What's new

Why such a cost difference?

Why are the Duke 2 and Classic 1 so much more than the Colonel 2XL? The Classic one has the same knot diameter and is $35 more and the Duke 1 has a smaller knot and is still $20 more. They all use best badger so what's the deal? I am looking to buy my first Simpson, so if there is no major difference I think I would go for the Colonel.

Density? Demand? I know the Colonel, while aptly dense, isn't as dense as the Duke. No clue about a Classic... the Colonel will NOT disappoint. Excellent.

Why are the Duke 2 and Classic 1 so much more than the Colonel 2XL? The Classic one has the same knot diameter and is $35 more and the Duke 1 has a smaller knot and is still $20 more. They all use best badger so what's the deal? I am looking to buy my first Simpson, so if there is no major difference I think I would go for the Colonel.

While all of the knots are of the same hair grade and quite dense, my experience tells me that the Dukes and the Classics are even more dense than Colonels.

While all of the knots are of the same hair grade and quite dense, my experience tells me that the Dukes and the Classics are even more dense than Colonels.

+1 on this. The short loft face lather brushes generally are denser IMO.

:idea: Group buy...Classic 2 in 3-band Super! I'm dying to try a 3-band Super from Simpsons.

Vlad - I recently received a CH1 in 3-band super and have to say that it is a different experience from the 2-band super and best grades alike. Very soft and luxurious face feel. I highly recommend!

Thanks guys! I had a feeling it was the density, but really it is hard to get that from online vendors. They should have some sort of density rating like hairs per square inch or something like that. I guess I have a lot more research to do.......

Thanks guys! I had a feeling it was the density, but really it is hard to get that from online vendors. They should have some sort of density rating like hairs per square inch or something like that. I guess I have a lot more research to do.......

Hairs might be misleading as some hairs are wider than others. For example the new Semoge LE Sivertip has very fine hare, while Simpson two band are very wide. It would be hard to compare the two directly. Weight might be more useful, but loft would make that just as useless as a metric.

Hairs might be misleading as some hairs are wider than others. For example the new Semoge LE Sivertip has very fine hare, while Simpson two band are very wide. It would be hard to compare the two directly. Weight might be more useful, but loft would make that just as useless as a metric.

I guess the best thing to do is to ask you guys!! Thanks for the help guys!

I'm waiting for my duke 3 to come back from WCS, the first one I had had a shedding problem. But you're welcome to take a look and compare when it gets here. Mine seemed like a really dense brush

Top Bottom