What's new

Why the emphasis on the material of a razor in the wet shaving world?

One of my favorite razors is a Parker Variant. Zamak head brass handle. I bought a second as a backup if needed in a couple decades. lol

But I do appreciate the options out there and it's nice having a heirloom to pass down. I have my grandfather's he used for decades and I used it for decades and will soon be my son's.
ive been checking out the parker variant recently, which colour you got?

My favorite wetshaving eye-candy is pictures of other people’s Rocnel Sailor razors.

I doubt they’d be what I enjoy using (Karve brass Overlander, a bajillion RazoRock razors in zamack, steel, and aluminum, zamack R41, Fatip Grande, old GEM and Ever-Ready SEs…) and I could never justify the price tag for myself, but the pics of them are like Hypnotoad to my eyeballs.

View attachment 1583195
how much do they go for?

well you make me wonder, would people rather have top class razor or multplie very good razors with more variety?
i think thats a great idea for a great thread @thombrogan go on make it bro lol :)

hey guys I wanted to ask why is there such an emphasis with the material of a razor in the wet shaving world?

I have to be honest I've always been surprised that the material of a razor means so much to many people within the wet shaving community

Even after wet shaving for some time it doesn't really bother me tbh

I can understand wanting something that will last for life like a stainless steel razor but saying that most people have plenty of razors in their dens so not like it's going to be the only one thats being relied on

Of course like anything wet shaving YMMV but my question is why is the material of a razor so important to you?

Would be great to hear from razor manufacturers on these forums too, thanks saj 👍💯🔥
The focus on material is for multiple reasons over all. Some just like the qualities of a particular material.
I love stainless steel and really only want that.
Some like Brass. Some Titanium.

The thing we all seem to have in common though is a love for precision machining over cast or stamped parts.
The harder the metal is to machine and the more intricate the design along with the less less tolerance of deviation of parts means higher price.

Like comparing Corolla to Lexus to Rolls.

ive been checking out the parker variant recently, which colour you got?

Satin chrome. It's a very simple razor. For me the handle length is perfect. The knurling feels nice and grippy. I like the scalloped safety bar and it glides nicely. I adjust between face and neck and based on growth and passes. The starting point is always the same which in mine is 1.5 with a blade in. So I know 2.5 = 2

cant SS razors have alignment issues? i mean i didnt think material of a razor could stop QC issues?
I meant machined razors. I wouldn't buy a cast SS razor. I guess there could be sloppy tolerances on machined razors, but we'd be quickly aware of it on B&B and no one would buy them. OTOH, I'm not aware of Zamak heads that have tolerances that come close to machined razors. As said, for me it is the alignment that matters.

P.s.: that "play" in the alignment of Zamak heads is not a QC issue, simply that is what the technology allows.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
cant SS razors have alignment issues?

They can! It’s rare and I’ve only experienced lateral alignment in one (same issue with my Fatip Grande) where the edge isn’t forward or backward, but can be more to the left or right if care is not taken when tightening them closed. Visual inspection or voicing any opinion on the late Margaret Thatcher will reveal the blade’s alignment.

how much do they go for?

If I could count that high, I’d finally live up to my learning disability.

Rocnel.com says the bare-bones, merely deity-tier 2022 Sailor is 620.00€ with two polished varieties each selling for 890.00€. Their more pedestrian wares; the Rocnel Elite DE razor and their half-DE one called Model SE-P; sell for 285.00€ and 90.00€ respectively.

would people rather have top class razor or multplie very good razors with more variety?

I want all the razors and the skill that comes from using just one, so I can’t coherently answer it.

Zamak is totally fine for me too. I think the more important aspect, though, is production method and tolerances, rather than material. I do feel a big difference with CNC machined razors and I guess that means solid material not zamak (plastic would be ok, though, and I actually think it would be nice to have more CNC machined plastic razors. I like the warmth and softer feel of plastic).

The focus on material is for multiple reasons over all. Some just like the qualities of a particular material.
I love stainless steel and really only want that.
Some like Brass. Some Titanium.

The thing we all seem to have in common though is a love for precision machining over cast or stamped parts.
The harder the metal is to machine and the more intricate the design along with the less less tolerance of deviation of parts means higher price.

yea i agree but btw lexus is owned by toyota who make the corolla lool jks 😅😜

To me, it's actually simple: different materials have different physical properties. Some materials are hard, some are not. Some materials are durable some are not. Some materials corrode over time, some do not. Some materials look good, some do not. Some materials pose a potential health hazard, some do not. Some materials are expensive, some are not. Some are easy to work with, some are not.

I'll use some absurd contrasts to help make my point about each above characteristic.

Hardness: a razor made of wood would be so soft as to be easily cut by the blades it used; one made of stainless steel would not have this issue.

Durability: a razor made of gallium would literally melt in a washbasin full of warm water (no, really-https://www.thoughtco.com/gallium-spoon-science-tricks-606070); one made of stainless steel would not.

Corrosion: a razor made of cast iron would quickly rust, unless very carefully seasoned & dried after each use; one made of stainless steel would not have this issue.

Appearance: A razor made of straight copper would quickly acquire a green patina, which many people would not find attractive; one made of stainless steel would not.

Health: a razor made of plastic would be impossible to sanitise safely with heat, and maybe not effectively with a liquid like Barbasol; one made of stainless steel would not. Are you beginning to see a pattern?

Cost: tungsten would make a great razor according to all of the above traits, but be quite expensive: stainless steel would not.

Easy to work with: tungsten is the hardest metal in earth, making it quite difficult to work with; stainless steel is easier.

Picking the right materials w/which to make anything, including a razor, is a matter of balancing all of the above factors, plus others, and deciding which best meets your needs. Look back over the 20th century, & you'll find that stainless steel has been the pick for many manufacturers because it simply fills their needs best. But everyone's needs aren't the same. Henson decided to make their popular razors with aluminium. Some use hardwood. Others use plastic, such as Bakelite. It all came down to a matter of preference for the manufacturer, just as it does for tng buyer. For the manufacturer, a big factor was what they thought would be the product that they could make at the best cost that would appeal to the most buyers. Again, for many manufacturers & buyers, that choice was stainless steel, hence the preponderance of those among vintage razors.

-Z

Last edited:
hey you wont believe this but i made this thread today and guess what? i broke one (theres two of them) of those things on the top cap of my fatip razor that whichgos into the hole of the baseplate,
couldnt believe it and thought of this thread immediately and laughed to myself loool 😢😂💩

hopefully hsould be able to superglue it back on loool 😂

Satin chrome. It's a very simple razor. For me the handle length is perfect. The knurling feels nice and grippy. I like the scalloped safety bar and it glides nicely. I adjust between face and neck and based on growth and passes. The starting point is always the same which in mine is 1.5 with a blade in. So I know 2.5 = 2
i dont know something about the parker variant which i cant point out but from the pics and vids ive seen it looks real quality

They can! It’s rare and I’ve only experienced lateral alignment in one (same issue with my Fatip Grande) where the edge isn’t forward or backward, but can be more to the left or right if care is not taken when tightening them closed. Visual inspection or voicing any opinion on the late Margaret Thatcher will reveal the blade’s alignment.

If I could count that high, I’d finally live up to my learning disability.

Rocnel.com says the bare-bones, merely deity-tier 2022 Sailor is 620.00€ with two polished varieties each selling for 890.00€. Their more pedestrian wares; the Rocnel Elite DE razor and their half-DE one called Model SE-P; sell for 285.00€ and 90.00€ respectively.

I want all the razors and the skill that comes from using just one, so I can’t coherently answer it.
you just violated my question bro, made me laugh loool 😂😂😂

hey guys I wanted to ask why is there such an emphasis with the material of a razor in the wet shaving world?

I have to be honest I've always been surprised that the material of a razor means so much to many people within the wet shaving community

I can understand wanting something that will last for life like a stainless steel razor but saying that most people have plenty of razors in their dens so not like it's going to be the only one thats being relied on

Of course like anything wet shaving YMMV but my question is why is the material of a razor so important to you?

Would be great to hear from razor manufacturers on these forums too, thanks saj 👍💯🔥
Saj, you’ve hit it on the head.

Reactions: saj
I enjoy the weight and quality feel SS and also enjoy my light, low-cost aluminum ‘travel’ razor. For me, enjoying my shaves is the entire point!! :thumbup1::thumbup1:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
My preference is for medium weight razors.

Titanium razors (especially when paired with a Ti handle or one of Doug's GTx 25g handles) meet my requirements. The heat transfer and face feel characteristics of Titanium are also superior, at least on my face/skin/beard.

If Stainless or Aluminum better met my requirements, then I'd be using one of them every day.

Just my opinion. :)

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Titanium is best for me; when dropped (not if) the hard CLACK makes me wonder if the razor cracked a bath tile ...
Every once in a while I would drop one of the titanium camera bodies I machined at ConMed on the concrete floor. Always left a mark on the floor, never damaged the part...
Same materials, the Quality Control and Workmanship just gets better with each step.
hopefully hsould be able to superglue it back on
JB Weld. Been there, done that.

Being a retired machinist I have a special bond for all the different materials used in modern and vintage razors. I love a patina, but a mirrored Nickel finish or King's Butt Gold is hard to pass up on.

~doug~

Because life is short and you only live once so might as well buy/use/do whatever makes you happy! You could get somewhere on a buck board and horse or a top tier car its preference and what is available to you. Old used razors are great if you like them. Same for new. But the quality, tolerances, build, beauty of many new ones even of modest prices are better. But it all boils down to freedom of choice imo.

I was asking myself the same question. Besides the YOLO aspect, I wonder if it makes a difference. My current go to razor is a Gillette Slim Adjustable. I assumed it's brass with chrome plating. At some point, could I expect the chrome to wear off? And could I continue using it without having it plated again?

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I was asking myself the same question. Besides the YOLO aspect, I wonder if it makes a difference. My current go to razor is a Gillette Slim Adjustable. I assumed it's brass with chrome plating. At some point, could I expect the chrome to wear off? And could I continue using it without having it plated again?
Use your Slim just the way it is and don't worry about the chrome wearing off, it won't affect the way the brass razor shaves one bit. I loved my old worn out Slim the way it was, it always delivered a smooth close comfortable shave on setting #4.

I loved my Slim so much that I decided to spruced her up a bit and sent her to Back Roads Gold, can't wait to use her again!
IMG_20230207_161229.jpg
IMG_20230207_161157.jpg
IMG_20230207_161209.jpg

~doug~

You are absolutely right that this is a YMMV area as emphasis on razor material is largely based on personal preferences. We've a wide range of razor preferences among our fellow B&Bers from those who primarily focus on value and effectiveness to the other end of the spectrum that acquires razors (as well as brushes) from a collectables perspective.

From a pure effectiveness and value perspective the materials don't really matter so long as there is some reasonable longevity of at least a few years. For a collector materials used can be extremely important.

Reactions: saj
Top Bottom