What's new

why so many brushes and brush rotation?

Sorry if this sounds ignorant, I'm pretty new to straight razor shaving. im just curious why people have like 10+ brushes and rotate them everyday and such. I can see if you are a collector and brushes are your thing then that's one thing but theres a lot of people with a whole variety of brushes. I have a badger hair brush and it works great. I can't see a reason I'd go start buying a bunch more and use a different one every time I shave. As my first brush just getting into it I bought a cheap like 30$ brush so I can see in a while upgrading to something of higher value and quality, but I probably wont use more than one brush.

Some for soaps, some for creams, some for bowl lathering, some for face lathering, some for stinky soaps, some for strong cologne soaps, some with lots of scritch, some with lots of backbone, some with both, some with neither.

As the others have said, variety is fun. I don't have many brushes, but I have lots of variety in other wetshaving categories.

I now have four brushes. I use a different one each day to shave. Then there's the one drying from the day before. And the one still drying from the day before that. Then the last one I practice with, making different leathers.

Hmmm. . . seems I'll need to let the practice brush dry at least a day, so I might need another brush . . .

I think a fine brush is really a work of art. If you try a Simpsons, Rooney, M&F or other similar brush you'll see why they can be addictive. Each one is different and it's fun to experiment and see which lathering techniques and products work best for that particular brush.

Watch out….it's addictive!

For me it is more of a quest to see what I think about different materials (so far boar, badger and synthetic) and different designs (knot size, loft, density, handle size and shape). I haven't found that any of my brushes are as specialized (cream vs. soap) as I would have thought from reading reviews. The brushes that work well, seem to work well with different kinds of fuel.

I think that with natural brushes, it's not a bad idea to have a rotation if you shave daily, so that each brush gets to properly dry out. That would only take a couple three brushes max. Beyond that I guess it is a matter of variety. I have tried nine different brushes and of those five are still in regular rotation, but I am still exploring.

For me it is more of a quest to see what I think about different materials (so far boar, badger and synthetic) and different designs (knot size, loft, density, handle size and shape). I haven't found that any of my brushes are as specialized (cream vs. soap) as I would have thought from reading reviews. The brushes that work well, seem to work well with different kinds of fuel.

I think that with natural brushes, it's not a bad idea to have a rotation if you shave daily, so that each brush gets to properly dry out. That would only take a couple three brushes max. Beyond that I guess it is a matter of variety.
I have tried nine different brushes and of those five are still in regular rotation, but I am still exploring.

This sums it up for me.

I grow up with one brush,one brand of cream,one DE,one brand of blade,one brand of after shave
For years again and again the same products
I can say that this combination hurt my skin or leave me unshaved but now with may dozens of brushes-creams-soaps-DE's-blades-after shaves i am much happier
I am not a fashion-victim to buy everything shows up in the market but i haven't regret that i start my shaving jurney
I learned much more things that i expected,i can share knowledge with others,i have more quality shavings
That's progress,that's Human nature.

Top Bottom