What's new

Why so slow?

proxy.php

Since the forum update, and more so recently, I'm spending AGES moving from one thread to the next.

That's some of the time. Sometimes it's as fast as ever... and other times (after a long wait) I get an ERROR PAGE.

All other sites on my PC are as fast as usual. Is this just still changeover problems, or should that be fixed by now? :001_unsur

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
proxy.php

Since the forum update, and more so recently, I'm spending AGES moving from one thread to the next.

That's some of the time. Sometimes it's as fast as ever... and other times (after a long wait) I get an ERROR PAGE.

All other sites on my PC are as fast as usual. Is this just still changeover problems, or should that be fixed by now? :001_unsur
Good question, I can ask the magical mystery IT guy

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Yes please.

I'm also (sometimes, sometimes not) having problems uploading pics.
I get an occasional 524 error page especially if I'm doing some intense stuff with multiple tabs open, but have not had any issues uploading.
Anyway, the question is in the queue.

Last edited:
I’ve noticed this as well. I frequently have stalled page loads and images seem to take a long time to load. I’m wondering if the image handling isn’t downsizing uploaded images properly. I certainly hope it isn’t serving them at full resolution. Whatever it is, I definitely noticed it since the update.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I haven't noticed any speed problems but the bandwidth I have available is considered superfast if it gets up to 10kB/sec. That's one of the reasons why I would love members to only post thumbnail images.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I completely agree however I think the reason that many/most people use full size is because they are on a device and not a computer. Full size on a smartphone makes sense where the size of the image is greatly constrained and tapping a thumbnail is just an extra step.
I mainly view B&B on my smartphone. Full-size pic downloads are the same size (in MB) whether they are downloaded to a smartphone or a PC. Their physical viewing size is the determined by the device and its screen size.

As an example, I rarely open the "What SR Did You Use Today" thread as most posts there contain one or more full-size photos. It can take 5 to 10 minutes just to load one page!

I mainly view B&B on my smartphone. Full-size pic downloads are the same size (in MB) whether they are downloaded to a smartphone or a PC. Their physical viewing size is the determined by the device and its screen size.

As an example, I rarely open the "What SR Did You Use Today" thread as most posts there contain one or more full-size photos. It can take 5 to 10 minutes just to load one page!
There might be lateral solution to this problem. Both Opera and Opera Mini browsers - on Android at least - feature a Data Savings mode which greatly compresses webpage contents, quite effective on image-laden sites or for those looking to reduce their monthly data usage.

On the subject of site performance, I have noticed very inconsistent ping times recently. Normal response time on pings should be in the millisecond range. Quite often, there is no response to pings for over ten seconds. The effect of this is the site appears to hang, which has nothing to do with my end of the connection, AFAIK. This seems to be from the server side.

1635243746058.png

Typical ping time = 13 ms
Total time for six pings = 14,032 ms.
Average ping time = 2339 ms (2.3 seconds!)

Therefore, the first ping response took over 12 seconds. That's odd.

Last edited:
proxy.php

Yea seems to be happening on my phone too, maybe it's a uk thing? Lol

I’m noticing download stalls when im trying to open a thread. Sometimes I have to give up and back up to the home page or another thread and try again. It’s as though it’s not paying attention.

Yea seems to be happening on my phone too, maybe it's a uk thing? Lol
Not a U.K. thing I get it once in a while as well. Only on some threads.
If I go to one I don't want to see it opens instantly then have to go back and THEN it MIGHT open quickly - not always though.
Lots of problems with this one.
Ads are still a ridiculous, full screen, must delete before viewing problem.

I get it once in a while as well. Only on some threads.
If I go to one I don't want to see it opens instantly then have to go back and THEN it MIGHT open quickly - not always though.
Exactly. In fact I was having trouble trying to copy this quote. I had to clear the B&B site from my browser and reinstall it for things to work correctly. This is happening more and more often.

It’s coincidental to us switching proxy servers, which ironically is supposed to speed up the site. I’ve experienced it myself, and am working with our rep to root cause the issue.

Additionally, if anyone can share screenshots and descriptions with the time of occurrence, that’ll go a long way in helping to run this issue down.

Thanks everyone.

I haven't noticed any speed problems but the bandwidth I have available is considered superfast if it gets up to 10kB/sec. That's one of the reasons why I would love members to only post thumbnail images.
I do sympathize with your bandwidth limitations but personally I love seeing the images full size in front of me. It greatly contributes to my enjoyment of this site while it does the opposite for you. I wish there was a setting for members to view all images as thumbnails only. If I have to click on a thumbnail then it is much less likely that I will look at the image. I spend most of my time here using my desktop computer and I have a half a gig of broadband capacity. My PC is hardwired to the router as well. But even when I am using my phone or iPad I don't experience a problem with full images.

Top Bottom