What's new

Why so many straight razors?

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
What did you do for scales on those barn finds, that is, if they needed replacement?
I salvage useable scales from razors that are beyond saving and try to make them work on others. I’ve purchased new horn scales before, but mostly just mix and match and work with what I have…basically a hodge podge of misfit toys.

Attachments

• 2D7148B9-297A-4287-BD1B-75742E92BCF1.jpeg
    2D7148B9-297A-4287-BD1B-75742E92BCF1.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 14
  • C060875F-4BDE-4F16-8BD1-FF47D58CACFD.jpeg
    C060875F-4BDE-4F16-8BD1-FF47D58CACFD.jpeg
    5.7 MB · Views: 17
  • 1F3216DF-D780-45E8-8378-7608522A7838.jpeg
    1F3216DF-D780-45E8-8378-7608522A7838.jpeg
    6.2 MB · Views: 16
I salvage useable scales from razors that are beyond saving and try to make them work on others. I’ve purchased new horn scales before, but mostly just mix and match and work with what I have…basically a hodge podge of misfit toys.
Those are some good looking misfits.

sorry for the silly question but do you do multiple passes with a SR too?

Like a DE, the principle of hair reduction applies to straights, so yes.

Digression... How you achieve multiple passes is up to you. I often work areas (or quadrants) of my face, completing each before moving on to the next. But it's all the same thing, just keep reducing hair until you are satisfied.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
sorry for the silly question but do you do multiple passes with a SR too?
No questions are considered silly when it comes to traditional wet shaving on B&B.

The number and type of passes you do in SR shaving is just like any other type of traditional wet shaving - it's up to you. Many with SR's will start with just one pass, WTG. As their skill and technique develop they will up to two passes, WTG & XTG. Further on they will do three passes, WTG, XTG & ATG.

I found that the common three-pass shave was so effective that I had nothing to shave 24 hours later. I fixed that problem by changing to WTG, XTG & XTG. This gave me a DFS+ result and something (just a little) to shave the next day.

SR shaving becomes so enjoyable that you adjust your routine to get as many passes in per week as you can. I'm now up to 21 😊.

There is one pass that many SR shavers never try. It is called the fool's pass. The fool's pass consists of shaving the upper lip ATG. To succeed with the fool's pass, you an exceedingly keen razor edge and very good technique. I am at the stage now where I do a fool's pass with every SR shave. I do this to test the quality of the blade's edge.

Last edited:

Digression... How you achieve multiple passes is up to you. I often work areas (or quadrants) of my face, completing each before moving on to the next. But it's all the same thing, just keep reducing hair until you are satisfied.
That’s super interesting. I often find that lather gets in the way of skin stretching and try to map the flow across my face. Just shaving a quadrant at a time eliminates that problem. Hmmm

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I see a lot of people that have at least a 7-day rotation of straight razors.

What's the reason for having 7 different razors? With DE's, each razor has a different angle, blade exposure, etc. But with Straights, you have total control over the blade. So why have so many razors?

Thanks
Actually one doesn’t “need” more than two but we straight razor users have the same fascination with our razors as do DE/SE users do. With straight razors, there are many aesthetic considerations not found with DE/SE razors. Straights are beautifully simple instruments that don’t look like little machines. Some are large, thicker or thinner, narrower or wider in different grinds. In finding your preferences, collections seem to grow with a will of their own. As with other razors, you can readily cull your razors if you like. There are always willing buyers. I’m to the point where I can no longer identify razors I would want to be rid of yet I don’t intend to acquire any more.

I imagine the same reason guitar players are prone to having a collection, same with trumpet players - lol. Between Bb, C, piccolo trumpets and a flugelhorn I have eight and mine is a tiny collection compared to many players. Then there's the mouthpiece collection.... 😎🎺
Yep. Trombonist, here. I thinned my mouthpiece stable down considerably a few years ago. I think I probably have ten or twelve still. Pretty much only use three though, one for each horn.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets

Me, I do a single pass. Bam. Done. Don't get me wrong, I love to shave, but I got other things to do, too. And my razors are definitrely sharp enough for a quick single pass SAS or better.

And how many mutes do you have?
Lol - actually not that many, I haven't actually played with a band for a while. Just have the basics - cup, nice copper Harmon along with my ancient aluminum Harmon, an old stone lined straight mute, plunger. Don't have a bucket, hat or a Solotone.

Top Bottom