What's new

Why so slow?

There is nothing in the timeouts to be seen.
You are in one place and click to another and nothing happens, just the spinning wheel to show its trying.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I am not sure if it is relevant but I get quite a few of these:

bb.JPG

I think he was talking about the time outs, not ads.

Correct. Unfortunately ad interstitials are part of everyday internet-life now a days, and we’ve had to get with the times.

I am not sure if it is relevant but I get quite a few of these:

View attachment 1353255

This is perfect, please everyone keep these kinds of error messages coming as you see them. We’ve drastically reduced them, but one 5XX error is too many, and as was stated elsewhere, sometimes these errors will just lead to timeouts without descriptive error messages, so any time we get an error message with specifics like this, it’s invaluable.

After another two minute downloading wait:

1635778510876.png

... but all in all MUCH BETTER as that's the first timeout I've had since Thursday (four days).

Keep up the good work guys. Things are much improved. :thumbup:

Thanks for the heads up Cal. Everyone, apologies, I should have mentioned this sooner, but when including a screenshot of the error, can you please also include the URL you were attempting to contact? There are people much smarter than I working to root these out, and I’m told the URL is a critical piece of information.

Eben Stone

Staff member
There might be lateral solution to this problem. Both Opera and Opera Mini browsers - on Android at least - feature a Data Savings mode which greatly compresses webpage contents, quite effective on image-laden sites or for those looking to reduce their monthly data usage.
^^ this

Many times attempting to open a thread the browser progress bar goes to around 70-80% then comes to a grinding halt. Refreshing the page does not help. Clearing the cache and waiting 20-30 seconds and refreshing again hasn't helped. Oddly, going to a completely different thread usually doesn't have a problem, so the server is reachable and the site in general is working. But re-attempting to go to the original desired thread still fails. This is using Chrome or Opera with data savings disabled.

Opera with "data savings" enabled makes a noticeable improvement for me. Not sure why, because the total amount of data saved so far (according to Opera) is only 13 MB.

^^ this

Many times attempting to open a thread the browser progress bar goes to around 70-80% then comes to a grinding halt. Refreshing the page does not help. Clearing the cache and waiting 20-30 seconds and refreshing again hasn't helped. Oddly, going to a completely different thread usually doesn't have a problem, so the server is reachable and the site in general is working. But re-attempting to go to the original desired thread still fails. This is using Chrome or Opera with data savings disabled.

Opera with "data savings" enabled makes a noticeable improvement for me. Not sure why, because the total amount of data saved so far (according to Opera) is only 13 MB.

As you come across these instances, please share the URL you’re attempting to access that is timing out. Every data point helps.

ANOTHER...

While waiting, the URL showing at the bottom left of my monitor was Why so slow? - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/posts/11499687/. Then up comes the timeout notification:

1635817619970.png

... but I notice that the address bar reads Why so slow? - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/why-so-slow.615484/#post-11499687. Using the URL in the address bar on a new tab gives me the OP thus:

1635818591577.png

... but using the URL initially seen at the bottom left of my monitor while the page was attempting to load, gives me the OP again, but complete with the GIF showing, thus:

1635818890252.png

What that all means, I have no idea. Hopefully it will be helpful to the computer tech wizards. :sorcerer:

Weird stuff going on tonight. :eek6:

I just clicked
1635826397132.png
and got this:

1635826499699.png

So I opened B&B in a new tab to see what (if anything) had happened to my post... and there it was!

If I wasn't so dumb I'd probably be confused. :001_rolle

Eben Stone

Staff member
As you come across these instances, please share the URL you’re attempting to access that is timing out. Every data point helps.
It seems random. But since you asked, here's an example.

I'm using Opera on Android. In case it matters I'm using "data savings" enabled. WiFi to cable internet. 124/12 Mbps according to speedtest. Speed test results is surprisingly low (expected 200/20) but I can't imagine that causing a problem.

I went to page 1 of this thread no problem:

Then attempted to go to page 2. The progress bar in Opera went to 70-80% and seemed to get stuck. Waited about 20 seconds.

Cancelled the page load, waited about 5 seconds and tried again, same thing.

I went to the new topics list, no problem. I went to this thread, no problem. When to page 1 of the black licorice thread, no problem. Went to page 2, same thing.

Repeated that entire procedures. This time going to page 2 worked fine, no problem. Page loaded in maybe 1/2 second.

So the problem seems intermittent and so far I can't tell anything special or unique about the threads. They aren't picture heavy. And I seem to be able to navigate in the picture heavy threads without problems.

Last edited:
Top Bottom