What's new

Why Is Your Shaving Equipment The Best?

Actually there is no best.

But You've chosen your Shaving Cream, Brush, Razor and Blade because you think it's the best for you. I think it's very interesting why everyone makes there decision before and after the sale.

Whether for just one piece of equipment or everything please Share.

For Example:

I'm using:

Pre-shave DIY Oil → 40% Castor Oil +30% Jojoba +30% Grapeseed The Grapeseed and Jojoba thin out the Castor Oil. I think that it helps soften the beard

Col Conks Glycerin Soap combined with Proraso Cream Green Packaging → Neither one on it's own soaps up very well but when combined they work together to make a really good lather. Very Protective. I found out about this when I was reading reviews of the Col Conk Glycerin Soap. One reviewer gave it a 4 because he said that it didn't foam much on it's own but when combined with the Taylor Sandalwood cream it worked great.

Parker Silver Tip Badger Brush → Great Brush very soft on the outside but stiffens up.→ Abused it with Hot Water and hasn't lost a single bristle. I was totally confused when it came time to buying a Brush. I figured that Parker was a reputable company that has been around awhile and there price was reasonable. Oh and so many recommended the Silver Badger.

Parker Variant Razor.
I bought it because it had good reviews on YouTube. It's very heavy weighing in at 110g. As a reference a Merkur 34c weighs in at 68g. It also has a long handle.
I enjoy the heft, the adjust-ability and a better feeling of control that a long handle gives me. BTW Setting 3 is a great Shave, Not too Aggressive and not too weak.

Personna Red Package Made in Israel Blades→ This is the best blade that I've run across. The sharpness measures 41 whereas most razor blades are less sharp Except the Feather which weigh in at around 32. The Nacet is a little sharper around a 39 but I don't like the second shave on the Nacet maybe because it goes down to a 35. I tried the Personna Reds because so many raved about them. I wasn't disappointed. If you are interested in how sharp different blades are and how durable go to this SITE to see how the different Razors tested out

Your question is a pretty big can of worms, but I'll bite. Here goes!

I love my DE razor collection (modern and vintage) because they shave well, are comfortable, look cool, and make shaving an enjoyable/rewarding experience so that it's become a hobby. Same for my brushes, SE razors, my 1-2 shavettes, collection of soaps and creams, a few bowls, . . .

For more specifics, I'll be briefer than normal.

Current razor - Fatip Gentile in gold with fat handle. Looks beautiful, shaves closely and over a wide variety of angles so it's easy to do so, and glides smoothly enough that it's a little addictive. I've used it almost exclusively this week over my Game Changers/Mamba 70 and an almost new Merkur Progress which says something. The blade alignment stuff is a mild annoyance but not enough to make me reach for a different razor (this week; next week may well be different!).

Current brush - APShaveCo SynBad in faux marble. I have a custom handle on a Cashmere knot which is even softer, but the handle shape is annoying so I reach for the SynBad more. Soft, splays easily for face lathering, lathers very quickly and makes a nice creamy lather.

Soaps & Creams - I change this up daily; currently having fun with Proraso Green and Oleo's Seibo whichis nice and chocolatey.

Aftershaves - currently varies between nothing if I'm in a hurry, Stirling's Lime, Spieck, and Thayer's cucumber. Hydrating, no burn, feels good afterwards, and their scents range from good to great.

Your question is a pretty big can of worms, but I'll bite. Here goes!

I love my DE razor collection (modern and vintage) because they shave well, are comfortable, look cool, and make shaving an enjoyable/rewarding experience so that it's become a hobby. Same for my brushes, SE razors, my 1-2 shavettes, collection of soaps and creams, a few bowls, . . .

For more specifics, I'll be briefer than normal.

Current razor - Fatip Gentile in gold with fat handle. Looks beautiful, shaves closely and over a wide variety of angles so it's easy to do so, and glides smoothly enough that it's a little addictive. I've used it almost exclusively this week over my Game Changers/Mamba 70 and an almost new Merkur Progress which says something. The blade alignment stuff is a mild annoyance but not enough to make me reach for a different razor (this week; next week may well be different!).

Current brush - APShaveCo SynBad in faux marble. I have a custom handle on a Cashmere knot which is even softer, but the handle shape is annoying so I reach for the SynBad more. Soft, splays easily for face lathering, lathers very quickly and makes a nice creamy lather.

Soaps & Creams - I change this up daily; currently having fun with Proraso Green and Oleo's Seibo whichis nice and chocolatey.

Aftershaves - currently varies between nothing if I'm in a hurry, Stirling's Lime, Spieck, and Thayer's cucumber. Hydrating, no burn, feels good afterwards, and their scents range from good to great.
The Fatipe Razors look interesting and seem to be priced reasonably. Very interesting that this one is chrome plated Brass. I think that's old style. What kind of Blade alignment problem do they have.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Brush: Simpson Chubby 1 Manchurian in faux dark tortoiseshell - because it feels great when face lathering, is the perfect size, looks good, performs superbly, and makes me smile.

Soap: Tabac - fabulous performance, easy to lather, very inexpensive, wonderful aroma.

Razor: Eclipse Red Ring - it is very smooth, an accurate and precision shaving tool. It looks great and somehow feels like no other razor I have ever used.

After shave: Vintage Faberge Brut, before the Brut 33 rebrand - because this is what my Dad smelled like. When I put this on and close my eyes the years roll away and he is with me again. I can see him in my mind and picture myself as a child sitting on his knee. It comforts me and makes me feel good about life and about myself. It is not the scent itself, but rather what the scent does. It has a value to me far more than money, you cannot put a price on it. It changes mere shaving into something much much more. I will never be without it.

Actually there is no best.

But You've chosen your Shaving Cream, Brush, Razor and Blade because you think it's the best for you. I think it's very interesting why everyone makes there decision before and after the sale.

For Example:

I'm using:

Pre-shave DIY Oil → 40% Castor Oil +30% Jojoba +30% Grapeseed The Grapeseed and Jojoba thin out the Castor Oil. I think that it helps soften the beard

Col Conks Glycerin Soap combined with Proraso Cream Green Packaging → Neither one on it's own soaps up very well but when combined they work together to make a really good lather. Very Protective. I found out about this when I was reading reviews of the Col Conk Glycerin Soap. One reviewer gave it a 4 because he said that it didn't foam much on it's own but when combined with the Taylor Sandalwood cream it worked great.

Parker Silver Tip Badger Brush → Great Brush very soft on the outside but stiffens up.→ Abused it with Hot Water and hasn't lost a single bristle. I was totally confused when it came time to buying a Brush. I figured that Parker was a reputable company that has been around awhile and there price was reasonable. Oh and so many recommended the Silver Badger.

Parker Variant Razor.
I bought it because it had good reviews on YouTube. It's very heavy weighing in at 110g. As a reference a Merkur 34c weighs in at 68g. It also has a long handle.
I enjoy the heft, the adjust-ability and a better feeling of control that a long handle gives me. BTW Setting 3 is a great Shave, Not too Aggressive and not too weak.

Personna Red Package Made in Israel Blades→ This is the best blade that I've run across. The sharpness measures 41 whereas most razor blades are less sharp Except the Feather which weigh in at around 32. The Nacet is a little sharper around a 39 but I don't like the second shave on the Nacet maybe because it goes down to a 35. I tried the Personna Reds because so many raved about them. I wasn't disappointed. If you are interested in how sharp different blades are and how durable go to this SITE to see how the different Razors tested out

Welcome to B&B, Sir ZSHAVEGUY!

So many great shaving sets!
Enjoy your journeys!!

penhaligon's blenheim bouquet muehle pils december 31 2019.jpg

Mine is the best because I like it.
I like my Gillette Rocket because its a great razor and I think its kind of cool that it was made in England. I like my Simpson Special S1 because it lathers like a beast and its kind of cool that it was handmade in England. I like my TOBS shaving cream because its slick, makes great lather and is very affordable.
I like my Dove AS balm because its cheap and does a great job of soothing my skin after the shave.
The jury is still out on blades.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member

The best DE I've used is my OC Fatip Grande. Why I consider it the best is because it has minimal blade gap and generous blade exposure of a rigidly held blade.

The best SE I've used is my GEM MMOC. Its a Fatip Grande on steroids. As good as my Grande is, the MMOC is better in every way. Its twice as efficient, yet smoother.

The best brush I've used is my $10 Maggard 22mm Plissoft type synthetic. I love that little brush.

My best soaps and creams are the ones that my skin gets along with the most. The test for that is with a fresh Feather blade. If I feel no harshness from the blade (that I struggled with for a year) when I try a new soap or cream, I know the product I'm using makes my skin soft and supple enough so that I dont feel any harshness. Because I have found soaps and creams that are a better match for my skin, Feather blades have moved up a rung or 3 on my top blade list.

Well, here's what I generally use.

Razor - Wolfman WR2 .95 SB Ti - this thing is about as nice as it gets when it comes to a safety razor. After trying just about everything out there this is where I landed. I have this razor in Stainless Steel as well but prefer the titanium version. Slightly smoother maybe due to a lighter touch due to the reduced weight.

Brush - Black Eagle HT1, Varlet or Mozingo (ZT1 and ZT2) - these are all really, really nice brushes. The best of the best in my opinion. I have a few Declaration Grooming brushes that get thrown into the mix as well (D2, D4 and D5).

Blades - Feather - the sharpest blade I can find.

Soap - My own self made soap because I'm crazy particular and I made it to be exactly what I like in a soap.

Aftershave - Maol Grooming or Tallow & Steel splashes. When it comes to a splash nothing compares to these two. If it's not one of these then I'll reach for a balm.

I've tried just about everything out there and if this isn't the very best stuff available then I don't know what is.

Muhle R41 2011 version

Feather blade (I discard after two shaves)

Brush RR 400 Plissoft with a long handle (Not sure the technical name)

Soap RR Mudder Focker, Tuscan Oud, Stallion, ven der haggen scented luxury soap (way better than you'd think)
these are the ones I use the most.

Aftershave...good lord...
rotation of..
suavecito whiskey bar, Whiskey woods clubman, brandy spice clubman, Master smokey oud mixed with Master checkered flag, Suavecito sandal wood cream, Oxy cream in a tube from France ( no idea where the hell I got that )
and some more I'm forgetting.

No preshave mix, no beard oil, none of that stuff. Shower, fill sink a few inches of hot water. Whip up lather, make 4 passes, rinse with cold water. Clean up excess soap from brush and bowl, apply aftershave, enjoy BBS

good day

Here's my favorite equipment.

Razor - RR Mamba. Mild but efficient and comfortable.

Brush - Craving Shaving Summerstorm. This has a 26mm Duro knot and it feel amazing/performs even better.

Soap - Stirling Orange Chill. Real Orange scent with menthol. Can't beat it.

Blade - Astra SP. It just works all the time.

Post-shave - Thayer's WH. Mild and moisturizing. Every day postshave

The Fatipe Razors look interesting and seem to be priced reasonably. Very interesting that this one is chrome plated Brass. I think that's old style. What kind of Blade alignment problem do they have.

The Fatip razor guide posts are slightly narrower at the bottom, so the blade has the potential to move around slightly as you're putting the razor together. The easiest way to avoid this (or mostly avoid this) is to lay the cap down flat, put the blade on, push the baseplate down to hold the blade in place, and then screw the handle on while holding the baseplate down. By doing this, it has helped me to seat the blade either normally or close enough that the shave and blade exposure/angle appears normal to me. It takes an extra 10 seconds or so. Given how the razor shaves, now that I've tried it, I consider it a minor irritation. Before I tried the razor out, it seemed to be a bigger problem than it has been, at least so far.

My kit is the ‘best’ for me because it works!! (If something does not work well then it goes.)

Most days:
Razor: Wolfman WR1/WRH2 handle
Blades (top-tier): GSB, Astra SP, Nacet, Personna lab, Personna red
Brushes: selection of badgers from Simpsons and Rudy Vey
Soaps: Haslinger‘s tallow (all 8), MWF, multiple Fine, Cella, La Toja and a few others
Splashes: Too many to count!

Mostly, I get to enjoy my daily shaves!! :a29: :a29:

Top Bottom