What's new

why lavendar was so popular with older soaps?

Seeing the threads for older/vintage soaps, I've noticed that many indicate lavendar as the scent.

Was there something about lavendar that made it such a popular choice? Or was it just a marketing ploy back in the day?

I'm not old enough to say I was around when these soaps were still produced but it has made me curious.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Rafi

Lavender is a great scent. Back in the day, floral scents were considered very masculine. Rose, Lilac, & Lavender all very manly.

I think that lavender has been historically associated with cleaning and cleanliness. This isn't just in Victorian soaps. It seems that the history goes back to Roman practice and can be found in biblical references too.

I think it was less of a marketing ploy and more of an economic decision.

Lavender is a scent that is popular with both men and women, so it has more universal appeal. Also, it was available in abundance in England and France. Its relatively inexpensive and easy to process.

Personally, I don't care too much for floral scents. I won't use Rose or Lemon or LIme or any of the froo-froo scents like Vanilla Musk or Orange Sherbert. Sandalwood makes me itch. But I'll take all the Lavender I can get.

I think that lavender has been historically associated with cleaning and cleanliness. This isn't just in Victorian soaps. It seems that the history goes back to Roman practice and can be found in biblical references too.

Nid Hog, a.k.a. as the Lavender King, is exactly right. It has a long history starting with the Egyptians who used it in there mummification process and the Greeks and Romans who used it in bathing.

Info link:

http://www.lavenderfarm.com/history.htm

Same goes for mint usage in toothpastes. My parents who are dentists said it is all about price, easy of use and scent effectiveness.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Lavender is a great all around scent.
With a bit of this or that you can change it from a feminine floral to a very masculine floral.
It fits well with soaps, colognes, perfumes and as a general room scent so it is able to cover a lot of ground in the market place.

Some folks don't like florals because of the actual smell, but there are a small group that are off put because they think florals aren't "manly".

To those select few I say a true independant man can wear what he likes without worrying that someone else will think he is less masculine. :001_smile

I think it was less of a marketing ploy and more of an economic decision.

Lavender is a scent that is popular with both men and women, so it has more universal appeal. Also, it was available in abundance in England and France. Its relatively inexpensive and easy to process.

Personally, I don't care too much for floral scents. I won't use Rose or Lemon or LIme or any of the froo-froo scents like Vanilla Musk or Orange Sherbert. Sandalwood makes me itch. But I'll take all the Lavender I can get.

/agree with bolded

Lavender EO is dirt cheap and smells good. Get some recently dried lavender and you'll see why. Crush a couple buds between your fingers and they'll be almost greasy with fragrant oils.

I keep lavender in my office plugin air freshener...dryer sheets and laundry soap...hand soap in the bathrooms...and yes soap/cream A/S milk and cologne...but I never reek with the stuff....it has a very calming effect for me...

Lavander isn't super cheap. A good lavander starts at about $60 for 16 ounces. If you want cheap get Fragrance oils. Lavander fragrance oil ie. synthetic costs about $16 for 16 ounces. It is much cheaper than the more expensive EO's like Rose($1800 to $4600 per pound) or Jasmine($1200 to $2000) though. I think Lavander is very masculine as both Rose and Jasmine can be if mixed with the right other EO's. Cheaper EO's like eucalyptus at about $17 are also available and very cost effective.

From a biochemical standpoint, the smell of lavender combined with the smell of pumpkin pie has the greatest arousal effect on men of any scent.

Just 2 cents from the resident nerd :blush:

From a biochemical standpoint, the smell of lavender combined with the smell of pumpkin pie has the greatest arousal effect on men of any scent.

Just 2 cents from the resident nerd :blush:

Really? I've alway found Lavender to be quite relaxing, as scents go (never tried combining it with pumpkin, though....). I really enjoy lavender AOS soap (and MANY current soaps and creams have Lavender offerings, not just the vintage ones, btw).

Recently bought a small bottle of EO at Whole Foods to scent MBWs pillow. She doesn't sleep well, but it seems to help and we both enjoy the scent.

Enjoy the lavender!

Ken

Top Bottom