What's new

Why is thread & post editing time limited?

I am on several pipe smoking and cigar forums and the drama can get real old quickly. I appreciate the mod team here and the basically drama free threads tremendously. If a short edit window helps them keep it clean, I’m all for it. That said I would like to fix my first post after receiving my gorgeous STF Rudy Vey brush that I called a STP lol. Horrible mistake yet not nearly as awful as yours @lordmerc 🤣😂.

Edit: I’m joking BTW.

There are no trolls and no big egos needing to be right all the time.

You should not take this for granted, nor assume it is not a direct result of current moderation policies and a diligent team of wonderful volunteers.

If you don't create the conditions where bad actors can get a foothold, your communities will be much more resilient to their (inevitable) attempts.

Well I don’t know silverlifter. These days, I don’t even take my next breath for granted. 😂
There’s an option to remove ads and pay a fee for extra things. Perhaps one of those extra things should be longer or permanent editing?

Last edited:
I am on several pipe smoking and cigar forums and the drama can get real old quickly. I appreciate the mod team here and the basically drama free threads tremendously. If a short edit window helps them keep it clean, I’m all for it. That said I would like to fix my first post after receiving my gorgeous STF Rudy Vey brush that I called a STP lol. Horrible mistake yet not nearly as awful as yours @lordmerc 🤣😂.

I can’t handle the truth BanjoCowboyMartaTobes 😡😳😰

Edit: I still can’t. 😂

I'm the sort of person who lays in bed at night agonizing over each typo. I'm also strongly in favor of rather short edit windows. I furiously edit the plentiful typos I notice in the seconds after posting and then resign myself to an anguished eternity of shame for the ones I miss (or worse, introduce in the edit process).

No online community however gracious in the aggregate is immune from those who will (or would) rewrite or tamper with history in fits of pique (IMO).

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Well I don’t know silverlifter. These days, I don’t even take my next breath for granted. 😂
There’s an option to remove ads and pay a fee for extra things. Perhaps one of those extra things should be longer or permanent editing?

As I said earlier, this is a possibility that is being discussed for certain levels, but NOTHING done here is ever done quickly.
It has to be hashed, rehashed, and every possible ramification considered before it's implemented.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
As I said earlier, this is a possibility that is being discussed for certain levels, but NOTHING done here is ever done quickly.
It has to be hashed, rehashed, and every possible ramification considered before it's implemented.
The problem with paying extra for longer/permanent editing time is that there's always those few jackasses who will abuse the system.
Kind of like at my Club. There are members who argue for the "jump to the head of the queue" feature for an extra credit or two on the TouchTunes juke box so they can hear their song next. They're the same members who will get all kinds of angry & nearly go postal when someone else jumps their tune up to the top, especially if it's a genre they hate.
I just spent an extra 5 minutes going over this post to correct AutoKerplunk's corrections of my words. Probably still missed one or two.

So kinda like government work... ;)

It seems the edit window may even be shorter than I thought. Maybe only 15 minutes!??! I just read a post it shows I made 16 minutes, saw a typo, and could not edit to correct. I think that's way out of step with modern forum management but it ain't my forum.

Last edited:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
15 minutes would be correct for registered members with less than 50 posts or 45 days.
50/45 members have 45 minutes.
Rather than after the fact, do the proof read / spell check before hitting
1.jpg

Last edited:

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member

Edit: I’m joking BTW.
What are you talking about it says STF. :lol::lol:

Will there be any movement of this? It's really a poor layout decision to keep editing at 15 minutes. I suspect if whoever owns this place ran a poll, the majority of members would vote for an extension to at least a few hours.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Will there be any movement of this? It's really a poor layout decision to keep editing at 15 minutes. I suspect if whoever owns this place ran a poll, the majority of members would vote for an extension to at least a few hours.
I've answered this question, in this thread, twice.
I've explained why.
So here's the definitive answer: No, there should be no expectation that this will ever happen.
If it ever happens, upon yon distant day, it will be a pleasant surprise.
I suspect that if the owners ran a poll, the majority of members would vote for free cash at least a couple of times a year.

Top Bottom