What's new

Why Single Edge razors are way cooler than Double Edge

Why Single Edge razors are way cooler than Double Edge

1. No worries about wearing one edge more than the other
2. No confusing blade numbers
3. The best blades are made in the USA, and Japan
4. Thicker blade gives more shaves per blade
5. Thicker blade gives smoother shaves
6. Impresses the guys in the locker room you are shaving with a “scraper” blade (and I never tell them otherwise)
7. Cool Art Deco razors
8. ?

What say you? Add on to the list, have some fun.

I hope you mean vintage SE, not that yuppie stuff!

I don't agree with #4, I can get WAY into double digits with a DE blade.

The razors have more character, they're more fun and interesting to use, any hipster/college-boy can use a DE, but it takes a man to shave with a VINTAGE SE!!!

I don't identify with #1 or #2 on the list. Otherwise some interesting points of varying importance are stated. I look forward to the final product. Meanwhile I love certain SE razors, including the Ever-Ready 1924, the MMOC, and most Injectors!

-Variety: DE's by definition use a DE blade, a very limiting factor. With SE's we have the classic Gem style, injectors, wedge blade razors, Auto-Strops, modern Artist Club blade razors, and more. DE's are pretty much limited to variations on the classic 3 piece or TTO designs.

- History: DE history starts with Gillette in 1904. SE history goes back further, at least to 1880. The first documented use of the term "safety razor" is believed to be in the Kampfe Bros. 1880 patent. The Gem Micromatic was likely the first TTO razor.

-Quality: While there are some exquisitely crafted DE razors, none of my SE's have "the usual hairline cracks in the handle."

-The Shave: I know that many will disagree on this one, but I find the SE shave in general to be closer, smoother and more consistent, to the point that I no longer use anything else.

--Bob

I LOVE my Colonial Razors "The General" aluminum head sooooo much :thumbup: and I've got two heads, the first head is still operational and the other head is for safe keeping Colonial Razors I'm looking forward to buy the stainless steel version very soon.

Last edited:
I hope you mean vintage SE, not that yuppie stuff!

I don't agree with #4, I can get WAY into double digits with a DE blade.

The razors have more character, they're more fun and interesting to use, any hipster/college-boy can use a DE, but it takes a man to shave with a VINTAGE SE!!!
+1 to all of the above!

I'm 66, no yuppie, and I love the modern SE razors that take Feather AC blades. There is just no blade, DE or SE, like them.

I'm 66, no yuppie, and I love the modern SE razors that take Feather AC blades. There is just no blade, DE or SE, like them.

My thoughts exactly. The thickness of blade really helps with stubborn growth patches. The fact that they were designed to be used in disposable straight razors (the blade not the handle) shows their quality.

To my knowledge, I only know of two modern AC club SE's: Maggards Mongoose and ATT SE. Who else makes a good one? I currently use an ATT SE1.

The only SE blade that wow'd me is the twin injector blade. AC blades are a bit of a disappointment to me.

SE razors are nice but they are not better than the DE razors I use.

My thoughts exactly. The thickness of blade really helps with stubborn growth patches. The fact that they were designed to be used in disposable straight razors (the blade not the handle) shows their quality.

To my knowledge, I only know of two modern AC club SE's: Maggards Mongoose and ATT SE. Who else makes a good one? I currently use an ATT SE1.

In addition to the Mongoose and ATT SE there is the Razorock Hawk, The General from Colonial Razors, Ikon El Jefe, Rocnel, Claymore, Cobra (Classic & King), Asylum Rx from Bullgoose shaving, and perhaps at least one more that I've forgotten. Prices range from $24.95 (Hawk) to $230 (Asylum Rx).

--Bob

They can be configured in more self contained, practical, artistic ways:
The beautiful injector below is one my favorites. Rivals any DE for a smooth and effective shave. (Tips: Don't forget to seat the blade against the backstop with your thumbnails on the outside corners where the blade is not sharp. The new blades are thinner and sometimes don't load perfectly straight. Also if the blade won't inject or gets stuck rap the end of the charging handle with a wooden spoon lightly and it will go. Easy does it though.)

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

They can be configured in more self contained, practical, artistic ways:
The beautiful injector below is one my favorites. Rivals any DE for a smooth and effective shave. (Tips: Don't forget to seat the blade against the backstop with your thumbnails on the outside corners where the blade is not sharp. The new blades are thinner and sometimes don't load perfectly straight. Also if the blade won't inject or gets stuck rap the end of the charging handle with a wooden spoon lightly and it will go. Easy does it though.)

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Those are soooo cool!!!

"The modern AC-style razors shave way better than any DE. And thanks to RazoRock, they're now much more affordable."

I'll second that. Makes you wonder why anyone still has an interest in DE's at all.

Top Bottom