What's new

Why melt soaps?

Newbie question obviously, but I've seen a few references on the board to melting soaps in the microwave. Why do you do this? My first guess is so that the soap will mold itself to the container you're keeping it in. Am I wrong about that? Any other reasons?

Glycerine soaps can also be melted into a container that is set in a pan of boiling water for a few minutes. There is less chance of burning the soap this way (though the microwave works great if you are not me).

Tripple milled soaps can be milled into a new container using a spice-grater or a microplane.

Your SO will think you are barking the first time you do this.

Just be careful to not get it too hot. The fragrances can be destroyed with too much heat and for a first timer, I recommend the double boiler. You have more control over it.

Personally, I see no reason to melt them. I find the soap is generally well fixed to the bottom of a vessel within two or three shaves, and any gap between the soap and vessel quickly becomes part of my mechanism for maintaining the right water balance.

I agree with you I let my soap soak in hot water in its dish while I take my morning shower and its ready too go when I'mready too shave

I have to add my two cents to this thread regarding melting shave soaps, specifically SCS soaps. This is copied from my 'Refund Policy' statement on my website regarding my money back guarantee:

" NO refund or replacement will be made for shave soap that has been degraded by microwave, oven process, double boiler process or any method of applied heat to my soap. "

Melt if you must but for SCS soaps it voids the guarantee.

Making changes or modifications to any product or purchase would potentially void the manufacturers money -back guarantee I would think.

I really can't think of any product type I could change and then refund.

YMMV, Sue

Sue,
Not that I'm looking to return any soap, but how do you feel about grating and then reforming the soap? In your eyes is this as destructive a process as melting?

Zack,
Just grating it and then smashing it into a bowl? If this is what you mean and no melting, I don't think it would be problematic to "shaving" with it. But....if I received a ball of my smashed soap back for a refund, I wouild wonder what had happened to it while I emailed the customer that 'no refund' will be allowed.

Think of taking 'any' product back to a store or merchant that has been changed; from a cheap-o shampoo you fragranced yourself and decided you didn't like it to a shirt you changed the collar on or modified it to a short sleeve, a magazine with the coupons cut out ..... oh, how about the bathroom book on Seinfeld? I don't know ?? I can't think of any product with customer modifications that would not be detrimental.

I don't think I am being unfair or unreasonable ??
Sue

Sue - I think your policy makes complete sense and is reasonable.

Once you start playing around with any product, its hard to tell if there's a problem with the product as supplied or because of how its been treated by the customer.

Practically, if people are concerned about gauging whether a soap performs as promised, they should use it a couple of times in its original form before melting, grating etc.

I've melted several glycerine soaps with no problems whatsoever - I like them to form fit the container.

Also most hard soap pucks will fit into a variety of small glass or plastic containers (I use the Ziploc bowls) and settle in nicely after a couple of uses.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I have to add my two cents to this thread regarding melting shave soaps, specifically SCS soaps. This is copied from my 'Refund Policy' statement on my website regarding my money back guarantee:

" NO refund or replacement will be made for shave soap that has been degraded by microwave, oven process, double boiler process or any method of applied heat to my soap. "

Melt if you must but for SCS soaps it voids the guarantee.

Making changes or modifications to any product or purchase would potentially void the manufacturers money -back guarantee I would think.

I really can't think of any product type I could change and then refund.

YMMV, Sue

Sue,

Your no-melted-refund policy is certainly fair and makes sense, and I realise that there is a risk that we assume when we undertake a soap-melting, but your soaps are capable of being melted, right? I know I can melt Honeybee and Mama Bear, and can't melt TOBS or T&H ...

... so it may be guarantee-voidingly risky, but can be done, right?

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Newbie question obviously, but I've seen a few references on the board to melting soaps in the microwave. Why do you do this? My first guess is so that the soap will mold itself to the container you're keeping it in. Am I wrong about that? Any other reasons?

I have been using shave soaps for many years now and have never melted one. The soap may flop around the first few times, but it always sticks itself firmly to the mug after a few uses. I use both glycerin and milled soaps and they both seat themselves just fine.

Top Bottom