Wolfman), and it’s a nice option to have.
I started with a lightweight Henson AL 13 Mild razor in Black. I love its lightweight maneuverability. My second and final razor will be a Karve Overlander in aluminum (black). I love the look of black razors.

Top Bottom