What's new

Why Multiple Razors?

Not trying to be snarky. Just wondering why people have a bunch of different razors? I've got one primary and another extra one I borrowed a handle from that doesn't shave as nicely, so I never use it. I guess I could see having 2, one for your main and one for travel, or a less aggressive one for when you miss a few shaves. But why else would you have 5 or 10?

Variety is the spice of life. I don't own anything as expensive as a Wolfman, but each razor is different. The other thing is whether you consider shaving a chore or a hobby. If it is a chore you will have the minimum gear to get the job done. I happen to view it as a hobby, so experiencing different gear is a big part of it for me.

I'm the same as you OP, don't see the need. No knock on those with collections - I've seen them and many are gorgeous, but "Buy once, cry once" is the general motto I try to go by, so I research for the best I can afford + a little stretch, buy it, and use it until it breaks or I throw it out.
Bought a 3824 Savile Row silvertip badger brush a decade ago, still use it everyday without having lost more than 5 hairs in all that time; no complaints here. Used the same DE razor, a Merkur 38c, for 9 years.
Now getting into straights, and it's the first time I may own more than one razor at a time, though to avoid the RAD, or buying addiction some suffer with, I'm limiting myself to the top razors I can find/afford. Have a Tanifuji Cape 2000 now to represent Japan, currently circling like a wolf on a Tim Zowada for the finest steel from the US, and that will probably be it unless Takami/Yuji Amano ever decides to make a western folding razor with white #1 steel or I find a NOS Kamijo or Iwasaki tamahagane folder

Last edited:

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I'm the same as you OP, don't see the need. No knock on those with collections - I've seen them and many are gorgeous, but "Buy once, cry once" is the general motto I try to go by, so I research for the best I can afford + a little stretch, buy it, and use it until it breaks or I throw it out.
Bought a silvertip badger brush a decade ago for $150, still use it everyday without having lost more than 5 hairs in all that time; no complaints here. Used the same DE razor, a Merkur 38c, for 9 years.
Now getting into straights, and it's the first time I may own more than one razor at a time, though to avoid the RAD, or buying addiction some suffer with, I'm limiting myself to the top razors I can find/afford. Have a Tanifuji now to represent Japan, currently circling like a wolf on a Tim Zowada for the finest steel from the US, and that will probably be it unless Takami/Yuji Amano ever decides to make a western folding razor with white #1 steel or I find a NOS Kamijo or Iwasaki tamahagane folder
Researching and buying 'the best I can afford' does not really work for me in terms of brushes and razors since it is all subjective. Some of my favourites are what might be called 'high end', some are very inexpensive indeed, and some expensive razors and brushes I do not care for at all. I discovered which ones I preferred by acquiring a variety and trying them for myself.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
I agree, why would anyone own more than 1 DE razor; now SE razors, Shavettes, and Straight Razors, that's another story!!! :laugh: And I'm just kidding, I've got well into the double digits of DE razors (and SE razors, as well as multiple shavettes and straight razors)....I just like to pick on my seemingly more popular brethren (DE shavers).

As to the REAL answer to the question that was posed, well both @Hannah's Dad and @PreachTheWord said it best above. I will also admit to having more than one brush, more than one soap, more than one type of cream, and even a few aftershaves, although I will confess that I *usually* use only one at a time when I shave. ;)

All that said, I do thoroughly respect those folks who have found that one razor, and/or blade, brush, soap, or cream that really speaks to them and gives them joy.

Last edited:
Researching and buying 'the best I can afford' does not really work for me in terms of brushes and razors since it is all subjective. Some of my favourites are what might be called 'high end', some are very inexpensive indeed, and some expensive razors and brushes I do not care for at all. I discovered which ones I preferred by acquiring a variety and trying them for myself.

To each his own! Nosce Teipsum, know thyself, is a worthy maxim. I know myself well enough to know that I wouldn't stop at a few if I wanted to try variety - between the razors, strops, stones, hones, soaps, brushes, creams and more, I'd go crazy and broke :lol:
I buy the best I can afford so I can reliably say "I've either got the best, or close enough to it that the next best thing is way out of my financial ability; there's no point to buying more" and put a halt to the RAD that afflicts so many of our steel shaving brethren. If I do buy something else, it needs to be radically different than what I'm already using to draw my interest (which is what drew me off DE and into straights)

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I appreciate design. The fact that a 70 year old razor that’s been passed around and used as a tool still preforms flawlessly is incredible by today’s disposable standards. The mix of design and aesthetic appeal to me. I want to be apart of that, to share in that. I’m sure some guys have some really special pieces that may never get used and I respect that. I prefer to use the modest collection I have and drool over others.

Because they’re cool. Has nothing to do with “need”. If you think razors are cool and like collecting then ....... that’s cool. If not, that’s cool too.

I had no idea I thought they were cool ..... but then I got involved and now have a collection most of my friends think is silly. I enjoy having them and using them ......different shaving experience with each ..... and since I shave every day that’s a lot of experiences ..... so for me, it’s cool.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Because they’re cool. Has nothing to do with “need”. If you think razors are cool and like collecting then ....... that’s cool. If not, that’s cool too.

I had no idea I thought they were cool ..... but then I got involved and now have a collection most of my friends think is silly. I enjoy having them and using them ......different shaving experience with each ..... and since I shave every day that’s a lot of experiences ..... so for me, it’s cool.
1600470639170.gif

I could get by with one razor, one brush, one type of blade and one soap, but then shaving would be boring. I have two dozen straight razors, a shavette, a dozen DE razors, and two SE razors. I have two dozen types of razor blades. I have 18 brushes. I have 180 soaps. Considering that straight razors come with their own blade, that gives me about 1/2 million options when I select my hardware and software for my shave. Thus, I could shave daily for the next 1370 years and never have to use the exact same combination of hardware and software twice. Of course, I would probably run out of soaps and blades before then. I have enough blades to last about 15 years and enough soaps to last over 30. I might live long enough to use all my blades, but I doubt I will outlive my soaps. Do I need that much hardware and software? Absolutely not! Is having it fun? Definitely!

Not trying to be snarky. Just wondering why people have a bunch of different razors? I've got one primary and another extra one I borrowed a handle from that doesn't shave as nicely, so I never use it. I guess I could see having 2, one for your main and one for travel, or a less aggressive one for when you miss a few shaves. But why else would you have 5 or 10?
I understand the point the hobbyists are making here, but also, I thought it worthwhile to try several different types of DE razors to get an idea of what works best for me. I even took part in one of the passarounds here. Now I have a good idea what type of razor works best for me. Some here are always on the hunt for something better, which is fine, but I don't see any pressing need.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

I enjoy the differences in the various razors, brushes, soaps, splashes, etc.

Variety transforms an otherwise boring chore into an enjoyable hobby.

And a big +1 to @Hannah's Dad - spot on. :)

Variety is a big thing for me as well as have many said.

Also, this is my one hobby. I don't have a boat or a nice car.

Also, my collection of vintage razors is like a library. Each one has its own story, from the guys who have used it before me, even if I don't know what those stories are specifically.

(Sent from mobile)

Top Bottom