What's new

Why strop so many times?

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
There's a currently active thread, asking how many times people strop. The number of strops most members are doing are way in excess of what I do.

I'm just waiting for the bath to fill, and slowly stropped (I always strop slowly) my straight razor about 10 times, so it's ready for shaving with when I get out, and this is probably overkill for simply aligning the edge. Most people seem to be doing 40 to 60 laps though. Why is this?

Are people polishing the edge sharp to avoid taking it back to the hones? A habitual thing they just enjoy doing, irrelevant of the effect on the razor? Just doing it because everyone else strops so many times too?

I never count. I listen to the sound changing or feel for the draw to change. Only reliable way I know to tell if a blade is shave ready.

You can tell my feel when the razor is done.

When I first started I checked out Portland Razor Co. Thier instructional video recommends 25x on prep strop and 50x on leather. I figured my technique wasn't very good, so I added more laps for practice and stuck with it.

10 might be enough but I think you would benefit with a few more.
I know of a very respected honer and mentor that always suggested no more then about 30-35. After someone suggested to try 100 he was hooked and noticed enough of a difference to from then on do 100.
Personally between 60-80 has been the norm since day one. I almost never use linen either.
The sound does change and is more recognizable with some grinds but this rarely happens with less than about 30 strokes.
If done properly it will not cause harm or be detrimental to the longevity of the edge.
Some find it therapeutic and just enjoyable - to each his own.

The answer to your query is for you to experiment. By experimenting you'll find if more or less stropping is beneficial.

Let us know how you fair.

Chris

As a teenager I used to get a haircut at an Italian barber shop. I still remember his deft 6 strops very fast & then trimmed my sideburns area BBS. Oh the memories.

10 laps of leather is all I need. If you need/want more, by all means it is your razor, your strop, your shave, your time. Do it like you want.

Empirical.

Once my technique had evolved enough, I started increasing the number of laps to see when it stopped making a difference. When I had arrived at that number I slowly reduced until I felt I could tell the difference again.

If your number happens to be 10, then so be it.

My number is most definitely higher, but now - many years later - I no longer depend on numbers that much and the draw of the blade usually tells me when I’m there.

B.

Legion

Staff member
When I started the dudes on the forums stropped about 50x. I did it and it worked, so that's what I do. Less could work as well, but whatever. It's not a big chunk out of my day to do 50.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I do 50 on .1u diamond pasted balsa and about the same on leather after each shave. Only takes a couple of minutes on each. I may do a few on leather before I shave and I may not. In any case, I strop very lightly - just enough to keep control of the blade

Off the hone, maybe 80-120 on leather, very few or none on linen (unless I've done some on linen before finishing) that seems to leave a sharper result.
Between shaves I used to do just 20 or 30, now do 60-80 and have noticed an improvement in edge retention and maybe in smoothness. I tend to measure in time and feel, but those numbers sound about right.

The number of laps being practiced by any one person is totally irrelevant to anyone and everyone else.
When you consider the variables that tinclude but are not limited to - the type of steel, the blade profile, the type of edge, the condition of the edge, what was the edge honed on, the desired or expeced result, the type of leather, the surface of the leather, the tension on the strop, the length of the lap, the width of the strop, the pressure on the blade, and so on and so forth....
Trying to establish what the 'correct' number of laps should be, or who is doing too many or too few laps - is utterly pointless.
Every blade is different and every blade's condition changes with every shave. Given the fact that there is at least one moving target here, it's is not logical to think that a single forumla for stropping would yield consistent results for everyone al the time.

@Brutus outlined a sensible approach; one that is, I think, similar to what a lot of people do; target a point, then check the results from doing more and doing less. That approach reveals the 'sweet spot'. Wiggle room would be factored in and I'd alsu suppose that there's always room for a few more laps.

@Legion has an equally sensible approach - simply because it works.

Just strop - be happy.

I started this obsession last April. About two weeks ago I found myself no longer counting laps on the strop, but stopping when the razor felt "right" through the length of the stroke on both sides. It varies from razor to razor and from day to day, but if the blade is properly sharpened you can hear and feel when the strop has done it's job, at least for full hollow razors. I'm still working on sensing that sweet spot with the heavier grinds...

I started this obsession last April. About two weeks ago I found myself no longer counting laps on the strop, but stopping when the razor felt "right" through the length of the stroke on both sides. It varies from razor to razor and from day to day, but if the blade is properly sharpened you can hear and feel when the strop has done it's job, at least for full hollow razors. I'm still working on sensing that sweet spot with the heavier grinds...

Exactly this.

It is how I was taught to strop many years ago. More reliable than tree topping in my experience because it takes into account the feel of the razor. I've had blades that have passed all hair tests, felt wrong on the strop, shaved with them anyway and they have been awful. Worked on them again and got them to a point where they sounded and performed well on the strop and then they shaved well.

For the heavier grinds I always strop them on a paddle strop to get the same sensation. YMMV

I have been sharpening blades for years professionally...locally as a side business. This way I can afford to buy more knives and razors. ;)

There's a small axiom among sharpeners. Sharpen once, strop forever. I personally strop at least 30 times per side. Sometimes as much as 60 per side. I do it to prevent having to re-hone an edge. This way the only time I have to re-hone/re-sharpen is if the edge gets damaged somehow. Additionally, the smoother an edge the better the shave.

I think I should have probably given a little more context on my "just stop when it feels/sounds" right post. That could imply one lap or 100 laps.

Like I said, it varies razor to razor and from day to day, but I'd guess it generally falls in the in the 20 - 50 range (if I were counting).

Top Bottom