What's new

Why strop so many times?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I strop because everyone (or most everyone) does it; I'm a beginner so I don't know anything much.

I also strop because I enjoy it. That I know.

Usually I strop right after my shaves, but sometimes I dry the razor and leave it out until I have time to strop later in the day.

I have a question for people who strop right after the shave and then again right before shaving again. Why? Does it make a difference when you strop relative to shaving? Does it help to break up the stropping schedule into two components like that? How is stropping lets say 25 laps right after + another 25 laps right before shaving different from 50 laps at any time between shaves?

I notice in the shaving videos most of the gentlemen strop very little, and very hard. Perhaps they also strop at other times, but I'd bet not.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I strop because everyone (or most everyone) does it; I'm a beginner so I don't know anything much.

I also strop because I enjoy it. That I know.

Usually I strop right after my shaves, but sometimes I dry the razor and leave it out until I have time to strop later in the day.

I have a question for people who strop right after the shave and then again right before shaving again. Why? Does it make a difference when you strop relative to shaving? Does it help to break up the stropping schedule into two components like that? How is stropping lets say 25 laps right after + another 25 laps right before shaving different from 50 laps at any time between shaves?

I notice in the shaving videos most of the gentlemen strop very little, and very hard. Perhaps they also strop at other times, but I'd bet not.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Jim, there was a video of a member who has been using a SR 30 years. He stropped on linen 25 and leather 50 before he shaves. Being new, I followed his lead, but I do it right after I shave. This way, whenever I put any razor back in the little case I got I know they are ready whenever I need them again.

I strop on line and leather after the shave to dry the blade and smooth the edge after use. I strop on leather before the shave because I like to strop. It lets me get the feel of today's razor in my hand and gets my zen going for the shave.

I have seen comments that before/after "does" different things based on the steel having had time to "relax" after use, but the supposed science behind it is beyond me.

I do a few (about 10) after shaving to dry the edge. I strop before because I have one blade that occasionally hits a scale when closing and other things might happen before I shave with a blade.

Top Bottom