What's new

Why so much love for Fatip?

Hi,

I love reading through threads here, and something baffles me. I see massive amount of love shown for Fatip. At the same time I see the same people talking about many imperfections - it has poor(er) finishing, blade alignment issues etc. At the same time again, I see people complaining about really minor things in other razors, I start feeling like somebody is cutting major slack for Fatip. It's cheap, it's all brass - but what makes you love it so much so it's a preferable choice over any other razor?

Thanks!

I have one and really like it. The pros are, as mentioned, that it is an inexpensive, all brass, razor. I had absolutely no issues with fit and finish. It was also very easy for me to find the right angle. The only down side is that it uses a different thread size, so if you decide to change it, you have more limited options (still plenty of options though).

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

The Fatip (with the version 2 razor head), for me, is a throwback to the classic Gillette razors. Made from all brass and nickel plated. Well, the two I have (Piccolo and Grande) are nickel plated.

These razors are handmade on manual machines, so there is going to be some minor (very minor) imperfections. I find it adds to the overall character of the razor. Additionally, I've had no problem with blade alignment or balance. Perfect alignment and balance every time I've loaded a blade. So, my experience has been that the razor is much more precise than the what is otherwise widely reported.

The shave is wonderful! Mild yet efficient.:)

I also own a Schone razor (nickel plated) which is similar to the Grande and made in the same factory.

I love the look, the balance, the plating, the fact that it's made in Italy, the materials, etc. And, it's open comb.:)

So, for me, part of it is a bit of nostalgia. A new razor that reminds me of yesteryear.:) The other part is a terrific shave.:)

Many complaints about the quality and workmanship of the Fatip referred to the older ones and there was a problem with their tooling and QC. The later ones have been greatly improved. It is essentially a well built, inexpensive razor that gives a decent shave.

Franz. What makes the Fatips so special is that they are both smooth yet remain impressively aggressive. It is really difficult to find another razor that cuts as efficiently as the Fatip while still glidingly a smoothly over your face. That is really it. And that is why some of us are OK with playing with the blade until it is properly aligned (which can sometimes be achieved on the first try and other times may take 30 seconds).

Within the Fatip stable, you have two principal choices...the open combs (Grande and Piccolo) which are ultra-efficient, and the Gentile which is as smooth as butter but not quite as efficient at the open combs. The Gentile is the daily driver and the Grande is my razor for when I have significant stubble growth to remove.

As quality goes, I own a Grande and two Gentiles (one with Ulivo handle) and all three are flawless in terms of plating and while blade alignment can take minor tinkering, in general they all align very quickly. After almost 3 years of constant use (I shave daily), these razors still look like new if I wide them with a cloth. The plating hasn't worn, the threads look perfect and alignment hasn't changed.

My last purchase (a Gentile with Nobile handle) has been a nightmare because both the head it initially came with AND the replacement head didn't align properly. And that is from the new batches. So while the V2 seems to be better manufactured in general, all issues with QC have not been resolved.

Despite my last paragraph, don't be scare off from owning a Fatip. These razors will give you lots of joy and last you a lifetime.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
but what makes you love it so much so it's a preferable choice over any other razor?

The very short guard span distance and the generous blade exposure.

Guard span distance is measured from the edge of the cap to the outside edge of the comb.

Such a short guard span distance, combined with a generous amount of blade exposure, easily lets you find the best angle of use whether it be extremely shallow like I use mine, or extremely steep.

In the picture below, think of the red line as the level of my skin with the cap pushed into it. The blade angle is much the same as if using a straight razor, which is why I think of mine as a straight with a training wheel, the cap. The green line being the neutral design angle.

IMG_2182 (2).JPG

I cant shave that shallow with any other DE I've used, not even my R41 which has the same blade exposure. The only other one that lets me approach that angle of blade to skin is my 1940 Gillette Regent, but its not as rigid a design so I can have some blade chatter using it.

Regent_angles.jpg

Last edited:
For me, the initial attraction was that it was an all-brass razor, it was very affordable and I liked the look of it. I didn't have any issues with alignment, fit or finish but unfortunatly, it (Fatip Grande) was too aggressive for me so I sold it. That's the thing about researching razors and reading all the opinions about them. There will be people who say a certain razor is their daily go-to and that they love it and then there are those who will say the same razor is too mild and others who say the same razor is too aggressive but rarely do any of them provide the context for their opinion. I wouldn't say that I have sensitive skin but the Fatip Grande was too aggressive in that it often left me with razor burn and it was an uncomfortable shave. Someone with a thick, wirey beard and tough skin would probably like it and someone with sensitive skin would probably dislike it more than I did. I wanted to like it because it was cheap, all-brass and I liked the look but the performance didn't warrant keeping it.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I have sensitive skin and coarse dense growth. They can take time to learn, but shaving by feel, if I feel the blade I'm too steep. With the proper shallow angle, I could use mine twice a day if need be.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Fatips are handcrafted in a small village nestled in the Italian Alps where they have been making swords and knives since the Middle Ages by mustachioed men who look like the Cella guy while they drink cappuccinos and Chianti as mandolin music and the smells of freshly baked lasagna waft through the air. Or something like that. Super cool razors.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Fatips are handcrafted in a small village nestled in the Italian Alps where they have been making swords and knives since the Middle Ages by mustachioed men who look like the Cella guy while they drink cappuccinos and Chianti as mandolin music and the smells of freshly baked lasagna waft through the air.

my-man-this-guy-gets-it.jpg

I think its large amounts of wine though. Thats why the blades need to be aligned by us lol.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I tried one recently. It's a very affordable and rigid razor, which being brass will mean it will be able to rip your face up and give significantly more frustrating shaves than my preferred razors for many many years to come. It is capable of giving very close shaves, right down to the jawbone in fact, but you need to be very careful with the angles. There is a chance, albeit a slim one, that if you get the angle wrong you'll sacrifice the razor burn, and end up with a barely tolerable shave instead of having a full mental breakdown at the thought of alum.

Another facet of this razor, is that it somehow, and I haven't yet understood why, managed to cause a razor blade to totally rust up in three days, whereas a sensible normal razor can hold one of the same blades for in excess of 10 days with no noticable corrosion. A friend of mine used to be an Alfa Romeo salesman, and from what he's told me, that may be where this rapid oxidation technology originated.

IMG_20181203_151549_edit.jpg

Any exaggeration included in the making of this post, is very slight, and was included for humorous effect. Only one shaver was harmed in collating this data, and I am getting better, thanks.

I think whether rust was invented by the Italians then licensed to the British or vice versa is a matter of some dispute.

I've never experienced this frustration of which you speak, nor incurred any injury. I find my Schone has the most perfect balance of smoothness and efficiency. Add to that its durability and it's simply a desert island razor as far as I'm concerned.
I tried one recently. It's a very affordable and rigid razor, which being brass will mean it will be able to rip your face up and give significantly more frustrating shaves than my preferred razors for many many years to come. It is capable of giving very close shaves, right down to the jawbone in fact, but you need to be very careful with the angles. There is a chance, albeit a slim one, that if you get the angle wrong you'll sacrifice the razor burn, and end up with a barely tolerable shave instead of having a full mental breakdown at the thought of alum.

Another facet of this razor, is that it somehow, and I haven't yet understood why, managed to cause a razor blade to totally rust up in three days, whereas a sensible normal razor can hold one of the same blades for in excess of 10 days with no noticable corrosion. A friend of mine used to be an Alfa Romeo salesman, and from what he's told me, that may be where this rapid oxidation technology originated.

View attachment 933365

Any exaggeration included in the making of this post, is very slight, and was included for humorous effect. Only one shaver was harmed in collating this data, and I am getting better, thanks.

I have limited experience with a Fatip Gentile - will soon be trying it as a daily driver to see how well I can dial it in. The finish is good and it did not have any blade alignment issues. After my initial use, was very impressed by the way the head glided over my skin and how comfortable & efficient the shave was.
Don't know I'd go so far yet as saying it's a 'preferable choice over any other razor' - but am already sure that it's going to be a core part of a very limited razor rotation for 2019.

The Fatip inspired this review and an entire thread titled "The Beautiful Thing."

This Beautiful Thing

The two gold Fatips that I own (a V1 and a V2) are both efficient and yet comfortable (qualities that don't always go together). They're not quite the most efficient but it's hard to beat the combination of closeness and comfort (particularly in the V2, which is the current version).

The finish on both of mine is close to perfect. If there's anything that others might quibble about, I don't even notice it. Have had no problem loading and aligning blades. I just eyeball the alignment and tighten it down well. If one wants to use a standard handle, a bit of Teflon tape (found in the plumbing section of any hardware store and super easy to apply) will make it work just fine.

If I have any quibble, it's not with the Fatip. It's rather why the Fendrihan Mark-II, which can also be found at a really great price (with the Artist handle), and which also mates efficiency to comfort really well, hasn't inspired much love.

I have one and really like it. The pros are, as mentioned, that it is an inexpensive, all brass, razor. I had absolutely no issues with fit and finish. It was also very easy for me to find the right angle. The only down side is that it uses a different thread size, so if you decide to change it, you have more limited options (still plenty of options though).

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

+1. I have a Testina and a Piccolo and both are great razors.

Top Bottom