What's new

Why Multiple Razors?

I understand the point the hobbyists are making here, but also, I thought it worthwhile to try several different types of DE razors to get an idea of what works best for me. I even took part in one of the passarounds here. Now I have a good idea what type of razor works best for me. Some here are always on the hunt for something better, which is fine, but I don't see any pressing need.

You are quite correct that certain razors work better for specific individuals. You have to try multiple razors to see which work best for you based on your beard type, your skin type, and your specific technique.

I will even go further to state that because your beard changes with each subsequent pass, specific razors may give improved results for a specific pass. For example, I have a coarse, fast-growing beard and find that specific razors work best to knock down my beard growth, especially if it has been more than 24 hours since my last shave. That usually is either a straight razor or a open comb DE razor. I do not try to get a full BBS shave, but I get BBS everywhere except on my chin and jawline. To get these difficult areas as close as possible without irritation, I use a mild DE razor with a super sharp blade (BIC, Nacet, etc.) for my clean-up pass after a three-pass shave. The type of razor for the intermediate passes is less critical. I might use a straight; I might use an open comb, I might use a SB DE, I might use a single edge. When I travel, I only take a single razor to avoid the possibility of loss, but it is quite common for me to shave at home using four different razors during a single shave.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
For me, it's a sort of quest to find something that will give me a better shave. Sometimes the new razor achieves that and sometimes it doesn't. But I still use all of the razors I've bought. And as some have already said, variety is nice.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Not trying to be snarky. Just wondering why people have a bunch of different razors? I've got one primary and another extra one I borrowed a handle from that doesn't shave as nicely, so I never use it. I guess I could see having 2, one for your main and one for travel, or a less aggressive one for when you miss a few shaves. But why else would you have 5 or 10?

Do you ever think that maybe your shave experience could be better than what it is?

Same reason I bring two kinds of bait and a tackle box when I go fishing. Sometimes it's very handy to have a couple choices lined up and ready to go. Different rigs for different situations.
Yes, well said. Some DEs work best when shaving each day, and some work best on multiple days of beard growth.

I've been doing this hobby only 2 yrs. I just never applied my likes/obsession with shaving soaps and aftershaves to razors. Again I sincerely apologize to anyone I rubbed the wrong way. If I knew how to delete my post I would, or at least edit.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I've been doing this hobby only 2 yrs. I just never applied my likes/obsession with shaving soaps and aftershaves to razors. Again I sincerely apologize to anyone I rubbed the wrong way. If I knew how to delete my post I would, or at least edit.
You have not offended me, nor I suspect anyone else; I have enjoyed reading the thread, thank you for starting it. There is no need for you to apologise or to worry about politely asking a sensible question which I have wondered myself. Cordial discussion like this is part of the attraction of B&B 👍

No need, @jayjacque - no harm in pondering or in asking a civil question! The world would be a boring place if everyone thought the same things, and a much worse one if civil discourse couldn’t happen between people with a common interest!

The forum’s a better place for you having asked!

Al.

I have tried numerous razors - including high end such as Paradigm, Timeless, and Wolfman. Yet I find myself using the Muhle R89 most of the time. With a nice sharp blade the R89 is efficient and smooth giving a no drama BBS shave every time.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
You asked a legitimate and probative question. I recall thinking the exact same way when I started my journey. I suspect if you ‘hang around’ here for any length of time, you’ll get bitten by one of the many acquisition disorders that this group of enthusiasts are cooking in the lab.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
Don't apologize for asking a perfectly good question that has provoked some interesting and funny answers. I've enjoyed reading and agreeing with many respondents

As others have said .... no worries. You obviously opened up a lively discussion. It’s been fun to read!

You are quite correct that certain razors work better for specific individuals. You have to try multiple razors to see which work best for you based on your beard type, your skin type, and your specific technique.

I will even go further to state that because your beard changes with each subsequent pass, specific razors may give improved results for a specific pass. For example, I have a coarse, fast-growing beard and find that specific razors work best to knock down my beard growth, especially if it has been more than 24 hours since my last shave. That usually is either a straight razor or a open comb DE razor. I do not try to get a full BBS shave, but I get BBS everywhere except on my chin and jawline. To get these difficult areas as close as possible without irritation, I use a mild DE razor with a super sharp blade (BIC, Nacet, etc.) for my clean-up pass after a three-pass shave. The type of razor for the intermediate passes is less critical. I might use a straight; I might use an open comb, I might use a SB DE, I might use a single edge. When I travel, I only take a single razor to avoid the possibility of loss, but it is quite common for me to shave at home using four different razors during a single shave.
Thanks for that, RayClem. Posts like yours are a big part of what has made B&B helpful to me, as you have helped me realize I have a lighter and finer beard than many. Frankly, for most of my life, I gave the topic very little thought. But it turns out understanding one's face and beard is key to getting great shaves and more importantly having healthier and clearer skin without rashes, burns, bumps and acne. So these posts yields benefits beyond having fun with a hobby.

I see your point. I agree with it since I'm one of the few Supply 2.0 users here. It just seems like mixing up shaves with this razor and DE razors would not work for me. I am in love with my 2.0 and wouldn't change a thing. I don't have any complaints about the shaves, which I feel are perfect. I don't feel the need to take another tool and challenge myself to see if it gives as fine a shave. Why not just use the razor that gives you the best shave? Nothing boring about it as I change up creams/soaps and pre & post shave routines once in a while.

I feel like there's a more than a few explanations but here are my thoughts

1) They are like golf clubs, each club is used with the same technique to achieve different results depending on the situation

2) People (like myself) are in search of "the perfect" shave, if it even exists, won't know unless I try different things.

Top Bottom