What's new

Why no BBS with SS

So I recently aquired a '64 SS and was super excited. It was my first TTO and I couldn't stop playing with it! Further pushing my wife to think I'm crazy! :lol:

Well I cleaned it, disinfected it and couldn't wait to start lathering up! Wheeling this around my face was very easy, I have heard that these are mild razors but I felt like I could do 6 passes easly and not have any burn. Well, now it seems like I can't get a BBS even if I do 6 passes! At first I thought it was the blade. The first blade I tried with it was a Derby and I used that twice before moving on to a RP persona which didn't help. Finially I threw in a Feather and still no bbs! Being that I am a night shaver, I like to get a BBS so the next day my shave is still very close. With the SS in the mornings my jaw line and chin feel like 60 grit sand paper!

Overall I'm pleased with the comfort this razor offers, but I'm confused as to why I can't achieve a BBS? I guess SS's just arn't cut out for my beard! For now the 38c is what works for me, but because I want more more more . . .

Have others been in the same situation as me?
If so what do you think my next DE should be, what works for you?

So I recently aquired a '64 SS and was super excited. It was my first TTO and I couldn't stop playing with it! Further pushing my wife to think I'm crazy! :lol:

Well I cleaned it, disinfected it and couldn't wait to start lathering up! Wheeling this around my face was very easy, I have heard that these are mild razors but I felt like I could do 6 passes easly and not have any burn. Well, now it seems like I can't get a BBS even if I do 6 passes! At first I thought it was the blade. The first blade I tried with it was a Derby and I used that twice before moving on to a RP persona which didn't help. Finially I threw in a Feather and still no bbs! Being that I am a night shaver, I like to get a BBS so the next day my shave is still very close. With the SS in the mornings my jaw line and chin feel like 60 grit sand paper!

Overall I'm pleased with the comfort this razor offers, but I'm confused as to why I can't achieve a BBS? I guess SS's just arn't cut out for my beard! For now the 38c is what works for me, but because I want more more more . . .

Have others been in the same situation as me?
If so what do you think my next DE should be, what works for you?

It could be a number of things:

• your technique with that particular razor might be a bit off
  • the blades might not be the best for that razor
  • the SS just isn't aggressive enough for your face
  • etc.

My bet, so to speak, is on the SS not being aggressive enough as that was my experience, but YMMV and all that.

Still, with a feather it should do the job.
6 passes, easily wheeling it around and no burn with a feather says to me your angle is all wrong

It took me ages to get used to a Superspeed and I'm still getting better with them months later. If you persevere and pay close attention to your technique you should find it is a very good razor. I picked up an HD and was off! The Superspeed's a different animal. But as far as I know, others have the opposite experience.

I started off with a SS, they definitely do the job with a sharp blade like a feather, much like the tech will do a decent job with a feather. They need a feather though, one of the reasons why I am a fan of the feather.

I'm going to work on the blade angle but I can hear it cutting, it's just not getting close enough with no pressure. And the 6th pass was a touch up, so in reality, it was a 5 pass + touch up. I blade buffed all my usuall thicker spots and like I said, I could hear it cutting, just when I felt it, it was mildly better.

Thanks for the imput guys.

I think I'm going to try and get my hands on an open comb. Meanwhile I'll keep going at it.

It took me ages to get used to a Superspeed and I'm still getting better with them months later. If you persevere and pay close attention to your technique you should find it is a very good razor. I picked up an HD and was off! The Superspeed's a different animal. But as far as I know, others have the opposite experience.

I, too found that the SS requires an angle that isn't intuitive for me. With the fixed head Merkurs, I don't even have to think about the angle.

Yeah it's the same with almost every vintage gillette DE TTO. I was playing around with a HD rocket before, ie 7 hrs ago. That's a mild razor too. One angle was all grabby and rough, the other was all super smooth (like the OPs) but not much hair removal.
Which is why I said his angle/technique is all off, as the super smooth angle is all wrong.
The answer was somewhere between the two angles I used. Whatever it is, don't ask me, I gave up and used a GEM which isn't so fussy :lol:
I've been using a GEM for the past 3 months, so I'm out of practice for a DE.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
If you get a 60 grit sandpaper in the morning (that's rough), I would recommend going for the other extreme. Try to find a Muhle Pinsel R89 old type open comb. That baby will get everything off your face, skin included if not careful!

From here, I would suggest an open comb (not necessarly the R89) or the Slant.

I agree with Pablo, if your angle is wrong then the blade won't cut anything. What are you usually using?

Thanks for the help guys, my daily is the Merkur barber pol and to me that's a damn good shave. I can do 3 passes and touch up with no signs of irratation nut I can feel it there. Nothing my asb can't take care of. I'm going to keep at it with the SS, but I'll probably just use it to lend to people to try and convert them :thumbup: I also have a 60's ball end tech and I've got the angle nailed on that one also, dfs's and bbs whenever I want. I deff want an open comb for my next DE, I was thinking an old style or NEW long tooth, guess I'll look into that muhle pinsel.

Thanks folks
Andrew

Top Bottom