What's new

Why soap sticks?

I find it quicker and very consistant. Use a synthetic brush and don't have to soak. I started face lathering off pucks with my boar brushes too, but only on weekends when I have a little more time. Rarely use bowl anymore. "One less thing".

Shaving sticks go back a long way. They're quick to use, produce a good lather without needing a bowl or cup, economical, compact, good for traveling. Just one of many ways of getting a good lather for shaving.

1680057721140.png

1680057663501.png

1680058174207.png

Does stick v. puck soap, and separately face v. bowl lather, have any significance for brush choice (synthetic/natural, boar/badger, size, etc)?

I've never tried soap sticks and to those who do, what are the advantages in rubbing the stick over your face then applying a wet brush to lather.

Does It give a different sort of lather, closer shave etc, as opposed to loading from a puck?
They are great for travel. Otherwise I prefer a mug. Still buy some as they are oftern much cheaper per ounce of soap then the soap pucks of the same brand. Just mash or grate them into my shaving mugs.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I travel extensively, and the sticks are very convenient on the road. Plus as others have mentioned there are a bunch of sticks that don’t get made into pucks. And Arko taught me how to face lather, simply by its design. And I was hooked on face lathering immediately. Have not used a bowl regularly since my first Arko shave. The only time I use a bowl now is with a sample that I can’t load right off the top. Otherwise i apply the stick directly to the face, or load my brush right off the puck and face lather.

I haven’t seen LEA stick mentioned. That’s a really good one! Super slick, and smells great. There are so many great shave sticks.

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
I like to witness the magic of the shave stick. I’m living out of a Dopp kit for three weeks now with one more to go. I rub the stick on my face and take what’s left on the brush to a bowl. I also brought a tub of proraso white and a tube of Palmolive. My wife brings enough extra beauty aids that we pay an extra $100 for another checked bag. I get to squeeze some shaving stuff in that suitcase. BTW it’s an Arko stick.

I face lather because it works better than most alternative approaches for me. I've tried loading a brush in a shave soap container. This was messy. I've tried scooping out some soap and smearing it on the bottom of a shave bowl and loading the brush there. That works, but I didn't always get a good load.

When I tried face-lathering with a stick, it was just the most awesome thing ever. As long as you load enough soap on your face before you take the wet brush to your face, you'll be fine. I always rub the stick on my wet face longer than I think I need to do so.

Not only have I tried sticks from Tabac, Arko, and Speick, but I've also "stickified" several more conventional soaps using this.

Now, the only thing that I use other than conventional sticks or "stickified" soaps is shaving oil (like Shave Secret or Sir Hare Head Shaving Oil).

Eric

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Shave sticks have a special place in the heart of Old School Wet Shavers because they have been around for a long, long time. Their shape, look and ease of use make them a very traditional choice, all surrounded by a strong feeling of nostalgia. I love sticks and the magnificent La Toja is at the very top of my list.

Top Bottom